Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Too Small Tanks

I would like to keep this informational, I am not giving anybody advice in this thread, I am just curious for other points of view.
Most of the fish I purchase are still young. Many people buy fish that will ultimately be too big for their set-ups, but they will get a bigger tank in the future. I never buy a fish that I do not already have a tank for. But, thats just me. What do other people do? Any thoughts?
Obviously, there are grow-out tanks for fry and things like that, so I am asking this question apart from breeding.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

Great topic, it really made me think about it. For the most part, I understock my tanks, but with some of my larger fish, I keep them in tanks that are too small for them long term. I think the only major difference is that I do have adequate sized tanks in storage to upgrade to when I feel the need, or if not then I can fairly easily go get one that works.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmm, i can definitely understand the aspect of grow-out tanks. Especially if you buy a juvenille fish with the intention of putting it in a tank with more aggressive fish. So i guess to conclude, YES as long as there is for sure a bigger tank ready when its "time".
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally have my flowerhorn in a 36g for the time being and will switch him into my 55g when he gets that size. I don't really plan to pick up a 75g for awhile, which I don't see as irresponsible. It will be well over a year before he outgrows that 55g and I am a Craigslist.com junkie, so I am waiting for that perfect deal.

I think keeping a soon-to-be too large fish in a smaller tank is completely fine as long as you have the next step up tank available and ready. It's just something that should be left to more experienced to know exactly when to switch your fish over.

And some articles/forums out there say keeping a tiny fish in a big tank isn't the greatest idea, causing stress. Like, buying an inch oscar and going ahead and putting him in that 75g. It would be pretty overwhelming, I guess. That's just something I have ran across in my research.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

I've done the huge tank/small fish thing and haven't really had any issue because of it. Considering the environment in which most fish come from, bigger should be better as long as the tank is aquascaped accordingly.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
I personally have my flowerhorn in a 36g for the time being and will switch him into my 55g when he gets that size. I don't really plan to pick up a 75g for awhile, which I don't see as irresponsible. It will be well over a year before he outgrows that 55g and I am a Craigslist.com junkie, so I am waiting for that perfect deal.

I think keeping a soon-to-be too large fish in a smaller tank is completely fine as long as you have the next step up tank available and ready. It's just something that should be left to more experienced to know exactly when to switch your fish over.

And some articles/forums out there say keeping a tiny fish in a big tank isn't the greatest idea, causing stress. Like, buying an inch oscar and going ahead and putting him in that 75g. It would be pretty overwhelming, I guess. That's just something I have ran across in my research.
Just my opinion, but I do agree with you that its best done by experienced people. Some fish do grow speedier than others.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I've done the huge tank/small fish thing and haven't really had any issue because of it. Considering the environment in which most fish come from, bigger should be better as long as the tank is aquascaped accordingly.
I agree. People say the same thing about reptiles. They say baby snakes get overwhelmed in big tanks, but I always wonder how they think baby snakes get along in the wild? Snakes aren't fish (obviously), but its on the same lines. I can understand how it would be stressful for them though if there wasn't sufficient aquascaping.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by New View Post
hmm, i can definitely understand the aspect of grow-out tanks. Especially if you buy a juvenille fish with the intention of putting it in a tank with more aggressive fish. So i guess to conclude, YES as long as there is for sure a bigger tank ready when its "time".
Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't throw a baby angel in with my adults because they would beat it up, but I still have the adult tank there so the baby would be put in it when the time comes.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see any problem with 'grow-out' tanks.
If you are planning on upgrading in the future and you perform regular water changes, I don't see any reason for the fish to be unhappy.

Also, it would seem impractical to keep e.g. a 1-inch oscar alone in a 100 gallon tank.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #10
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble_B0y View Post
I don't see any problem with 'grow-out' tanks.
If you are planning on upgrading in the future and you perform regular water changes, I don't see any reason for the fish to be unhappy.

Also, it would seem impractical to keep e.g. a 1-inch oscar alone in a 100 gallon tank.
Thats very true because the tank wouldn't stay cycled.
I think that problems arise when people do not realize how quickly fish grow. For somebody who is familiar with them, it can be done well, but for some others those theoretical future tanks never happen.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com