Think you're special??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes well I was also just told that I must be in Alcoholics Anonymous for using the AA acronym. I am in high school.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I used to be in Narcotics Anonymous! We could be anonymous buddies

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm special! My mom tells me so

Yah.. you're special all right..."these snozberries taste like snozberries!!!" Mebbid. . Stop licking the School bus windows.. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yah.. you're special all right..."these snozberries taste like snozberries!!!" Mebbid. . Stop licking the School bus windows.. ;)

Don't knock it till you've tried it brook

Read the title. Read the OP. Now I've got this song stuck in my head:

Ugh

Great work.

I just finished a stint in a major area ER, and I think some of the lessons are pretty relevant to the conversation at hand. First off, people can be dumb as heck, and it's not limited to our hobby. Stupidity is a force of nature, plan on it happening repeatedly. Whether people are setting up a tank or working on a roof, they're going to do something stupid, they're going to hurt something, and they'll wind up in your care because of it.

To that end, I've always found threads like this to be extremely counter productive. People sometimes forget that the goal should never be to simply be right, but to help the other person. Threads like this always reek of 'told you so' and a sense of self superiority that helps no one, and comes across as extremely off-putting to people who might be in need of help.

Some threads ARE frustrating, and I assure you that everyone who sticks to the hobby long enough to acquire a large knowledge base has the same feelings. People are bullheaded, impulsive, and often times plain ignorant of the endeavors they undertake; they're also human at the end of the day. You should always try to keep that in mind when you come across threads like you mention. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But you also shouldn't hit the horse because he's won't drink. Someday he's going to get thirsty, and he'll remember that.

Or putting a Astronotus ocellatus in a 50g because that's what all the cool kids are doing now.

Lol, nailed it! I see oscars in tanks like that all the time. The "cool kids" also feed em un quarantined feeders.

I've been around here a little while.. still learning alot.. lately I've been seeing a lot of braggin about doing things your own way.. throwing caution to the wind. That's fine. Great! You're doing it peter!! You're flying! !! All I ask is this.. please start your thread with your history, current stock, setup, lots of details.and pictures, lots if pictures with good explanation.. may get a little more out of the thread?? Us and you.. seeking out praise can quickly backfire without proper tactics. Thanks.. end rant

Read the title. Read the OP. Now I've got this song stuck in my head:

Ugh

Great work.

I just finished a stint in a major area ER, and I think some of the lessons are pretty relevant to the conversation at hand. First off, people can be dumb as heck, and it's not limited to our hobby. Stupidity is a force of nature, plan on it happening repeatedly. Whether people are setting up a tank or working on a roof, they're going to do something stupid, they're going to hurt something, and they'll wind up in your care because of it.

To that end, I've always found threads like this to be extremely counter productive. People sometimes forget that the goal should never be to simply be right, but to help the other person. Threads like this always reek of 'told you so' and a sense of self superiority that helps no one, and comes across as extremely off-putting to people who might be in need of help.

Some threads ARE frustrating, and I assure you that everyone who sticks to the hobby long enough to acquire a large knowledge base has the same feelings. People are bullheaded, impulsive, and often times plain ignorant of the endeavors they undertake; they're also human at the end of the day. You should always try to keep that in mind when you come across threads like you mention. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But you also shouldn't hit the horse because he's won't drink. Someday he's going to get thirsty, and he'll remember that.

I didnt tell anyone anything? I've never said I told you so in my life. I'll put my 2 cents in my change cup before wasting it on most.. Now..all I was asking.. want to brag? Fine.. back it up with sound knowledge and evidence, that way we won't have a tomato brigade (including myself) on hand. I don't think I'm better than anyone or anything. I waste money on a pointless hobby because it makes me happy, i need it at this point, therapy baby! I just can't stand all this discus bragging lately and that's really the point of me starting this thread.

Now..all I was asking.. want to brag? Fine.. back it up with sound knowledge and evidence, that way we won't have a tomato brigade (including myself) on hand.

Then don't throw tomatoes. Present your argument, present your proof. Drown the naysayers in facts and evidence. If you're right, you're right. If you're wrong, learn something. If you present a well researched, well thought out argument and get incoherent babbling as a response (pretty typical), then it speaks for itself generally. Either way, a passive-aggressive letter to some anonymous poster accomplishes nothing.

I didnt tell anyone anything? I've never said I told you so in my life. I'll put my 2 cents in my change cup before wasting it on most.. Now..all I was asking.. want to brag? Fine.. back it up with sound knowledge and evidence, that way we won't have a tomato brigade (including myself) on hand. I don't think I'm better than anyone or anything. I waste money on a pointless hobby because it makes me happy, i need it at this point, therapy baby! I just can't stand all this discus bragging lately and that's really the point of me starting this thread.

I feel ya Brookster. (y) When you've been in the hobby long enough, you will have many times when you just want to shake some sense into some people. ( But you can't :facepalm: ) So the best you can do is just relay the facts, know you've done what you can, and let the chips fall where they may. It's not your dime they are wasting, it's there's. When the dog comes round to bite them in the butt, just explain that if they were nicer to the dog, it wouldn't have bitten. ;) Not everyone will agree but that's on them. Unfortunately, fish are not like Dogs, cats or other cuddly critters we keep as pets. And as such, they do pay the price for our ignorance or arrogance. Just look at all the reconfiguring that fish have gone through. Bent spines, elongated fins, squished bodies.... all unnatural adaptations. No wonder fish get no respect. They are the Rodney Dangerfields of the pet world.
However, as my Mom always told me, " It's not what you say, but how you say it." (y)

Oh, and she told me I "was special" too. :brows: :lol: (y)

I used to be in Narcotics Anonymous! We could be anonymous buddies

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hehe but no, never touched drugs or alcohol and I don't intend to. I used AA as in aquarium advice lol :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

My personal favorites are the "I know my tanks to small, but the fish isn't full grown yet, now why does it have ich?" posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My personal favorites are the "I know my tanks to small, but the fish isn't full grown yet, now why does it have ich?" posts.

Or the "I know my Pleco will out grow my 10g but it's small right now. So why do I have such a high bio load?"

My new favorite. . "I have a pair of apistos in a 20 long.." are you going to add anything else?? ......."nope... they're good." Your turn AA :p.. Uh ohh, that may be a touch self superioric... mehh.. heheh

So what am I supposed to do now? I have lots of tomatoes, special tomatoes ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So what am I supposed to do now? I have lots of tomatoes, special tomatoes ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are they Cherokee purple? I'll eat those like an apple. Sweetest tomatoes I've ever had.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom