This is what is wrong with our Society

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would be surprised how many people would have sent the money, lol. I have no issues with people asking for things, but don't ask for a car and finish with as long as it is a BMW. That guy was saying things like it would be ok if it came with lights, or a sump. Lol like he will burden himself with taking all the necessary equipment as well as the tank. Don't forget the immaculate cherry wood stand and canopy either, it gets funnier every time.

Lmao, didn't catch it at first but wth is a preacher doing riding a chromed out 750? Converting the hells angels to christianity??

Yeah really. We laughed over that one for days.

Check out the musicians section sometime for some serious laughs. Stuff like:

Wanting to start a metal band. Seeking 2 guitarists, bass player, drummer, singer, manager, and keyboards.

I always want to ask what they play since that's more than a full band!

I hate the music pages on CL. I get some ridiculous low ball offers, I posted a Gibson CL 30 on there and someone sent me an offer for 400. The last one on eBay went for 1200 and had a split right down the body.

Purevil21 said:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/wan/2459151373.html

I posted a response. I have never done that before, but he keeps posting over and over and it has gotten irritating.

+1
I have seen where teachers would ask for a donation but at least there is proof of where the tank is going and what it's benign used for........ But if you really can't afford a 180-220 tank I know you can not afford the upkeep of one.

To ask for a donation is not bad but when you specify then it looks like you just want that free ride that you will not be able to keep and then end up selling it ....:-/

That would be different, a teacher wanting it for a class would be a donation for a good cause. On a side note, an aquarium would be a great thing for schools to use as a teaching method for conservation. Seeing a reef in living color how could anyone not be inspired to help save it in the wild? I always find that children stay glued to my tanks when my friends bring their kids over. They ask tons of questions and of course beg their parents to get one. Lol

Mikalicious209 said:
I got my 33g tank, stand, filter and gravel from my neighbor, but that was after I bugged her for a few weeks about tge 29g setup I was going to buy. She finally told me I could havr all of that. She wouldn't take any money or anything. I dont see a problem with handouts but I will agree that it is totally bunk to ask for a very expensive gift, and the specify as to what you want. It jusy shouldn't be that way.

Nothing wrong at all with that, I have given a few tanks away myself and the recipients were very grateful. My wife and I are about to buy a 30 gallon for a friend of ours that has a five year old. He wants a pair of clowns so bad. I am going to set it up and cycle it for them and show them how to maintain it.

For some reason, I really love this thread. It started off with a scumbag wanting a free ride, to people telling us what acts of kindness they have committed. Very nice!

I love Craigslist, but I agree--people should be willing to pay a price. I paid $50 for a nice 29 gallon aquarium with an AC50 filter, air pumps and accessories, and I feel like I got a pretty good deal. In reverse, I sold my old acoustic guitar for $80, about what it was worth. If two people have the right intentions, craigslist works brilliantly.

Just gotta ignore those trolls online!

I'll give you a box full of hair algae.

...if you pay the shipping.

Honestly, I don't know. :p You can pull some of it off with your fingers, but it might work better to use scissors. Can you put scissors in an aquarium?

I find this funny also but on the flip side you would be surprised how willing people are to just give stuff away. At one point in my career I was really hard up but I was doing enought to support my one 55g cichlid tank. I had a set of convicts that just kept breeding and I wanted to try and save some of the babies. So knowing how many unused, algae covered, fishless tanks out there I posted a quick ad asking if anyone had any small unsused tanks that they would be willing to part with. I posted I would drive anywhere in houston to pick it up.
I was so surprised the next day when a lady called me and offered me a corner tank, just come and get it. I figured it would be rough but I went to go get it. The tank is my display tank now (see my profile). It is a 54g bowfront with stand. It has very few scratches and came with a fluval 305. Sweetest lady I have ever met she just didn't want the tank anymore, it was covered in algae and you couldn't even see the foot long pleco.... it's like I always say "you might be surprised"

I find this funny also but on the flip side you would be surprised how willing people are to just give stuff away. At one point in my career I was really hard up but I was doing enought to support my one 55g cichlid tank. I had a set of convicts that just kept breeding and I wanted to try and save some of the babies. So knowing how many unused, algae covered, fishless tanks out there I posted a quick ad asking if anyone had any small unsused tanks that they would be willing to part with. I posted I would drive anywhere in houston to pick it up.
I was so surprised the next day when a lady called me and offered me a corner tank, just come and get it. I figured it would be rough but I went to go get it. The tank is my display tank now (see my profile). It is a 54g bowfront with stand. It has very few scratches and came with a fluval 305. Sweetest lady I have ever met she just didn't want the tank anymore, it was covered in algae and you couldn't even see the foot long pleco.... it's like I always say "you might be surprised"

The differences here are:

a) you were in a desperate situation
b) you were willing to make accomodations
c) you weren't picky about the type of tank and fixtures (cherry wood, for goodness' sake)
d) you weren't asking for 2-5K$ worth of equipment!

So, there's why I think it worked for you.

I'm actually considering doing this. Like a social experiment. I wouldn't be picky or anything, just a basic, free fish stuff wanted. Got an old tank taking up space? See what happens ;)

Back
Top Bottom