Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a classic.

This sounds so cliche, but I need some advice on convincing my mom that a ten gal. freshwater aquarium will be safe for her (really my) precious furniture. I'm wanting to put it in my room, but she says she imagines water damage and scratches from where I'm pulling it off of its shelf for maintenance. Well if you've got any tips, I'd love to here your input.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Put a towel underneath. And with regular maintenece using a gravel vaccum you will never have to remove the tank off the shelf. I keep my tanks on bedroom furniture, have for 4 yeras now, and have never damaged any due to water or surface scrapes.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
it'll be fine, but why would you be moving it for maintenance? A tank should never be moved with anything in it, even if it's the gravel. The bottom of the tank is not designed for that type of a load.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I agree that under usual circumstances the tank shouldn't need to be moved.

You might want to consider getting a piece of plexiglass cut to the shape of the shelf or the top of the furniture (maybe a tiny bit bigger) you are going to put it on to prevent water damage when doing water changes.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Definately put something under it like a towel. We put a 10 gal tank on a table and didn't move it for 6 months. When we finally did, the varnish had come off around the edge of the tank. We did have a towel under it, but I think it helped not take off "as much".
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Also, what type of "shelf" are you talking about? A full 10 gal will weigh somewhere around 100 lbs, which is more than I would put on most shelves, short of industrial-style ones. A bureau, sturdy table or desk would do just fine, though.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com