Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Here's your answer Tom:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=4880

RR describes in detail the whole re-sizing thing.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I find most images in jpeg format smaller than 1024X768 will be smaller than 250KB. 250KB is the limit on the photo gallery. 100KB is the limit in the forums. Most images smaller than 800x600 will fit this limit. When you save an image into jpg format you can set the compression ratio. Lowering this from lets say 90% to 80% often has a very negligable effect on the acutal image but can lower the image file size by as much as 30-40% if not more.

Dont worry about disk usage on AA except for your personal quotas. We own or own server so disk space is not a concern.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for clearing that up FF. I meant to say your personal upload limits, not the server.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
kansaschick08

most people my age use photobucket and so do i, but alot of other people use phototrail.com they seem to like it.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, I found the photo stuff on the site help forum. I still don't get where you get jpeg compression, my software has resize, but no compression. Ahh well. I am not very experienced with digital photo stuff. I do have a website host with comcast, and can put photos up there. Would each photo have to be its own webpage in order to link to the photo in AA? This is rather confusing to me.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hate to double post, but after reading the site help forum again I came away with the opinion that I should just resize a photo to a certain pixel dimension. Is there a magic pixel dimension that will work with AA? like x by y pixels for posts, or l by W pixels for the photo gallery? Or is there a best resolution to take them right from the start? My camera goes from VGA to 4 megapixels. Will starting with too high a resolution just doom me to an ity bity image to upload?

If I go with uploading to my own webpage area, how do I know I am not making them too large for users with slower internet access?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

If the photo gallery is formatted so that it can identify the url for separate pictures, then you got a home run. You would have to check it out.

As far as re-sizing pictures...all the information and steps on doing it is what prompted folks to utilize the storage webs to upload pics. It's a huge short cut and you don't have to worry about the re-sizing thing.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would like to interject our limits are more for the sanity of those on thinband (modems) vs those on broadband. Modem users dont like to sit thru a 500KB+ image download just to view it for a few seconds.

I posted above that 1024x768 in jpg format is usually good for the photogallery and 800x600 is usually good for the forums. Now all that will depend on the subject mater in the photo. For best photo outcome take the image at the highest resolution you can and then crop the image to include only the subject of interest and then resize the image. Vary rarly does the subject take up the entire image.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got it! My downfall was using the properties pull down menu in the microsoft photo editor or right clicking the full sized image in microsoft editor, which kept telling me the file was much larger than it was. However, when I hovered the mouse over the same photo's thumbnail(before microsoft photo editor opened it) , I always got a much smaller file size. For example, my 185KB photo is listed as 1098828 bytes by the properties menu. My 246KB file is listed as 2289168 bytes by the properties pull down menu, but only 253,952 bytes by right clicking the thumbnail. Why is this? Why are they different? Is there some obscure computer fuzzy math that I don't know about, or is microsoft photo editor just daft? You have no idea how confused this made me,and how much aggravation it caused. And now you know why I couldn't figure it out!

edit: Thanks FishFreek! 800x600 or 1024x768 ! Isn't is easy!
Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I use Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com for editing...a lot easier than photo editor and its free!

Tags
oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com