Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Unfortunate USPS Story

Well I recently shipped off a boatload of hornwort wrapped in a paper towel soaked in tank water, placed in a large plastic bag, then placed in an envelope. I went to the post office and informed the person that helped me EXACTLY what was in the envelope. Sadly the following is the end result. This is a message from the AA member that I sent the plants to.

"Envelope arrived today, wet, wrapped in 3 plastic bags. They all have this message printed on them:

Dear Postal Customer:

We sincerely regret the damage to your mail during handling by the Postal Service. We hope this incident did not inconvenience you. We realize that your mail is important to you and that you have every right to expect it to be delivered in good condition.

Although every effort is made to prevent damage to the mail, occaisonally this will occur due to the great volume handled and the rapid processing methods which must be employed to assure the most expeditious distribution possible.

We hope you understand. We assure you that we are constantly striving to improve our processing methods in order that even a rare occurence may be eliminated.

Please accept our apologies.

Your Postmaster

When I opened it everything was mushy and smelled cooked, quite similar to steamed spinach. The paper towels were stained green. I suspect the envelope was microwaved somewhere along the line. I remember hearing something about that being done as a security measure after 911, and a shipment of mail catching fire as a result. I suppose a leaking envelope made someone set off someone's paranoia, if it wasn't simply done as a precaution. In any case none of the plants were alive, much less intact."

I'm going to ship a new batch to him when I get some...in a box this time. However, this is still dissapointing to say the least.

black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sounds to me that USPS pretty much said:

'We screwed up, it happens occasionally, sorry about your luck, but we're not gonna fix our mistake.'

Kinda crappy

On a side note, I've had better luck shipping plants wrapped in a paper towel that was damp, rather than soaked. Tends to make the plants rot faster, if they do end up dieing.

"... if any one specie does not become modified and improved in a corresponding degree with its competitors, it will soon be exterminated." - Charles Darwin
evercl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I mailed my used filter cartridge to a member on here, I didn't tell the USPS what was in it. I stuck it in one of those white-locktop ziploc bags and wrapped it further in a bit of bubble wrap in case the bag broke and it leaked. Then I taped up the bubble wrap and stuck it in a box. So if it had leaked, no one would've known. It arrived just fine.

I know the USPS asks you if there's anything liquid, flammable, etc. Just say no.
29-gallon FW
1 yoyo loach, 2 polkadot loaches, 6 cherry barbs, 2 turquoise rainbows, 1 chinese algae eater, 2 harlequin rasboras; java fern, java moss, hornwort, Asian ambulia
LandGhoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I always tell them no to liquids when I ship plants. There is nothing liquid, just something damp. And definitley always ship in a box. You can get FREE USPS Priority Mail boxes either in the post office or online (you don't even have to pay shipping and you can get hundeds of boxes!). Definitley safer that way.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
The priority boxes are great. Mark the package LIVE PLANTS that may prevent the microwaving
Algenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I always pack my plants in a damp paper towel inside a ziplock bag. And I always say no liquids. I've had nothing but good luck shipping. Sometimes though, I've received plants that were cooked looking, but I know it was from the summer heat, especially if the package came from all the way across the country.

2 planted tanks: 40g, 20g ; 38g Reef tank
My links to pics: 40g breeder planted build, 40g breeder planted update, My 38g Reef Build

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com