This made me soo mad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know this video was 3 years ago, but while looking up videos of other people's tanks, I stumbled across this.

http://youtu.be/84G0LTsCTVQ

Omg, that poor betta got eaten whole by the Oscar. Apparently, this guy gave the Oscar his girlfriends betta and, to top that off, FILMED it. This got to me more than I expected it to, especially since I am planning to care for a betta.

Saddening :(

The chick thought it was horrible that he ate it whole instead of tearing it apart?! I was at a pet store yesterday and a young woman asked what to feed her Oscar- guppies or goldfish. They sold her two 3 inch goldfish to feed him. :-(

The chick thought it was horrible that he ate it whole instead of tearing it apart?! I was at a pet store yesterday and a young woman asked what to feed her Oscar- guppies or goldfish. They sold her two 3 inch goldfish to feed him. :-(

I know! Imagine how much pain the betta would be in if the Oscar tore him/her apart! I don't understand why people use healthy, happy fish as food for another. It's just soo wrong ;___; I would be a little less upset if the fish being used was already dead, but not when it's still live. Poor fishes!

If you are going to feed your fish live food it has to be exactly that - alive. A dead or diseased fish is going to make your fish sick.

Actually, you're right, it should be alive. However, I just think doing so is cruel. Various people have their own opinions, and that's just mine. If an animal is happy and alive, why use it as food for another? Oh well.
I just wanted to share this video, as it bothered me quite a lot.

I have actually previously seen this video. It is terrible. Bettas are fish that can have personalities, or can at least be named. A feeder goldfish is, unfortunately, bred just for their name, to feed to things.

I have actually previously seen this video. It is terrible. Bettas are fish that can have personalities, or can at least be named. A feeder goldfish is, unfortunately, bred just for their name, to feed to things.

Poor things.
What also bothered me was that the guy filming it seemed amused when the betta got eaten. Like it was nothing.
Man, I don't know how they do it.

If you are going to feed your fish live food it has to be exactly that - alive. A dead or diseased fish is going to make your fish sick.

That's what they used to say about feeding mice and baby rats to snakes, but now you you buy them specially bred, euthanized and frozen in the pet shops.

I don't believe goldfish have less personality than bettas. They certainly don't experience less fear or pain. I also don't believe that the purpose in it having been bred makes any difference as to whether it is appropriate to be torn up whilst alive.

All live feeder fish should be small enough to be eaten whole IMO. No fish NEEDS to eat goldfish.

either way if its not torn up it will be living inside the fishes stomach for sometime before dying. i once caught a bass that had three live bullheads in it, those fish live through just about anything but im sure other fish suffer for a few minutes before dying

either way if its not torn up it will be living inside the fishes stomach for sometime before dying. i once caught a bass that had three live bullheads in it, those fish live through just about anything but im sure other fish suffer for a few minutes before dying

Ewwwww! Sometimes I REALLY hate nature!!!! :nono:

I think feeding live fish to predatory fish like oscars is unethical. The only exception would be a South American leaf fish

I think feeding live fish to predatory fish like oscars is unethical. The only exception would be a South American leaf fish

Why is that the only exception?

This world is a fish eat fish kind of world! Granted, I don't think in the wild there are Bettas running around for Oscars to eat but a predatory fish is just that, predatory. I can guarantee you that in the ingredient list for something like Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, they have fish in there and those fish were not dead until they got to the factory. How is that much different aside from using a middleman? That being said, I try not to feed my predators live food often (solely because live feeders tend to have a high potential for disease with the AWFUL conditions they are kept at). Sorry if I see it different then you all, and I do not mean to argue, I just want to understand your point of views.

I have no issues with feeding live fish. Doesn't matter the species a fish is a fish. I have never found a fish to be happy, have personality, etc.... There are alternative food sources one can choose if they so desire but I will not step in and say they are the only ones and must be used.

To me the issue is the perverse pleasure that some owners get from feeding live.

a year ago i would have thought the same as you, i thought fish were emotionless creatures that forgot things after ten seconds. after being in the aquarium hobby for a year i think completely differently now fish do have personalities. my favorite thing before was fishing now it makes me sad if a fish swallows my hook whole, i would only ever kill a fish if i were going to eat it.

Pain = an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience
its different with bugs some scientists believe that they dont feel pain because of what their brain can sense and some say they feel something but its not nearly as intense as a mammal or fish. i think your fine feeding your gecko the mealworms

Why would that be the only exception?

a year ago i would have thought the same as you, i thought fish were emotionless creatures that forgot things after ten seconds. after being in the aquarium hobby for a year i think completely differently now fish do have personalities. my favorite thing before was fishing now it makes me sad if a fish swallows my hook whole, i would only ever kill a fish if i were going to eat it.

There still is no scientific evidence to really prove fish are capable of exhibiting complex emotions. Some animals can - I think we all are aware that household pets like cats and dogs can be sad, happy, etc. However fish don't appear to be that complex. A prime example is how fish will go nuts for the same food day in and day out. They are just trying to survive, so as long as they are getting what they need they won't get "bored" with the staple food you are feeding.

This is a preadatory world, as adam said. We eat animals - maybe we don't swallow cows whole, however we still eat them. Just like that, fish eat other fish. That is how the animal kingom is though - food chains, survival of the fittest. We seem to have gotten more sensitive to that sort of thing, the death of animals. Should we aimlessly kill any animal we find? Should we purposely feed our oscars our girlfriend's bettas? No. However hunting is part of nature. Like Lepo said though, the pleasure that some get watching fish eat others isn't good either.

I found the enjoyment the guy got out of watching it was disturbing, but I also think feeding live fish is unnecessary. Cats are predators too, but I don't feed mine live animals.

I agree that feeding live is in most cases unnecessary. You can find good staple flakes or pellets (containing fish meal, mind you) that will give your fish adequate nutrition. There are fish that will turn up their nose at prepared foods, but this is generally the case. The issue I have is some people getting so worked up over a fish eating another fish. Killing and eating is the instinct of the fish - that is life, you cannot change their instincts.

Back
Top Bottom