Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Time to hook up a router...

Alright, got the Radeon 9600 working fine. I don't notice any difference to tell you the truth except my wife's Zoo Tycoon game works now.

Anyway, I want to start using a router as a firewall. Any brand names or suggestions. Someone said I could get one for $20 now.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How about Linksys? Probably the most popular one on the market. I've attached a link to a store local to me but you can find them everywhere.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3669104

Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
A router made for personal use isn't really the best thing to use as a firewall. You can block certain ports, but it won't prevent some adware program from calling home. But maybe you don't need that.

If you are buying one specifically to use as a firewall, don't waste your money (IMO) and just use a firewall program (even a free one like zonealarm works great). If you need a router anyways, Linksys and Netgear are both great brands. You won't find one for $20, however it won't die after 6 months either. Both can be found at Best Buy, or even cheaper online (newegg.com)

-brent
Old 03-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
If you are buying one specifically to use as a firewall, don't waste your money (IMO) and just use a firewall program (even a free one like zonealarm works great). If you need a router anyways, Linksys and Netgear are both great brands. You won't find one for $20, however it won't die after 6 months either.
I second that. If you are only using one computer, then skip the router; it's unecessary.

Zonealarm can be found here.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Zonealarm eh? Excellent. Thanks for the link, too.

I have the Windows service pack firewall, but was told it's not very good.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

One bennefit of a router is that mostly all brands do Network address translation. This along with a software Fiirewall would be Ideal. For spyware Microsoft spyware Beta is doing a great job at battling spyware and the best part is that it is free.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a good link for software firewalls:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads34.html

Old 03-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
For spyware Microsoft spyware Beta is doing a great job at battling spyware and the best part is that it is free.
Considering that the OS affected is their own product, I would hope it does well. Any ideas on when they plan to charge for it?

Network Address Translation is still only a rudimentary form of protection. If telnet is enabled on the WAN port, you can logon and brute force the password. After that you just have to enable port forwarding for whatever you're using and you're on somebody's LAN.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I dont know what there plans are for it. But here is a link.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
I have it installed on my windows box.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com