This is a classic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Aquarium Advice Activist
This sounds so cliche, but I need some advice on convincing my mom that a ten gal. freshwater aquarium will be safe for her (really my) precious furniture. I'm wanting to put it in my room, but she says she imagines water damage and scratches from where I'm pulling it off of its shelf for maintenance. Well if you've got any tips, I'd love to here your input.

-Blizzard.

Put a towel underneath. And with regular maintenece using a gravel vaccum you will never have to remove the tank off the shelf. I keep my tanks on bedroom furniture, have for 4 yeras now, and have never damaged any due to water or surface scrapes.

it'll be fine, but why would you be moving it for maintenance? A tank should never be moved with anything in it, even if it's the gravel. The bottom of the tank is not designed for that type of a load.

I agree that under usual circumstances the tank shouldn't need to be moved.

You might want to consider getting a piece of plexiglass cut to the shape of the shelf or the top of the furniture (maybe a tiny bit bigger) you are going to put it on to prevent water damage when doing water changes.

Definately put something under it like a towel. We put a 10 gal tank on a table and didn't move it for 6 months. When we finally did, the varnish had come off around the edge of the tank. We did have a towel under it, but I think it helped not take off "as much".

Also, what type of "shelf" are you talking about? A full 10 gal will weigh somewhere around 100 lbs, which is more than I would put on most shelves, short of industrial-style ones. A bureau, sturdy table or desk would do just fine, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom