Too Small Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I would like to keep this informational, I am not giving anybody advice in this thread, I am just curious for other points of view.:)
Most of the fish I purchase are still young. Many people buy fish that will ultimately be too big for their set-ups, but they will get a bigger tank in the future. I never buy a fish that I do not already have a tank for. But, thats just me. What do other people do? Any thoughts?
Obviously, there are grow-out tanks for fry and things like that, so I am asking this question apart from breeding.

Great topic, it really made me think about it. For the most part, I understock my tanks, but with some of my larger fish, I keep them in tanks that are too small for them long term. I think the only major difference is that I do have adequate sized tanks in storage to upgrade to when I feel the need, or if not then I can fairly easily go get one that works.

hmm, i can definitely understand the aspect of grow-out tanks. Especially if you buy a juvenille fish with the intention of putting it in a tank with more aggressive fish. So i guess to conclude, YES as long as there is for sure a bigger tank ready when its "time".

I personally have my flowerhorn in a 36g for the time being and will switch him into my 55g when he gets that size. I don't really plan to pick up a 75g for awhile, which I don't see as irresponsible. It will be well over a year before he outgrows that 55g and I am a Craigslist.com junkie, so I am waiting for that perfect deal.

I think keeping a soon-to-be too large fish in a smaller tank is completely fine as long as you have the next step up tank available and ready. It's just something that should be left to more experienced to know exactly when to switch your fish over.

And some articles/forums out there say keeping a tiny fish in a big tank isn't the greatest idea, causing stress. Like, buying an inch oscar and going ahead and putting him in that 75g. It would be pretty overwhelming, I guess. That's just something I have ran across in my research.

I've done the huge tank/small fish thing and haven't really had any issue because of it. Considering the environment in which most fish come from, bigger should be better as long as the tank is aquascaped accordingly.

I personally have my flowerhorn in a 36g for the time being and will switch him into my 55g when he gets that size. I don't really plan to pick up a 75g for awhile, which I don't see as irresponsible. It will be well over a year before he outgrows that 55g and I am a Craigslist.com junkie, so I am waiting for that perfect deal.

I think keeping a soon-to-be too large fish in a smaller tank is completely fine as long as you have the next step up tank available and ready. It's just something that should be left to more experienced to know exactly when to switch your fish over.

And some articles/forums out there say keeping a tiny fish in a big tank isn't the greatest idea, causing stress. Like, buying an inch oscar and going ahead and putting him in that 75g. It would be pretty overwhelming, I guess. That's just something I have ran across in my research.
Just my opinion, but I do agree with you that its best done by experienced people. Some fish do grow speedier than others. :)

I've done the huge tank/small fish thing and haven't really had any issue because of it. Considering the environment in which most fish come from, bigger should be better as long as the tank is aquascaped accordingly.
I agree. People say the same thing about reptiles. They say baby snakes get overwhelmed in big tanks, but I always wonder how they think baby snakes get along in the wild? Snakes aren't fish (obviously), but its on the same lines. I can understand how it would be stressful for them though if there wasn't sufficient aquascaping.

hmm, i can definitely understand the aspect of grow-out tanks. Especially if you buy a juvenille fish with the intention of putting it in a tank with more aggressive fish. So i guess to conclude, YES as long as there is for sure a bigger tank ready when its "time".
Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't throw a baby angel in with my adults because they would beat it up, but I still have the adult tank there so the baby would be put in it when the time comes.

I don't see any problem with 'grow-out' tanks.
If you are planning on upgrading in the future and you perform regular water changes, I don't see any reason for the fish to be unhappy.

Also, it would seem impractical to keep e.g. a 1-inch oscar alone in a 100 gallon tank.

I don't see any problem with 'grow-out' tanks.
If you are planning on upgrading in the future and you perform regular water changes, I don't see any reason for the fish to be unhappy.

Also, it would seem impractical to keep e.g. a 1-inch oscar alone in a 100 gallon tank.
Thats very true because the tank wouldn't stay cycled.
I think that problems arise when people do not realize how quickly fish grow. For somebody who is familiar with them, it can be done well, but for some others those theoretical future tanks never happen.

Thats very true because the tank wouldn't stay cycled.
I think that problems arise when people do not realize how quickly fish grow. For somebody who is familiar with them, it can be done well, but for some others those theoretical future tanks never happen.

Why wouldn't it stay cycled? Bioload is bioload, even if it is a tiny amount. The bacteria colony will adjust accordingly. I think the term 'cycled' is kind of a misnomer since the bacteria colony is a living thing that is not set in stone.

Why wouldn't it stay cycled? Bioload is bioload, even if it is a tiny amount. The bacteria colony will adjust accordingly. I think the term 'cycled' is kind of a misnomer since the bacteria colony is a living thing that is not set in stone.
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about it being cycled for a community I guess, but it isn't like you are going to suddenly add a community in there with a large species. You are right though, the BB colony will grow with the fish.

I think it's fine to have a baby fish in any size tank. Would they be overwhelmed in the wild? I really doubt that. It's not like humans living in mansions and having to maintain it which would be very overwhelming, but we maintain their enviornment for them. I think as long as you keep the water levels clean and have adequate places to hide, they're fine.

