Things you wish you knew about freshwater fish that you know now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stock issues
My first tank was a ten gallon, with a Jack jempsey, an auratus, a dinosaur bichir, 2gouramis, and a common pleco. Talk about a recipe for disaster! Also, cycling was a big one. If I'd known about that I would've saved myself much stress and money.

christine2012 said:
Stock issues
My first tank was a ten gallon, with a Jack jempsey, an auratus, a dinosaur bichir, 2gouramis, and a common pleco. Talk about a recipe for disaster! Also, cycling was a big one. If I'd known about that I would've saved myself much stress and money.

Dang, how long did that work for?

Maxkolbe said:
Dang, how long did that work for?

Not long at all. Then my husband started buying me books as a hint hint. Lol! Actually none of them died! I just rehomed all but the Jack and the bichir which I miraculously was able to get them to cohabitate in a larger tank by themselves. I learned the hard way, but sometimes that's the best way.

Well im not much better now as this is my 2nd tank but my 1st tank as a teenager prolly 16 was a 10gal that i purchased fish from a lfs had 3 neon tetras 2 black moore n a betta..didnt know anything except dont overfeed n change ur filter..changed filter n 100% of the water 1 time each month..actually worked fine for 6mths then i added a heater for winter months (which was what i thought was correct) left my mom to tend to my fish while i left for camp for a week cme home to dead fish shw didnt plug n my heater 1 night woke up to ice floatin in the tank an frozen fish she tried to thaw them by plugin n the heater again..it was bad..

I have to agree with knowing how addicting it is. I started off with getting a 10 gal for my daughter because she always wanted to look at the fish when we went to the pet store. We now have 2 ten gal 1 two and a half gal 1 sixty gal and 1 twenty nine gal. I want another 60 at least to do a salt water. all my tanks are fresh water at this point.

+1 started with a 20 now I have 2 10 gallons the 20 gallon a 29 gallon and a 55 gallon plus I had two other ten gallons I have broken down that I'll use for qt from time to time.

Well one trip to the pet store and I am now the proud new owner of yet again another fish tank, I got a real good deal on a 20 gal marieneland tank it came with a penguin 150 bio wheel and LED hood, so now have 6 tanks total, my husband said if I keep buying fish tanks that I need to start a fish store so at least I could make a little money back on my investments.

Where to put my 150! The thing will weigh around 1,200 lbs
Its going to be in th unfinished basement most likely
Sigh- what is the point of it when it is all the way down there?
By the way, do you think the house will hold that much weight on the first floor if built to code 20 years ago?

if you can see the cross members in the un finished basement, you can try to locate a place that makes certain the tank is sitting on those but it should be ok. if you have any doubt you can place braces in the basement from the floor to the rafters down there to re enforce the floor and then enjoy your aquarium up in the main floor. I think you would be ok with out the reinforcement but wouldn't be a bad idea

I have worked in the building trade for years, if i could see your house it would help but with out looking personally I am un sure. If you put braces in the basement that will make certain that your tank will be fine and will cause no damage to your home.

+1 braces would be great best way to ensure you will be good some floor to ceiling braces in the basement you could even build an extra room down there if you wanted give extra support. I have built rooms before in a day but I have been doing construction for 10 years but it's honestly pretty easy if you have a chalk line a level some screws and a drill.

Back
Top Bottom