UGH!!! That's all i can say!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my good friends, co workers who was let go about 6 months ago(sad)

Anyway he called me earlier just to play catch up, hey how are you, you know small talk, talking about getting the wives together for a night out, maybe catch a game, season ticket holder for Giants.

Well in talking. He has a 125 gallon tank with a stand he just refinished. He said I don't even know why I did it, I'm not gonna use it, it's just that I stare at it everyday so I wanna to do a different stain.

Well... He said I CAN HAVE IT!! Whoo Hoo!! And the filter and heater!! Penguin 400 and some fluval heater. Anyway I have 2 heaters and 2 filters of my own and 2 air pumps, 3 air stones and enough lights to light up Times Square!!

The problem as some of you already know is the wife, it's FREE.99!!! What's better then that?! She call the 55 a MONSTER in the livingroom. Why can't I wait till we get or if we ever get a bigger house. Not gonna happen in this day and age. They already cut my salary! A fire chief! I save people's lives! You can't put a price on that but I guess the mayor feels other wise. (another story)

I really really really want this tank! It's beautiful!! Has the wooden matching hood and he said he would re stain it darker to better go with the room decor an theme my wife had set up. I just don't know what to do. She's no way on board but as you know women are confusing. I can get the sea quest for the bedroom I told her I wouldn't get it and save all that money. She said no, I said the tank is free and I already have what I need to fill it with the exception of maybe some more gravel but I'm good with filters,heaters, and air stones and pumps. I said were all set!

I would have to move a chair and chair side table that her grandmother had given her to another location. Not gonna happen she looked at me like she wanted to kill me!!

I think I'm never gonna get a bigger tank. I'm overstocked with my Africans an really wanted a bigger tank I'd hate to have to bring some back. Was hoping to watch them grow and thrive. I'm mean my friend is willing to just hand it over his wife is thrilled lol.

I don't know what to do. I'm stuck here. I know pick your battles BUT if I get those goldfish with the big bug eyes she's cool with another small tank because she likes those a lot. I said I'd get her a small tank with one and I could get my friends tank. She's like why cant you just get me the goldfish and but him in the tank you have.

I tried to explain the whole thing about not mixing up the fish etc... I gave her one of my books to read. She said she would read it.

I think this exact reason most people are waiting longer to get married these days...Disagreements about fish tanks

That's just plain bad luck.A FREE 125g and you can't have it.I would be careful though buddy and don't push too hard.She's already given in to a lot.
And your not overstocked you could get like 20 fish in the tank you have.
You have a great looking tank with some great fish.Just be happy for what you have lol

ridewithme38 said:
I think this exact reason most people are waiting longer to get married these days...Disagreements about fish tanks

Fish... The marriage killer!! :(

So but seriously I live my wife but I don't understand it's FREE!! And yet I can spend oh I dunno when all said and done maybe $1,000 or more on a sea quest,fish,coral,rock,sand etc... And that's ok? Doesn't make sense.

Your wife is just being smart. The tank may be free, but all the stuff you will need to buy for it isn't. New filter, gravel, more fish, etc......

Your wife is recognizing a budget. You are recognizing a good deal. Maybe you two should talk about it and try to meet in the middle.

LyndaB said:
Your wife is just being smart. The tank may be free, but all the stuff you will need to buy for it isn't. New filter, gravel, more fish, etc......

Your wife is recognizing a budget. You are recognizing a good deal. Maybe you two should talk about it and try to meet in the middle.

A 75 is in the middle :)

Bwaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa..... :ROFLMAO:

I would have to move a chair and chair side table that her grandmother had given her to another location. Not gonna happen she looked at me like she wanted to kill me!!

AHA! I don't know how I missed this the first go round...... read it again, slowly, and tell me why your wife doesn't want a bigger fish tank in this room. Go ahead, you can do it.

Also I have filters and he has one. I have 2 heaters and he has 1 that's 3 filters and 3 heaters. So yeah maybe more gravel but I think I'm good with fish as I'm probably overstocked anyway. And I have so much decor in storage.

