Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2004, 02:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is an interesting topic isn't it? I mentioned once before a bug spray that I bought at a local fair and that it worked fairly well at keeping the ticks away. I haven't tested it well enough to say it works this much percent but it seems to work really well, is all natural, and doesn't smell bad. Here is a link to the website wit the bug sprays on it. If you click the picture it doesn't do anything except enlarge it. I don't think they do paypal stuff yet... If you want to order something I guess you go to the order form... http://www.livingwatersoaps.com/bug_sprays.htm
And here is a link to the specials page: http://www.livingwatersoaps.com/specials.htm Those bug sprays happen to be on special and you can get %10 off... Anyway, Just thought I'd mention it to everyone.
I don't think I brought any ticks into the house. I sure hope not anyway. I was out there for a long time scrubbing with soap and lots of vinegar... my skin started peeling a little this morning on my hands and I believe it's from the vinegar... I scrubbed enough to make me sore all over and then decided to carry the tank, 55 gal, inside on my shoulder by myself... the next day moving a console tv that I picked up at a yard sale real cheap... still works. Got a kids coloring desk and leapfrog something or other, with the tv all for $30. Tv has remote and still works... Anyway... back to the ticks huh... I still have no idea why I found so many on one tank in the middle of the patio... I may never know... Oh well... It is definitely going to be a bad year for them around here.

Old 06-09-2004, 04:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found a tick on me the other night.. I have this thing I can use to magnify it but I can't find it. The thing is so small I can't identify it without magnifying it... Anyway, the other night I was sitting here and I found this thing right around my hip area which is hard to reach. If it was on my leg I could look closer at it but I had a hard time seeing what I was doing... The first few attempts I don't think I got the head so I kept pinching and pulling with those tweesers... missing a little bit of skin there now. It's been over 24 hours since I removed it and there is a little bit of a rash and it itches. Gotta love Arkansas... then there's those mistery bug bites you don't know how you got... I have one on my ankle and I was wearing socks... larege bump, itches like crazy... probably a chigger or something. What a wonderful topic huh, I can't stand itching, I'd rather it hurt. When I move in a few weeks, hopefully, it will be further into the woods... Anyway, I think I'll be putting that tick spray on every time I go outside, even to check the mail.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eeek. Whenever I hear rash and tick I think lyme disease. Isn't it caused by a small tick? Or is this my paranoia?

Texas also has its share of weird bugs, or rather weird bug bites.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Lyme disease is tick-borne, that's for sure. I got a tick bite last Memorial Day (2003) and there is still a bump there that itches occasionally. Without a "bullseye" rash and fever or other symptoms don't worry about it, other than keeping the area clean so a secondary infection does not take hold.

Usually the tick has to be on you for 24 hours, from what I understand, for it to transmit pathogens, so that is why it is so important to check yourself often for them if you live in an area where they are.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, no bulls eye here.. I save every tick I find whether it bit me or not... Anytime the bite is itching I've been putting aloe on it and it sort of helps... Stops the itching. As for the other bug bite you might not want to know what I do about those... I'll say it anyway, turn your head if you're squeemish...
sometimes I get bites that I don't know how they occured, often times they itch like crazy and I can't stop scratching... Sometimes there's a white center to them, sometimes there isn't... this one on my ankle didn't have a white center to it but I still treated it the same way. Last night I couldn't find the pin cushion so I used a safety pin(remember, I said look away) and poked and scraped at that thing for a while. It was a large bump as far as my bug bites go... Then I just squeezed and squeezed for a while. It bled but also got some pus out of it... I figure that stuff can't be good for me and is good to get it out... I did that for quite a while til I felt it was fairly clean... then I put a bandaid on and went to bed. I left the bandaid on all day today but didn't have to scratch once... Oh yeah, I did wipe the site clean with vinegar aftwerards... I know some people will think sticking a sharp object into your skin is just asking for infection, well, maybe... That's just the way I handle things and so far it always works... Ever have a scratch in the back of your throat that you just can't seem to shake? I usually scratch it... yep... I take a butter knife and actually scratch it a little and it feels so good... Anyway...
Back to the ticks... I sure hope you're right about the 24 hours thing... I've had them on me longer than that before without knowing, but I'm usually good at finding them before then. I'm going to keep using that tick spray I have and hope for the best...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tooooooooo many ticks this year... had to pull one off my wrist a few nights ago and the next day there was a small blister kind of thing there... man did it itch... seems to be going away now though... When I move, eventually I plan on getting some guinea fowl... they supposedly are the best type of chicken to eat ticks and other bugs...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I love guineas! They are also excellent "watch" birds and will let you know if anyone/thing comes into your yard. If I ever move back out to an area where I could keep them, I would in a heartbeat.

Closed Thread

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com