Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

This made me soo mad.

I know this video was 3 years ago, but while looking up videos of other people's tanks, I stumbled across this.

http://youtu.be/84G0LTsCTVQ

Omg, that poor betta got eaten whole by the Oscar. Apparently, this guy gave the Oscar his girlfriends betta and, to top that off, FILMED it. This got to me more than I expected it to, especially since I am planning to care for a betta.

Saddening

Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The chick thought it was horrible that he ate it whole instead of tearing it apart?! I was at a pet store yesterday and a young woman asked what to feed her Oscar- guppies or goldfish. They sold her two 3 inch goldfish to feed him. :-(

Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post
The chick thought it was horrible that he ate it whole instead of tearing it apart?! I was at a pet store yesterday and a young woman asked what to feed her Oscar- guppies or goldfish. They sold her two 3 inch goldfish to feed him. :-(
I know! Imagine how much pain the betta would be in if the Oscar tore him/her apart! I don't understand why people use healthy, happy fish as food for another. It's just soo wrong ;___; I would be a little less upset if the fish being used was already dead, but not when it's still live. Poor fishes!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

If you are going to feed your fish live food it has to be exactly that - alive. A dead or diseased fish is going to make your fish sick.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
If you are going to feed your fish live food it has to be exactly that - alive. A dead or diseased fish is going to make your fish sick.
Actually, you're right, it should be alive. However, I just think doing so is cruel. Various people have their own opinions, and that's just mine. If an animal is happy and alive, why use it as food for another? Oh well.
I just wanted to share this video, as it bothered me quite a lot.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have actually previously seen this video. It is terrible. Bettas are fish that can have personalities, or can at least be named. A feeder goldfish is, unfortunately, bred just for their name, to feed to things.
Fishperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishperson View Post
I have actually previously seen this video. It is terrible. Bettas are fish that can have personalities, or can at least be named. A feeder goldfish is, unfortunately, bred just for their name, to feed to things.
Poor things.
What also bothered me was that the guy filming it seemed amused when the betta got eaten. Like it was nothing.
Man, I don't know how they do it.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
That's what they used to say about feeding mice and baby rats to snakes, but now you you buy them specially bred, euthanized and frozen in the pet shops.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishperson View Post
I don't believe goldfish have less personality than bettas. They certainly don't experience less fear or pain. I also don't believe that the purpose in it having been bred makes any difference as to whether it is appropriate to be torn up whilst alive.

All live feeder fish should be small enough to be eaten whole IMO. No fish NEEDS to eat goldfish.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

either way if its not torn up it will be living inside the fishes stomach for sometime before dying. i once caught a bass that had three live bullheads in it, those fish live through just about anything but im sure other fish suffer for a few minutes before dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com