But I do understand. Because of course I would need to find a nice light with LED's and moon light effect.

But yet this is what I don't understand. I can get the sea quest for the bedroom. So that's more money right there. I think she thinks the bigger tank is gonna clutter the living room. I think that's her main issue. Then again I could be wrong.

jetajockey said:
Well it looks like you are at a pivotal moment between your fishkeeping life and your home life, good luck, just remember, your fish can't take half of everything when they go. lol.

Haha so true brother!! So true!! And thanks. I'll get through this. Christmas is in the air! At least I hope so. :)

Also I have filters and he has one. I have 2 heaters and he has 1 that's 3 filters and 3 heaters. So yeah maybe more gravel but I think I'm good with fish as I'm probably overstocked anyway. And I have so much decor in storage.

But I do understand. Because of course I would need to find a nice light with LED's and moon light effect.

But yet this is what I don't understand. I can get the sea quest for the bedroom. So that's more money right there. I think she thinks the bigger tank is gonna clutter the living room. I think that's her main issue. Then again I could be wrong.

Maybe draw up your plan? Do a tri-fold board? PowerPoint? Excel spreadsheet of the budget? I would be pulling out everything over a free tank and that you have many of the things for it already. Good luck!

I'd hate to lose this chance to grab such a nice tank/ stand for free. But I guess she cracked the whip! LoL. She thinks I've just lost my mind!

Hahaha! She's like all I wanted was a goldfish for our son in a bowl. I told he can't be in a bowl he needs a tank with a filter and everything. Well the goldfish died within 2 weeks. We had him in that fluval chi, I didn't know any better so I started researching fish and I wanted to fully understand what happened to the gold fish and that's how it all started. But she wants a dog?! Hahaha I laugh at her.

This is the dog she wants.

View attachment 61352

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Maybe draw up your plan? Do a tri-fold board? PowerPoint? Excel spreadsheet of the budget? I would be pulling out everything over a free tank and that you have many of the things for it already. Good luck!

Great idea! Thanks!!

Honey have a seat... As I dim the lights and start power point with hand outs :)

AHA! I don't know how I missed this the first go round...... read it again, slowly, and tell me why your wife doesn't want a bigger fish tank in this room. Go ahead, you can do it.

She doesn't want you to mess with the furniture she got from her grandmother...... hellllllooooooooooooooooo..... why are you not getting this? You're not blond, are you?

By the way, that is just the cutest dog..... get her the dog, she deserves it. :D

LyndaB said:
She doesn't want you to mess with the furniture she got from her grandmother...... hellllllooooooooooooooooo..... why are you not getting this? You're not blond, are you?

By the way, that is just the cutest dog..... get her the dog, she deserves it. :D

[Moderator edit] I'm just going to rearrange it. I hate that chair and no one sits on it anyway. And the dog? The dog will do more damage and require more attention then my fish!! LoL.

And no, I'm not blonde! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll try to explain this to you, from a woman's perspective.....

Family items that have been passed down are treasured. That's why no one sits on the chair. It's there to provide your wife with comfort, which it obviously does, plus she has a responsibility to be the keeper. I have a marble top table that was originally my grandparents. It went to my mother on their deaths and when my mother died, it came to me. It's not "mine" but rather it's in my keeping.

This is why she doesn't want it moved. Trust me..... this is important.

By the way, that's a really cute dog. :whistle:

LyndaB said:
Ok, I'll try to explain this to you, from a woman's perspective.....

Family items that have been passed down are treasured. That's why no one sits on the chair. It's there to provide your wife with comfort, which it obviously does, plus she has a responsibility to be the keeper. I have a marble top table that was originally my grandparents. It went to my mother on their deaths and when my mother died, it came to me. It's not "mine" but rather it's in my keeping.

This is why she doesn't want it moved. Trust me..... this is important.

By the way, that's a really cute dog. :whistle:

Thanks! It is a cute dog. But we'll have to make a deal! :)

You're not getting the whole "grandma's furniture" thing at all, are you..... :banghead:

By the way, if that's you holding that really cute dog, you're pretty hot..... who knew?

Back
Top Bottom