Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

to be god-like?

hey guys,

so I was discussing it with the mrs the other day, regarding fish-keeping, and also ant farms and worm farms etc, and we came to some interesting points. I thought I'd throw them out here to see if you follow me or argue for against or otherwise.

basically, I don't know exactly if it's pure pleasure in having fish as pets, or that watching them relaxes me, or seeing them thrive and swim around carefree is simply enjoyment or if it goes deeper than that.

I won't say I have an ant farm or anything but I am an avid player of sim-esque video games - simcity, (used to play world of warcrack), basically any game that puts me in control of anything such as humans, or a species of whatever, basically, a god-like figure and role. I wondered whether that extended into fish-keeping for myself and others.

I'm only new to fish-keeping but I'm loving getting new things for them, reading up and putting that education to practice; consequently seeing the fish happy and thriving. seeing them play in and around things I place in the tank etc etc

could this be true for any of you? am I just a weirdo (probably, but I accepted that a long time ago!). I'd love to hear back from you. this isn't to say it's negative in any way; I just found it quite interesting that those sorts of hobbies and things I find enjoyment doing or game-playing has me in a position of god-like authority.

fletcher.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum.

I've seen this "god complex" topic come up many times with fishkeeping. I have certainly never let my head go there when it comes to fishkeeping or keeping any pets. After all, wouldn't you go through that when you have children, too? Doesn't seem right..... or necessary.

With fish, it's just enjoyment for me. With my dogs, as they are all rescues, it's enjoyment plus giving back.

Neither God nor any other deity entered into the picture for me.

Maybe it's not that you're a weirdo, maybe you're just a control freak.....

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2642793958.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	59540

nuff said! Lol
Old 11-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVAMAL

nuff said! Lol
Love it lol
Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

If you want to go along the religion angle, sure. Man finds enjoyment in creating and sustaining things. Man was built in the image of Him who created all, so it would make sense that man would also yearn and desire to do the same. Religion aside, there is a certain sense of satisfaction gained from creating, building something with your hands, harvesting and preparing/enjoying a meal, or having dominion over and/or companionship with other creatures. Some call it a gift and others call it instinct, either way it is something that is ingrained in us.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting post!!!! Personally, i find fishkeeping is an extention of my 'mothering complex'. I want and desire what is best for them and will prevent any harm bestowed upon them to the best of my ability as i do for my child (and my other pets). To see my child grow & thrive as do my pets (which i consider my kids as well) is enough for me-no 'god complex' necessary because im not seeking to 'control' them, just to make them happy & healthy in the world we reside in (and they reside in). I dont know how much sense this makes everyone, but i think moms (and fish parents alike) may understand.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk
Interesting post!!!! Personally, i find fishkeeping is an extention of my 'mothering complex'. I want and desire what is best for them and will prevent any harm bestowed upon them to the best of my ability as i do for my child (and my other pets). To see my child grow & thrive as do my pets (which i consider my kids as well) is enough for me-no 'god complex' necessary because im not seeking to 'control' them, just to make them happy & healthy in the world we reside in (and they reside in). I dont know how much sense this makes everyone, but i think moms (and fish parents alike) may understand.
I totally understand! Because that's how I feel
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I only like to observe them. Having to keep them happy is a financially unfortunate side-effect >.<
Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
If you want to go along the religion angle, sure. Man finds enjoyment in creating and sustaining things. Man was built in the image of Him who created all, so it would make sense that man would also yearn and desire to do the same. Religion aside, there is a certain sense of satisfaction gained from creating, building something with your hands, harvesting and preparing/enjoying a meal, or having dominion over and/or companionship with other creatures. Some call it a gift and others call it instinct, either way it is something that is ingrained in us.
that is pretty much it, right on the money. i wouldn't even call it so much a religion angle but actually agree with the creating and sustaining things idea (i suppose i called it god-like as a somewhat categorising type name).

yeah i think my point of controlling per se was maybe a bit over the top. i agree with what you said jlk about the simple enjoyment and love of bonding and creating and sustaining etc (with your children too as well as pets).

thanks for your posts!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Being an aquarist for forty years I can tell you I get a great satisfaction from keeping and providing for these creatures, it is something I put together with my own hands, I feel sometimes like Don Knotts/Mr. Limpet on how I can watch these creatures swim and put me in a relaxed state of being, I see these fish and wonder what's going through their minds, are they at peace being in a larger tank or are they cussing me out for keeping them?
Either way I always try to provide for them the best I can.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com