Too young for the hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you can ever be too young to start in the hobby. When you're 5 and 6 yeah you obviously will need help but I think kids growing up with fish tanks is great. I think it teaches responsibility to them and as they grow up they will always carry that with them.

Hey now! I started at 16 too :p

Used my money from my sweet 16 party to BUY the tank in fact :3

I still have my sweet 16 money!! I'm actually saving it for when I buy the rest of my stocking plan, and for live plants! :) High five! I think just finished cycling my 10g (Idk if its cycled or not) today too. :D

Though, don't you ever get that feeling where you have money but don't want to spend it? Lol :p That's how I feel but at the same time I know in gonna have to use it sooner or later. Haha

Had that feeling every single time there was money in my pocket..... Until I got my fish tank! :D
My mom is PISSED because every time I get money I spend it on my fish. 0_o

When I go fish shopping, sometimes she takes away a lot of my money so I don't spend it on fish and then I'm not allowed to spend it on them ever. :/

Had that feeling every single time there was money in my pocket..... Until I got my fish tank! :D
My mom is PISSED because every time I get money I spend it on my fish. 0_o

When I go fish shopping, sometimes she takes away a lot of my money so I don't spend it on fish and then I'm not allowed to spend it on them ever. :/

My parents don't really care what I spend my money on, so long as they don't have any partake in paying fees. Until I run out of money, then they're stricter on what I can get, and how much.

My local petco is next to a furniture (kind of) store, so whenever my mom goes there, I go to petco and stay in the fish section the whole time. It never gets old, especially now that I'm in the hobby :D I really wanted to blow off all my money on plants and items, but I had to stop myself at the time because my tank wasn't ready. It's like I want to buy everything. Haha!

No everyone has to make their own decisions and form their own opinions in my opinion you are at a great age for aquatic keeping!?

lol i have to pay my girlfriends mom 20 bucks a month because my fish tanks take so much power ill probably have to pay her more when i have my 55fresh and 75 fowlr set up

lol i have to pay my girlfriends mom 20 bucks a month because my fish tanks take so much power ill probably have to pay her more when i have my 55fresh and 75 fowlr set up

20 bucks doesn't sound too bad. It reminds me of the time when my brother had to pay 100 bucks to his roommate every month because his roommate simply didn't like the tanks there, and money was his motivator LOL. Man, I wish I had gotten a 20g to start off instead of a 10g. Darn.

20 bucks doesn't sound too bad. It reminds me of the time when my brother had to pay 100 bucks to his roommate every month because his roommate simply didn't like the tanks there, and money was his motivator LOL. Man, I wish I had gotten a 20g to start off instead of a 10g. Darn.

lol always a price to pay ;)

I got my first betta when I was maybe 6 or 7 and my first 10 gallon tank about a year later. I'm almost 24 and I've been keeping fish pretty much ever since that first betta. From my jr year of high school through my freshman year of college I had to take a break due to dorm rules, but before freshman year was over I had a small betta tank and I moved into an apartment that summer and got a tank again soon after. You aren't too young!

That associate was out of line. I mean, if you really do look 13 I could understand her having some reservations, but she shouldn't have treated you like that. She could have just nicely asked some questions to maybe see if you knew what you were talking about. Call her manager up and let them know how their employees are treating customers...

I got my first betta when I was maybe 6 or 7 and my first 10 gallon tank about a year later. I'm almost 24 and I've been keeping fish pretty much ever since that first betta. From my jr year of high school through my freshman year of college I had to take a break due to dorm rules, but before freshman year was over I had a small betta tank and I moved into an apartment that summer and got a tank again soon after. You aren't too young!

That associate was out of line. I mean, if you really do look 13 I could understand her having some reservations, but she shouldn't have treated you like that. She could have just nicely asked some questions to maybe see if you knew what you were talking about. Call her manager up and let them know how their employees are treating customers...

Thank you. I do wish she would've asked me questions instead of blowing me off. I should do that, but I wonder if the manager would take me seriously...-__- lol.
The first fish I ever had (well, my mom took care of everything) was also a betta. Unfortunately, it came in a bowl; we took it from a table at a party (it was free if you wanted it) and we never moved it to anything bigger. Then one day it jumped out of the bowl :(
I want to own a betta now, but I already have a tank to take care of, so maybe in the near future. My local petco has some really nice ones that I'd love to take. :D

Attachments

• image-3274282772.jpg
    image-3274282772.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3960777502.jpg
    image-3960777502.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3206615515.jpg
    image-3206615515.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image-340898502.jpg
    image-340898502.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-90281695.jpg
    image-90281695.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 80
It was like the other day for me. I called a Petsmart to ask them if they have a Fluval 406 for a 100G tank and they had one more left. So, me and my Dad made the trip which is about 45 minutes to go pick it up. When we got there, which was just bad timing, there was a group of people standing around it with a guy knelt down next to it writing on a piece of paper on it. My Dad's first reaction was "If she sold that filter I would cuss her out." I said, "No, Dad. These are people with feelings. They are humans, like us. We don't do that." Hahaha! Turns out she didn't sell it but I have no idea what the people were doing.

By the way, since I brought up Petsmart, does anyone else ever get a little frustrated when he employees there smack he glass the fish are in and they make the fish scatter? The guy helping me did that like 10 times. They use test strips to test water too? Isn't that quite inaccurate. Plus, I saw a couple of tanks with what looked like Lemon tetra in it and they couldn't tell me what fish it was! Then the guy told me he would fill my tank with Oscars and Cichlids because the rest of the fish ( Some of which I liked) looked girly and not as manly. I thought to myself "Just because that tetra is pink doesn't mean it can't be loved!" He also cussed in front of me too, which is kind of unprofessional but that honestly didn't bother me to bad. There was also a snail in the tank floating, and he stuck his hand in the tank and tried to forcefully stick it to the substrate. I'm really glad that I was fortunate to learn everything I have about fish from y'all here on AA! I've learned so much that I was actually able to help a customer out with some suggestions on their tank!

Also, age isn't important. Some of the worlds greatest athletes, musicians, and all other categories started at an age much younger than you! It just takes an open mind and determination. You have to start somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom