Thoughts please??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm running a humidifier with eucalyptus oil in my daughters room which is right next to my 6 foot marine reef tank. Can the vapours bother my tank?

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all! I'm asked the sane thing about incense once! Anything airborne can/will enter the tank, its a question if how bad is it for fishies... I'm not sure about eucalyptus, I'm going to check it out though.. Melafix is tea tree oil, smells very similar to eucalyptus..

Not a dumb question at all! I'm asked the sane thing about incense once! Anything airborne can/will enter the tank, its a question if how bad is it for fishies... I'm not sure about eucalyptus, I'm going to check it out though.. Melafix is tea tree oil, smells very similar to eucalyptus..

Thanks very much Brookster123. Yes you're right.... Didn't think about Melafix. Let me know what you find out.

Thank you.

From everything I've read in the last 7 minutes;) it seems as though it can be poisonous to fish at very high levels/concentration, same as melafix, I read how someone even put a bunch if eu leaves in their tank and it made more if a mess than hurt fish.. In my (no where near professional) opinion.. You're ok.. Assuming you keep up on water changes..if you start to notice a slick or film in the top of water than maybe time to reconsider??

From everything I've read in the last 7 minutes;) it seems as though it can be poisonous to fish at very high levels/concentration, same as melafix, I read how someone even put a bunch if eu leaves in their tank and it made more if a mess than hurt fish.. In my (no where near professional) opinion.. You're ok.. Assuming you keep up on water changes..if you start to notice a slick or film in the top of water than maybe time to reconsider??

Thanks very much. Great advice and thanks for getting an answer.... My searches were useless. I water change every four weeks and I have no intention of running the vaporiser too often so hopefully I will avoid a disastrous situation.

Thanks again for your time. ?

excellent point!!

On that note, if you were to run a humidifier in the same room that has a fish tank, would that reduce the amount of evaporation? I'm thinking that answer would be yes and that you would end up with a humid room. But tap water (for the humidifier) is cheaper than RO/DI for the tank.

...back to your regularly scheduled program...

Back
Top Bottom