Now I don't think a person should buy a fish that will out grow their 10g tank with no tank for them to be transfered into. The thought of I'll buy one when the time comes doesn't comfort me, because when they time comes and you figure out they need a larger home, it's already most likely already suffering. I learned that from experience. When I first started, I didn't know much about fish, I didn't research I listened to the LFS and they sold me a leporinus that was no more than 2" and told me it wouldnt get bigger than 5". They knew I had a 10g and sold it to me anyways. He made it through my many half cycle's because I didn't know about them, and I cleaned the filter out ever 2 weeks in tap water and did everything you shouldn't do. After the 2nd year he was already 5" and I though he was done, but he grew some more and I needed to upgrade to a 45g. Long story short, he was way to big for the 10g before I knew I needed a new tank.

I think it's fine to have a baby fish in any size tank. Would they be overwhelmed in the wild? I really doubt that. It's not like humans living in mansions and having to maintain it which would be very overwhelming, but we maintain their enviornment for them. I think as long as you keep the water levels clean and have adequate places to hide, they're fine.

Now I don't think a person should buy a fish that will out grow their 10g tank with no tank for them to be transfered into. The thought of I'll buy one when the time comes doesn't comfort me, because when they time comes and you figure out they need a larger home, it's already most likely already suffering. I learned that from experience. When I first started, I didn't know much about fish, I didn't research I listened to the LFS and they sold me a leporinus that was no more than 2" and told me it wouldnt get bigger than 5". They knew I had a 10g and sold it to me anyways. He made it through my many half cycle's because I didn't know about them, and I cleaned the filter out ever 2 weeks in tap water and did everything you shouldn't do. After the 2nd year he was already 5" and I though he was done, but he grew some more and I needed to upgrade to a 45g. Long story short, he was way to big for the 10g before I knew I needed a new tank.

lol @ the 'humans living in a mansion analogy'! :lol:
Although I think it would be an interesting experience, living in an overly , large house would be lonely.

Also, leporinus are really pretty-looking fish! They look like a large tiger barb.

lol @ the 'humans living in a mansion analogy'! :lol:
Although I think it would be an interesting experience, living in an overly , large house would be lonely.

Also, leporinus are really pretty-looking fish! They look like a large tiger barb.
I would LOVE a mansion if I didnt't have to clean the thing.

when i have a fish that grows to large to be unhappy in my tank, i post something on craigslist, or a flier around my local pet shops asking to trade. the fish that you grew goes to a good home with a tank big enough to suit it, and you can get some interesting fish or invertebrates in return!

I tend to plan my tank around my fish.

An example:
I have 2 115g tanks, the twins. One I planned out for angelfish and tetras/rasboras. Knowing the filtration I have, my maintenance program, bio-load of both, and the adult size of both, I stocked lightly but I have wiggle room for 4 more angels if i find some I like and I know I could add tons more tetras to the mix. At one point, before a crash happened, I had over 130 tetras and rasboras with the angels.

My point is, some people know exactly what they are getting into before they buy a fish, they do the research, they do the mental "math" that a 1 inch oscar can grow up to be a 14 inch oscar therefore a 10g tank isn't suitable. These people plan the tank around the fish. They have a 75g all cycled and ready to go, either for the little 1 incher to grow up in or it's ready when the 1 incher gets to be about 4-5 inches.

Some people read the tags some LFS have that state the adult size of the fish and decide from there.

Some people buy a fish because they like it, not paying attention, much less caring what the adult size will be and falling into the misconception that the fish will only grow to the size of it's tank and that it will live a good long life. These are the people that should not own pets nor have children in my opinion.

If you can't control your impulses to buy a living animal because it's cool and educate yourself on the proper care of that animal, you have no business caring for any living thing, period.

DragonFish71 said:
I tend to plan my tank around my fish.

An example:
I have 2 115g tanks, the twins. One I planned out for angelfish and tetras/rasboras. Knowing the filtration I have, my maintenance program, bio-load of both, and the adult size of both, I stocked lightly but I have wiggle room for 4 more angels if i find some I like and I know I could add tons more tetras to the mix. At one point, before a crash happened, I had over 130 tetras and rasboras with the angels.

My point is, some people know exactly what they are getting into before they buy a fish, they do the research, they do the mental "math" that a 1 inch oscar can grow up to be a 14 inch oscar therefore a 10g tank isn't suitable. These people plan the tank around the fish. They have a 75g all cycled and ready to go, either for the little 1 incher to grow up in or it's ready when the 1 incher gets to be about 4-5 inches.

Some people read the tags some LFS have that state the adult size of the fish and decide from there.

Some people buy a fish because they like it, not paying attention, much less caring what the adult size will be and falling into the misconception that the fish will only grow to the size of it's tank and that it will live a good long life. These are the people that should not own pets nor have children in my opinion.

If you can't control your impulses to buy a living animal because it's cool and educate yourself on the proper care of that animal, you have no business caring for any living thing, period.

Exactly! That's what I told my parents -.- :jk:
But I agree with you 100%

Back
Top Bottom