Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think everybody is entitled to eat what they want and other's need to be respectful and not ridicule and belittle others for what their beliefs are. However we are all morally obligated to show compassion and to do it humanely boiling lobster to death isn't very compassionate and it has been proven that lobsters have a very receptive nervous system and can feel pain. I eat lobster but we use a knife to severe the brain stem prior to the plunge.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can put the lobster in the fridge, then sever its brain stem and that is likely the most humane way. When it comes to putting them in boiling water, I believe I remember Alton Brown saying on Food Network that the lobster is dead in 6 seconds or less when it is placed in boiling water.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Either way, all animals are pretty much painfully killed no matter what. Cows are 'stunned' then they have their throat cut and are left to bleed out. Lamb in the same way. Turtles in other countries are bred in tiny containers in their hundreds and sold as snacks. The fish we keep are in many other countries sold as food in one form or another. Take bird nest soup for example, made of bird spit, do you picture a chef having a bird next to him hocking one up? There is some degree of animal cruelty in every country on earth.

In England we allow any Moron to buy what ever pet they want. This in it's self to me is animal cruelty. The fact is we can't stop acts like this from going on we can merely make sure we don't do it ourselves. Sure we care but do you think some poor fisherman pulling lobster out of the ocean, getting paid peanuts, for a big company to sell it to an American for an overpriced fee, really cares if the lobster he just caught might have babies inside, they are trying to feed their family like everyone else.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #64

I agree! Animal cruelty goes on in every country, doesn't make it right or acceptable and we need to all do "our" own little part to ensure we don't contribute to this problem.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadu571
Either way, all animals are pretty much painfully killed no matter what. Cows are 'stunned' then they have their throat cut and are left to bleed out. Lamb in the same way. Turtles in other countries are bred in tiny containers in their hundreds and sold as snacks. The fish we keep are in many other countries sold as food in one form or another. Take bird nest soup for example, made of bird spit, do you picture a chef having a bird next to him hocking one up? There is some degree of animal cruelty in every country on earth.

In England we allow any Moron to buy what ever pet they want. This in it's self to me is animal cruelty. The fact is we can't stop acts like this from going on we can merely make sure we don't do it ourselves. Sure we care but do you think some poor fisherman pulling lobster out of the ocean, getting paid peanuts, for a big company to sell it to an American for an overpriced fee, really cares if the lobster he just caught might have babies inside, they are trying to feed their family like everyone else.
The Canadian's say the same thing when they bash in the skulls of seals. They are just trying to feed families. Its part of their heritage. Does that make it ok then?? I don't think so.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the most common form of cruelty is people who put goldfish in 1 gallon bowls. Very common.

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenochsun78

The Canadian's say the same thing when they bash in the skulls of seals. They are just trying to feed families. Its part of their heritage. Does that make it ok then?? I don't think so.
No course not, but does it mean the seals have more right to an existence than the person they are feeding? I didn't say because it goes on its made right, it's a simple question of you doing the right thing. If each Canadian was to decide not to club seals then it wouldn't be an issue, but what right do you have to say the life of a seal is more important than the life of a child and their parents? We're top predators, that's nature. Polar bears kill seals too, you going to stop them eating as well?

What im trying to get across is that it happens and it will happen because the lowest spitter cares more for their lives and the lives of their families than they do about how an animal feels when it dies.

All WE can do is make sure we do not do the same and buy products which encourage better care of the animal.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #68

I'm agreeing with what your saying don't get me wrong however you don't see a polar bear with a hakapik killing the seal if it was up to mother nature there would be no "made man" devices to kill. Anyway it sounds like I am arguing with you and on the contrary I believe 100% in what your message is..... It is up to us not to contribute
Old 11-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I get you we do take more than we should as a species. Technology has made it easy for us to kill these animals, but still born out of a need to survive and eat. I can't argue that we kill whey too many animals and waste so much when we do.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chances are im going to die brutally or at least painfully so i say pop em in!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com