Tulsa... shark dies in freak accident

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frshwaterfinatc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Shark Dies at Aquarium

A freak accident at the Oklahoma Aquarium kills a shark. Aquarium officials say the shark died after jumping out of its tank. It’s believed a bull shark was chasing the female when she jumped. There is some good news, however. An autopsy shows that the shark was pregnant. It’s the first confirmed successful fertilization of a bull shark in captivity. It was believed that medicines used on sharks in captivity could make them sterile. Now aquarium officials think two other females in tank could also be pregnant. They'll know for sure in about 4 or 5 months.

(taken from From Fox News 23 website)

As sad as it is that the female is dead, I'm os glad to know that for the first time there has been a successful fertilization! Hopefully our other females are pregnant, too!

We deffinately need more sharks in our oceans. Jaws was the worst thing that could have happened to the shark populations, world wide. If we could just keep a Great White in captivity and get them ti breed, that too would be a great day. In California we are having to farm raise White Sea Bass (spotfin croaker) and release into the ocean, because of overfishing. It's a sad day when we need to start stocking the ocean.

Sorry for the loss.

Ya even Peter Benchley realized this. He now runs around preaching shark conservation. Finning in the big problem.

Make a statement. If you see shark fin soup on a menu... get up and leave the restaurant...and make sure EVERYONE knows why.

Same with swordfish, approximately 80% of the swordfish we eat never had a chance to spawn. 8O

Brad said:
Make a statement. If you see shark fin soup on a menu... get up and leave the restaurant...and make sure EVERYONE knows why.
I did that in Toronto once, told the managment why I was leaving. :evil:
They just shrugged me off, but I felt good about doing it. I was rather loud about it, good thing my wife was not with me. :wink:
Finning is a horrible thing.

Well.. if one or two people became more aware that there was an issue, then you did good. Of course, the message is to the restaurant owner. He's got to believe that he makes more money by NOT offering certain dishes.

I live in Tulsa, and work for the tv station frshwaterfinatc got the information from. This was a big loss to our Aquarium here. I had just been to the Aquarium about 3 weeks before the accident. Their shark tanks are so awesome. They also have a huge reef setup that is unbelieveable. Twice a day they have live divers go in to feed the fish. It's something I wish everyone could see.

Back
Top Bottom