Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Ya..ever seen one of those videos that talks about those cow fattening farms? Where they are fed corn for a certain number of weeks before they are killed...those arent too jolly either
I haven't and I do not want to

Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
That's how crawdads are cooked too. I don't see an issue with it. I also think this was a dramatized video that any animal rights activist or extremist vegetarian could have created in an attempt at making cooking lobster a bad thing.
You're probably right. The girl was Vegan and Im sure they make the videos look worse but if any of these farms are half as bad as the other videos on this girls page it would still be terrible

Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm from Maine, I've cooked a lot of lobster, and IME if you do put them into hot water, they die instantly, but how most ppl I know do it is that they put them in with cold water and that way they slowly heat up and don't know the difference, just die.(frogs will do the same) there is a video on YouTube of my dad, cousin and I putting lobster "to sleep" that shows how close to their shells their neural system is. It can be found under the title of "sweet lobster dreams" and was filmed in cape cod a few summers ago.I also do eat lobster, but that's cause I don't like it. I've also seen some huge ones. As you can see below. This things claw was the size of my shoe, and it was as long as a dishwasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111102_110921.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	59177  
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarchic11
I'm from Maine, I've cooked a lot of lobster, and IME if you do put them into hot water, they die instantly, but how most ppl I know do it is that they put them in with cold water and that way they slowly heat up and don't know the difference, just die.(frogs will do the same) there is a video on YouTube of my dad, cousin and I putting lobster "to sleep" that shows how close to their shells their neural system is. It can be found under the title of "sweet lobster dreams" and was filmed in cape cod a few summers ago.I also do eat lobster, but that's cause I don't like it. I've also seen some huge ones. As you can see below. This things claw was the size of my shoe, and it was as long as a dishwasher.
Oh my god, that thing is massive!!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They get bigger.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I hope not!!! Why did davey jones want a kraken when he could have THAT?!?!?!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

This person is well-known for being overdramatic about her arguments on animal rights. I'm sure most if not all US restaurants have policies about putting the animals in boiling water, not heating it up slowly. Instant death. Very little pain involved.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Being from Newfoundland Canada I have eaten my fiar share of lobster, I have never cooked them but I remember when my mom cooked them there was very little water in the pot 2" maybe and the lobsters were more steamed rather than boiled. They never had much suffering bc they only moved around in the pot for a few seconds before dying. I think this story of a friends friend chef(or whatever) is bogus!

I enjoy eating seafood and meat and i believe being human we are meant to eat meat/animals.

There is a human way to euthanize animals for consumption and there is an inhumane way, it's so sad when you hear stories of the inhumane.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I've never liked lobster, then again I've never tried it. I'm more of a burger 'n fries kinda guy
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The words "extremist vegetarian" made me giggle.
And we think the lobster dies instantly but how can we truly know what its like? Or if and on what level the brain is still working at and for how long? IMO we can only speculate without being a lobster ourselves.

And i think extremist overly dramatic vegans and vegetarians are really not helping their cause because people discount them as crazy.
And hey, IMO some are.

Not to say vegans and vegetarians are crazy, just stuff like PETA, whale wars, the people that vandalized my dads friends hummer bc it was polluting the earth, etc.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com