Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
My mom hated it when I picked up my first 10g, and told me I was wasting my money. I was really sad and tempted to take it back, but I didn't. 3 years later I own 4 tanks, 1 45g FW, 1 25g SW, 1 2.5 beta fish tank, an 1 g shrimp tank lol. All in my bed room (cough, can't walk without running into them, cough)
Haha! I'm 15. Got my first 10 gal a few months ago. My mom wasn't thrilled with it to say the least. lol now I have a 2gal, 10gal, 15gal, 45gal, and two 55gals :P I'm getting a new 20 or so gal and then I'm done til I need another grow out. My mom is surprisingly ok with the fact that I have 5 tanks and a 2g bowl in my room...

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

Haha! I'm 15. Got my first 10 gal a few months ago. My mom wasn't thrilled with it to say the least. lol now I have a 2gal, 10gal, 15gal, 45gal, and two 55gals :P I'm getting a new 20 or so gal and then I'm done til I need another grow out. My mom is surprisingly ok with the fact that I have 5 tanks and a 2g bowl in my room...
I wish my mom would have been cool with that. My limit was a 10 gallon and a couple 1-5 gallons. I wish I still had all my old small tanks from when I was living at home though. They all got trashed during hurricane Katrina, although thankfully they were all empty in the garage at that time because I had just left for boarding school in the beginning of august. Living in a dorm was the only thing that has stopped me from having fish in the 17 or so years I have been keeping fish.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figure this way if your old enough to read and research what you want and pay for it you never to young. My philosophy is if I earn it I spend it. Next time just complain to management for your benefit and other shoppers.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan88 View Post

My mom wouldn't even let me keep 3 tanks. She will freak if i suggest another one, and I only have a 10g, about to buy a 5g for QT. Seriously lol! But I just remind myself that it's temporary and one day ill be able to get all the tanks I want hahaha :P
Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
I figure this way if your old enough to read and research what you want and pay for it you never to young. My philosophy is if I earn it I spend it. Next time just complain to management for your benefit and other shoppers.
I know, though sometimes fish keeping can get really expensive. We've already totaled to $300 just for the stand and basic necessities. Plus the tank which was $50? So $350. But I still need to buy live plants, lighting, and the rest of my stock. One at a time.
Lol, maybe I should go on extreme couponing.
If you don't know, extreme couponing is a show where these people buy like 2 or more carts of groceries and only spend less than $100 because of the coupons they collect in newspapers. It's insane. :P
Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone in this forum can tell you that they have being in your shoes. I'm in my late 30's I haven't had a tank for like 20 years when I got back to fishkeeping I figured a 20 gl would be nice. Wrong I have a 20, 36, 45 BF and a 75, all with AC filters and a fx5. Usually just want bigger and better stuff
Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I started at a young age. Fortunately my mom was the one who go me started.
I won't get into the customer service treatment mentioned above but I will add that I do not interact with the big box staff much. My wife says I'm a fish snob. Not really; I do my research ahead of time so there is no need for Q&As.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I started at a young age. Fortunately my mom was the one who go me started.
I won't get into the customer service treatment mentioned above but I will add that I do not interact with the big box staff much. My wife says I'm a fish snob. Not really; I do my research ahead of time so there is no need for Q&As.
The only time I ask for staff is when I need assistance in getting something. Unless the person knows what she/he's saying, then maybe I will throw in a few questions now and then. :P I wish my parents were as into it as I am, I'd probably had start off with a 50g instead of a 10g! And I'm not even exaggerating haha
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think anyone is ever to young to start something they enjoy. Although at young ages parents do usually have to spend the money and help with things. I can always remember at some point and time having a fish tank. I know I had one when I was about 3 or 4, I don't remember much about it just remember it being in the living room as a kid. As I got older I had fish tanks growing up, I was always interested in the hobby just never had good advice. Now that I'm older and no longer live with my parents I have started learning. Although my husband thinks I'm crazy, I have a love of researching things and after I got my big tank is when I really started researching and found this wonderful place.

To be honest I would have asked for a manager and let management to make the decision. I've never heard anyone being denied an item for a pet because of age.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You sure they weren't flirting with you? Some people have STRANGE ways of trying to be friendly...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com