Too much sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbssampley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398632945.428477.jpg
An online pet supply company told me way too much sand. She told me 80 lbs of sand for my 29 gal. I didn't put that much but i did use some of my old substrate that I rinsed and then added 40 lbs of live sand. I couldn't take some out after I dumped the live sand in because of the dry sand. Didn't want to get it mixed up. My aquarium is almost fully cycled. Everything is testing zero except the nitrates are at 5.0 ppm. How long does it take for the bacteria to spread through the whole amount sand before I can remove some?
I wanted to get everything in order before I added any inverts or fish. Also, do I need to turn of the pump first and let it settle or will that hurt the bacteria to not have circulation. I had this aquarium up about 5 years ago and had to move unexpectedly, so I guess I am very new at this. Trying to take things slow and research more. I have about an avg of 2.5 inch of substrate I think but would like about an inch less. Help please.

Sorry, put this in the wrong subject. My first thing to write on here and still figuring it out.

Most of the bacteria is on your rock. I would just pull out the extra sand I did that with my little tank and I got a little bit of a diatom outbreak. My levels never showed any increase. Just monitor them for a few days but it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks! I took the star away hoping to delete this message. What does the star mean? How do I delete? I did finally put this question in the correct subject.

The star is only to subscribe to a thread. I haven't found a way to delete a thread.

They will likely move it to it's proper place or delete it since you found what you were looking for

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom