Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-28-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
I agree that we as a society are over medicated. My cousin, whom I used to babysit while my aunt was out of town had ADHD. She tried everything and finally gave in to drugs and what a difference! My cousin is now a young teen and off meds. He "out grew" his ADHD and is doing well.
As for adults and depression, that is a serious issue. As an adult with depression, I can tell you that I fall apart without my meds. Not everyday, but it builds up to the point where I cannot leave my house, yelling at Trevor and taking things out on myself. Diet, exercise and counseling play a large part in treating depression, but those with chemical oddities in the brain need the meds. I cannot stand Tom Cruise and his stupidity with Brook Sheilds. If she needs treatment, that's hers to deal with.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to agree with the statement that each case is independent of its owner.
I was very talkative in high school, however it was because my day started at 5:30 and by the time 1st hour rolled around I was in the full swing of my day. My brother, on the other hand could not concentrate long enough to sharpen his pencil. The ritalin that was prescribed for him gave him the ability to focus on his studies and the situations that he was in.

Please don't think that I am saying if you or your children cannot focus stick them on drugs. That is not what I am saying at all! My parents, both teachers I might add, worked with his teachers and used the drugs as a last resort. This began while my brother was in 1st grade. By 9th grade he had learned to focus and control himself in situations where it was required that he was removed from the medication and has not been on it since. He is currently in his mid 20s.

Again, I believe that each situation is unique and should be viewed that way by responsible parents and/or guardians.

In regards to Tom Cruise:

This is, luckily, a country where we are free to speak our minds both publicly and privately. Mr. Cruise is entitled to his opinion and is entitled to stating his opinion publicly. He is also one of a select few that the world pays attention to. I respect that he is passionate about his religion and his love for Ms. Holmes.

I think that respecting other people's opinions is also important. Now I have never met either Tom Cruise or Matt Lauer, but Mr. Lauer is no slouch. I would think that he is pretty well informed about the world around him.

If Tom Cruise wants to state his opinion that is fine, but respect other opinions as well. I know that if I was interviewed by Matt Lauer and I, (being the non-famous person I am, acted the way that Tom Cruise acted I would be ridiculed too.
So I guess it is only fitting what he is getting in return.

With Regards to Katie Holmes and the squirting accident:
He can do whatever he wants with whoever he wants as far as I am concerned.
And to a certain degree I agree with him concerning being squirted, it could have been acid or something as potentially harmful. However, sueing to make a point is childish.

SO, (and sorry this is so long) Respect other people's opinion and don't act like a dingdong if you don't agree, and also be involved with your child in all aspects of their lives so that you are making an informed, involved decision if you are pressed to do so.

12 gallon Nano
Starting Over
Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah, I too agree that medication decisions need to be made on a case by case basis. And I would definitely rather new moms take meds then kill their children. And I also understand that antidepressants may save someone from comitting suicide. It's the Ritalin that just really bothers me, because so many kids are on it. And so often it's little boys.

I realize that Ritalin may in fact be helpful for certain children....I just wish ADD wasn't so subjective a diagnosis. There really is no way to prove that someone is or isn't ADD. And so prescribing brain altering drugs so widely to children who are too young to protect themselves scares me a bit. Plus I have a very active little boy so I'm nervous about public school. Whatever happened to the boys will be boys school of thought......

Maybe we were better off back in the old days when a teacher could swat a misbehaving child at school. That might sound harsh but sending them off to the psychiatrist for personality altering drugs seems way worse IMO.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Ritalin isn't prescribed as much as you might think. There are tons of different drugs given to kids- which my sister has taken almost all of.

I know I have ADD/ADHD but I never took meds, I learned to deal with whatever problems on my own. However my sister, at the age of 5 was diagnosed with severe clinical depression- at 5! It broke my heart because it was like being bi-polar but w/o the highs.. it was severe lows and not too low lows.. but never happy. She took it out on herself and the family. She beat me with a wire hanger when she was 4, she has chased my mom with a knife, and threatened to kill herself with bug spray when she was 5. Now, with proper medication (which took a while to figure out what works best) she is 13 and WONDERFUL.. a totally different person.

I don't believe in sedating your kids if they seem to be a handful, but i do believe some kids need medical help because, in fact, the chemicals in their brain can't release like they should on their own.

I dunno, Tom Cruise annoys me. Especially now with his crazy approach with everything.

Like TG said.. he was getting "in trouble" because he was using his new movie to promote his beliefs.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Being an individual with Adult ADD, I would never touch a drug. I struggled through college, worked my butt off, and graduated despite having it (even though it was extremely difficult to try and concentrate or even sit through a class). Drugs are over prescribed to kids, no matter what the drug is. There is a syndrome for everything. My nephew was referred to a doctor who prescribed Ritalin. My sister-in-law refused to give it to him. Instead, he got more attention from everyone else, was put into school sports, and his attitude has 100% turned around. His grades have improved and he is the happiest little boy I have ever met.

On a side note though, I do think Tom Cruise is a wack job. He said there there is no such thing as a Chemical Imbalance. Then I assume that all those doctors and scientists were just making it up? I could go on and on about him, but I"ll just spare you all the details. Enough said, wack job.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am actually getting so tired of hearing about Tom Cruise. He is beginning to really bug me with this Scientology thing and Katie Holmes.

He is right up there with JLo in my, "stars that I hate to hear about or see on TV".
Old 06-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
All I got to say is leave the prescribing up to the doctors, and the acting up to actors. no gray areas please.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:51 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by cJw
........oversized head.
He had an interview on Aussie TV last night and I noticed that his nose seemed disproprtionately large. I hadn't noticed this before... maybe he has the flu.... and it affected his brain?

Seriously would you marry someone who idolized you as a kid? Seems a bit like Marrying your older nice uncle or something!
Old 06-29-2005, 03:49 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Tom Cruise is an idiot...I can't wait for him to have some major medical issue that "scientology" can't cure and then watch him justitfy the holes in his belief that allow him to recieve the best medical treatment money can buy.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to do it over.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular
Originally Posted by Andos99
Tom Cruise is an idiot...I can't wait for him to have some major medical issue that "scientology" can't cure and then watch him justitfy the holes in his belief that allow him to recieve the best medical treatment money can buy.
Well, I saw on the news today where he and Katie pulled up to a premier on a motorcycle. They weren't wearing helmets. 8O So. He may have a major medical issue soon enough!

58 Gal FW/FO
Emperor 400 HOB; VisiTherm 300W
5 Angels,5 Serpaes,11 Zebra Danios,2 BalaSharks,1 Hypostomus Plecostomus
4 Julii Corys
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com