Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol no. It's a huge struggle for me to make money as I babysit for 2$ an hour... But I find my way through it. I really can't get much business in my area because... Well I don't know why, I sent flyers out with a list of things I would do and only got one call. It was to mulch a garden and I earned 25$ out of it. I am currently 14 but my birthday is in October. The min working age is 15 in pa but no one hires at that age.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a few ideas for chores you may be able to do
1. Mow the lawn
2. Vacuum
3. Dust
4. Clean windows
etc

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, in other words, the money to set up this new tank would come from your parents? And then the maintenance/upkeep costs as well?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea
I have a few ideas for chores you may be able to do
1. Mow the lawn
2. Vacuum
3. Dust
4. Clean windows
etc
I do all of those for free lol.. If I asked I would probably get yelled at..
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

And to lynda, I receive the money, and I'm allowed to spend it the way I wish, of that's what you mean, then yes
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another option, but this one you would have to talk to your parents about is selling something's on eBay. I don't have much money either and don't have a job (all places this summer didn't want me...) and I sold 2 of my older purses that I never use and got $30 from them
Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I could try that, thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
And to lynda, I receive the money, and I'm allowed to spend it the way I wish, of that's what you mean, then yes
So you get an alowance of sorts?

Actually what I meant was more a situation like, "ok mom & dad, I need the tank, these are the fish I want, I need this filter, etc." and expect them to shell out all the money for it. And then a month down the road, tell them you want more fish, a new test kit, etc. and expect them to pay for that, too. See what I mean?

If you don't do that, good for you!
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your parents may be concerned about starting a tank due to the money that could be involved in them. Have you had a fish tank before? Especially a nano reef?

I personally do not have a reef tank, let alone a nano one, as i know they are extremely hard to care for as everything must be perfect. If I was you, I would def start simple and build into it. I know it's probably something you don't want to hear, but i would start with your average freshwater set up to establish to your parents that you have the knowledge and ability to invest the time into taking care of your new hobby.

If you wanted to be extreme in presenting your 28 page document, also include a cost breakdown...you could get a complete 10 gallon starter kit for about 50 bucks if you look and probably even cheaper on Craigslist.

Just remember, you are 14, you have alllll the time in the world to have that great reef set up. Trust me, wait till you have the experience under your belt and the money in your pocket to start something like that. I'm 27 and have a decent job and I am waiting awhile before i tackle saltwater.

I hope my post makes sense. I think your parents just want to see you start out with something simple instead of complex. I think they would be more inclined to help you if you make it easy for yourself and them...

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

To lynda, I have not asked my parents for money, and the Money I make is from babysitting mainly and I receive all of my money from that monthly so in a way, yes.

And to the other most recent poster( your name slipped my mind lol) I have done fishkeeping for about 4 years and have bred german blue rams (probably the biggest thing I accomplished). I have done thorough research about corals and the saltwater fishkeeping subject in general for a year now. They allowed me to get one in may and I found a huge offer on craigslist but a week before I called someone bought it. I decided to get a gecko instead.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com