Think you're special??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been around here a little while.. still learning alot.. lately I've been seeing a lot of braggin about doing things your own way.. throwing caution to the wind. That's fine. Great! You're doing it peter!! You're flying! !! All I ask is this.. please start your thread with your history, current stock, setup, lots of details.and pictures, lots if pictures with good explanation.. may get a little more out of the thread?? Us and you.. seeking out praise can quickly backfire without proper tactics. Thanks.. end rant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finally someone has come out to say it! In the past two days I've been called a "bro" (I'm a girl), boring, ignorant, stupid, an alien from Pluto, and tasteless.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I saw an alien once... someone posted a "what is this" thread on tpt.. clearly it was an aquatic alien.. no one agreed though..

Hope it wasn't me! Was it wearing a scuba tank and had blond hair? That'd be concerning. :)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Finally someone has come out to say it! In the past two days I've been called a "bro" (I'm a girl), boring, ignorant, stupid, an alien from Pluto, and tasteless.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Don't think I would call someone with a pink flower avatar Bro. Unless it was in the generic Broness way like whats up bro hahaha. Who still uses the word bro?

Oh and yes I think I'm special :) my mom said so.

In all seriousness its names like you were called that made me venture to friendlier forums I am just now back giving it a second try.

I've noticed this a lot as well, kinda puts me off joining in on some thread's.

55 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

Some of he threads get a little wacky, and people forget opinions are opinions. There are strong recommendations which should be suggested but we have to remember we are on the internet and you can't stop people sometimes. Gettin into heated arguments seems silly when people are 100's of miles from one another. There are some great voices on here that I've learned a lot from but there's also plenty of threads that just go way off course. The best you can do is get your opinion in and back it up with your properly cared for tank! No need to start something and take away from a thread, especially when it's 2 members arguing and the op is just getting bombed with crap lol.

This is also part of the reason I try to stay away from certain threads. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been around here a little while.. still learning alot.. lately I've been seeing a lot of braggin about doing things your own way.. throwing caution to the wind. That's fine. Great! You're doing it peter!! You're flying! !! All I ask is this.. please start your thread with your history, current stock, setup, lots of details.and pictures, lots if pictures with good explanation.. may get a little more out of the thread?? Us and you.. seeking out praise can quickly backfire without proper tactics. Thanks.. end rant

Since most people in those positions don't read or do research what makes you think they'll see this and or care?

Since most people in those positions don't read or do research what makes you think they'll see this and or care?

I don't even care man.. was just watching paint dry and fired off a few words:)
Edit. Shouldn't say I don't care.. i just don't want people new.to the site cruise a couple wacky threads and make mistakes based off these.. specifics will atleast give them a little less of a chance of utter failure if that makes sense..

Last edited:
I don't even care man.. was just watching paint dry and fired off a few words:)

I'm just saying usually it's a newer member who comes on and brags about "it's working for me and I've had my tank up for two weeks now without a problem". They are not going to read this or care about others opinions, you know how this forum thing works by now. Just like its cool to keep Astronotus ocellatus in a goldfish bowl...

I'm just saying usually it's a newer member who comes on and brags about "it's working for me and I've had my tank up for two weeks now without a problem". They are not going to read this or care about others opinions, you know how this forum thing works by now. Just like its cool to keep Astronotus ocellatus in a goldfish bowl...

I'm going to get a Beta and name him Oscar and post pics of my Oscar in a bowl.

Ohh you and those Latin words... it's not that much to ask.. elaborate is all.. people love talking about themselves so much.. think they wouldn't mind sharing "useful" information. I post everything that happens in my tanks. Bad and bad. If it could save one person the trouble than I'll drink to that!

I've seen a lot of these 'empty' posts especially in the Cichlid discussion. A lot of times you'll see people post a thread titled 'Cichlid id' well that can mean literally thousands of fish. And then when you open up the thread its either a terribly worded and other wise hopelessly useless description or a photo of the fish darting through the tank at Mach 2 with a camera from a flip phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm..... I'm special and I know it. Pink elephants are as cool as did you see the unicorn ??

Ok, all joking aside. I know what you're saying. That's why I wrote the thread a while back about expert newbies.

Ive ran into issues with none of my questions getting replies. I am not sure if I am just not posting in the right area or people just do not know the answers.

Good points from you all. At some point, it seemed that sites such as this one became more a place to just see your words on the internet rather than seriously helping others. I've stopped looking at many of the threads here because they either make no sense or there is no attempt by the OP to listen to sound advice.
The best advice I can offer is to NEVER impulse buy fish. Do your homework first! If you are buying fish from an "assorted...." tank, you better know what you are buying before you bring it home. While it may work in the assorted tank at the store, it might not work with YOUR assortment. There should never be threads " What fish is this that I just bought?" IMO
As for speaking fish names in Latin, that used to be more common amongst the "real" hobbyists. :brows: Common names can be regional but Latin names are universal ( until a whole bunch of fish and corals got reclassified :facepalm: ). I just don;t have it in me anymore to learn all the new names. :) And you can stick that in your Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus :D (y)

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

B-but women are from Venus...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes well I was also just told that I must be in Alcoholics Anonymous for using the AA acronym. I am in high school.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom