Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NigelK8485's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
Yes well I was also just told that I must be in Alcoholics Anonymous for using the AA acronym. I am in high school.


Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I used to be in Narcotics Anonymous! We could be anonymous buddies


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
NigelK8485 is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
I'm special! My mom tells me so
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I'm special! My mom tells me so
Yah.. you're special all right..."these snozberries taste like snozberries!!!" Mebbid. . Stop licking the School bus windows..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Yah.. you're special all right..."these snozberries taste like snozberries!!!" Mebbid. . Stop licking the School bus windows..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Don't knock it till you've tried it brook
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
aqua_chem's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,936
Read the title. Read the OP. Now I've got this song stuck in my head:

Ugh

Great work.

I just finished a stint in a major area ER, and I think some of the lessons are pretty relevant to the conversation at hand. First off, people can be dumb as heck, and it's not limited to our hobby. Stupidity is a force of nature, plan on it happening repeatedly. Whether people are setting up a tank or working on a roof, they're going to do something stupid, they're going to hurt something, and they'll wind up in your care because of it.

To that end, I've always found threads like this to be extremely counter productive. People sometimes forget that the goal should never be to simply be right, but to help the other person. Threads like this always reek of 'told you so' and a sense of self superiority that helps no one, and comes across as extremely off-putting to people who might be in need of help.

Some threads ARE frustrating, and I assure you that everyone who sticks to the hobby long enough to acquire a large knowledge base has the same feelings. People are bullheaded, impulsive, and often times plain ignorant of the endeavors they undertake; they're also human at the end of the day. You should always try to keep that in mind when you come across threads like you mention. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But you also shouldn't hit the horse because he's won't drink. Someday he's going to get thirsty, and he'll remember that.
__________________
Algae creates 75% of the world's oxygen, so really we're all just doing our parts...
aqua_chem is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FWFishTanks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Or putting a Astronotus ocellatus in a 50g because that's what all the cool kids are doing now.
Lol, nailed it! I see oscars in tanks like that all the time. The "cool kids" also feed em un quarantined feeders.
__________________
FWFishTanks is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I've been around here a little while.. still learning alot.. lately I've been seeing a lot of braggin about doing things your own way.. throwing caution to the wind. That's fine. Great! You're doing it peter!! You're flying! !! All I ask is this.. please start your thread with your history, current stock, setup, lots of details.and pictures, lots if pictures with good explanation.. may get a little more out of the thread?? Us and you.. seeking out praise can quickly backfire without proper tactics. Thanks.. end rant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app






Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
Read the title. Read the OP. Now I've got this song stuck in my head:

Ugh

Great work.

I just finished a stint in a major area ER, and I think some of the lessons are pretty relevant to the conversation at hand. First off, people can be dumb as heck, and it's not limited to our hobby. Stupidity is a force of nature, plan on it happening repeatedly. Whether people are setting up a tank or working on a roof, they're going to do something stupid, they're going to hurt something, and they'll wind up in your care because of it.

To that end, I've always found threads like this to be extremely counter productive. People sometimes forget that the goal should never be to simply be right, but to help the other person. Threads like this always reek of 'told you so' and a sense of self superiority that helps no one, and comes across as extremely off-putting to people who might be in need of help.

Some threads ARE frustrating, and I assure you that everyone who sticks to the hobby long enough to acquire a large knowledge base has the same feelings. People are bullheaded, impulsive, and often times plain ignorant of the endeavors they undertake; they're also human at the end of the day. You should always try to keep that in mind when you come across threads like you mention. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But you also shouldn't hit the horse because he's won't drink. Someday he's going to get thirsty, and he'll remember that.
I didnt tell anyone anything? I've never said I told you so in my life. I'll put my 2 cents in my change cup before wasting it on most.. Now..all I was asking.. want to brag? Fine.. back it up with sound knowledge and evidence, that way we won't have a tomato brigade (including myself) on hand. I don't think I'm better than anyone or anything. I waste money on a pointless hobby because it makes me happy, i need it at this point, therapy baby! I just can't stand all this discus bragging lately and that's really the point of me starting this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
aqua_chem's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Now..all I was asking.. want to brag? Fine.. back it up with sound knowledge and evidence, that way we won't have a tomato brigade (including myself) on hand.
Then don't throw tomatoes. Present your argument, present your proof. Drown the naysayers in facts and evidence. If you're right, you're right. If you're wrong, learn something. If you present a well researched, well thought out argument and get incoherent babbling as a response (pretty typical), then it speaks for itself generally. Either way, a passive-aggressive letter to some anonymous poster accomplishes nothing.
__________________
Algae creates 75% of the world's oxygen, so really we're all just doing our parts...
aqua_chem is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I didnt tell anyone anything? I've never said I told you so in my life. I'll put my 2 cents in my change cup before wasting it on most.. Now..all I was asking.. want to brag? Fine.. back it up with sound knowledge and evidence, that way we won't have a tomato brigade (including myself) on hand. I don't think I'm better than anyone or anything. I waste money on a pointless hobby because it makes me happy, i need it at this point, therapy baby! I just can't stand all this discus bragging lately and that's really the point of me starting this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I feel ya Brookster. When you've been in the hobby long enough, you will have many times when you just want to shake some sense into some people. ( But you can't ) So the best you can do is just relay the facts, know you've done what you can, and let the chips fall where they may. It's not your dime they are wasting, it's there's. When the dog comes round to bite them in the butt, just explain that if they were nicer to the dog, it wouldn't have bitten. Not everyone will agree but that's on them. Unfortunately, fish are not like Dogs, cats or other cuddly critters we keep as pets. And as such, they do pay the price for our ignorance or arrogance. Just look at all the reconfiguring that fish have gone through. Bent spines, elongated fins, squished bodies.... all unnatural adaptations. No wonder fish get no respect. They are the Rodney Dangerfields of the pet world.
However, as my Mom always told me, " It's not what you say, but how you say it."

Oh, and she told me I "was special" too.
__________________
Andy Sager is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
emerald76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK8485 View Post
I used to be in Narcotics Anonymous! We could be anonymous buddies


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hehe but no, never touched drugs or alcohol and I don't intend to. I used AA as in aquarium advice lol


Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic
__________________

__________________
It's not a dumb question if you ask it.
Too many tanks? GASP! How could that be?
emerald76 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Days - 100 Hermits - The Special You asked for! Reefs2go.com Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 04-26-2012 05:41 PM
Save up to 15% off when you order - this special ends 1/4/2012 + Freebies today Reefs2go.com Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 01-03-2012 02:55 PM
Cleaner Shrimp Special, 10% Off Ends today and Freebies when you spend 40++ Reefs2go.com Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 12-27-2011 12:24 PM
A special thank you to our AA members who also serve in the US Armed Forces eco23 Aquaria Off-Topic 16 07-04-2011 03:36 PM
o-o I think my molly is special -seen? heard? Puriti Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 12-27-2006 03:29 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.