underrated fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gar which most consider to be a garbage fish but I love em haha (just don't let em loose if they get to big cause they are an apex predator : /)

Mrc8858 said:
Gar which most consider to be a garbage fish but I love em haha (just don't let em loose if they get to big cause they are an apex predator : /)

interesting :) never dealt with any huge fish like that cause the biggest I have now is a 55.

Gar are awesome looking I think the size and the fact they kill everything stops people from getting them but they are an impressive looking fish

Neon tetras. People start off with them but move on to bigger and better fish.

You consider these to be underrated? Having these fish in my state would make you the luckiest person in the aquarium club. I rarely have never seen a rope fish in person.

paytertot said:
Really? They carry them at my lfs, and I have 3

+1 there's always a hand full in my lfs the day after shipments

Here in Hawaii you would be lucky to find native north american fish like darters or oddballs like bichirs.

Danios. My lfs has about 5 or 6 different species on hand most of the time. Not just the boring zebra or long finned zebra, too. They have blue, gold, leopard, giant, pearl, some others. I have a school of long finned blue and lf leopard.

Also otos. Better for small tanks than regular sized cories IMO

bettaowner said:
Here in Hawaii you would be lucky to find native north american fish like darters or oddballs like bichirs.

I feel so bad for you :( Bichirs are awesome awesome fish and I've kept quite a few in my day. Always underrated :)

For me, the most underrated fish I have ever kept is the Croaking Gourami (T. Vittata). It usually gets passed over for its little cousin T. Pulvia (I think that's it, shooting that off from ye back of my brain), the Sparkling Gourami.

I would have to say Bettas, neon tetras are also very overlooked. This will sound weird but if you look at a neon tetra pretending you have never seen one before you will really appreciate the true beauty they have. Just look at that stunning blue and red!! I have to say those are my favorite colors!

I agree that North American native fish are often under appreciated. There are some amazingly colorful and fun fish in this country. Case is point, rainbow darter.
Another one, is dwarf cichlids like apistos and Laetacara. People always like rams, but there are some WAY cooler little community friendly cichlids out there that are often overlooked. Case in point, Laetacara buckelkopf.

The pinfish I personally think is underrated

Pinfish are not generally sought as sport or food in the United States due to their small size and numerous small bones. They are used as live bait by anglers targeting red drum, speckled sea trout and flounder. They may be caught on small hooks along piers and jetties, but often are considered a nuisance bait stealer.

I have 1 in my 55 he is very funny to watch he thinks hes smart and likes to play tricks on the other fish.

Geos and Diamond Tetras.. Diamonds get overlooked and are sold at most LFS. Get a nice school of them and you have plenty of activity.

The pinfish I personally think is underrated

Pinfish are not generally sought as sport or food in the United States due to their small size and numerous small bones. They are used as live bait by anglers targeting red drum, speckled sea trout and flounder. They may be caught on small hooks along piers and jetties, but often are considered a nuisance bait stealer.

I have 1 in my 55 he is very funny to watch he thinks hes smart and likes to play tricks on the other fish.

Interesting choice. I've caught thousands of these over the years and have used many for bait. They do have some pretty color in them and a temperament similar to freshwater cichlid or centrarchid.

Back
Top Bottom