**(Update)**Anything better than "Photobucket"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am a little annoyed and very embarassed! For the past couple of days, I've been uploading photos from Photobucket.com. I've used this storage site in the past (emails and such) and never had a problem.

Today, all the photos I uploaded from Photobucket are missing (little white dots left behind).

Has anyone had a similiar problem and is this problem limited to Photobucket and not the other storage sites?

If not, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

(Thank goodness I didn't delete my originals.)

***I finally figured out what the problem is. My place of employment "blocks" access to Photobucket.com. Very simple - I didn't think that the IT folks would consider it "highly likely to contain graphic material"...go figure. :(

I use Pricenetwork.com - not sure how I wound up there but that's where all of my images are, and I have some pretty old pics in there that still show up in old posts - never had a problem.

You definitely want to find a reliable source, Bill, you've got the kick butt camera and you are rapidly becoming an expert with it.

lmw80 said:
Bill, the images I posted from the gathering thise weekend in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=44395&start=0
are from photobucket, and they show up just fine for me...

I have never had a problem with photobucket...maybe they had a hiccup?

It may very well have been a "hiccup". I just checked (just getting home from work - job will not allow access to these sites) and the pics have miraculously returned! :wink:

Thanks for the input everyone...I will try these also. :D

Can you tell my why you would use such a service, when you can upload directly to AA? I will admit, I wish I had a program that let me resize a photo so that I knew AA would accept it. Now I gradually reduce the pixel count, then try again. I find that AA accepts a photo for upload even though my resize tool still says it is above AA limits. Is there a better way than trial and error?

TomK2 said:
Can you tell my why you would use such a service, when you can upload directly to AA? I will admit, I wish I had a program that let me resize a photo so that I knew AA would accept it. Now I gradually reduce the pixel count, then try again. I find that AA accepts a photo for upload even though my resize tool still says it is above AA limits. Is there a better way than trial and error?

That is precisely why. When attaching direct from your PC, it has to be the perfect size (100kb). This method also takes up space on the AA server. When you upload from a url, the AA server is not affected and you don't have to re-size your photos (sometimes your photo will be really small when you finally get it that it cannot be viewed the way you intended.) The other small reason is you may accidentally save the re-sized version and cannot correct it after it's been reduced. Oh, the service is usually free, so it's a win-win for everyone. IMHO.

Ok, so only slightly off topic, what is the best way to get a photo prepped for upload? All my photos, even the ones taken in VGA mode, are too large of a file. Is there a compression utility I can get so a decent sized file with decent resolution can be uploaded? Is there a resolution (dpi) that I should save the file at for best results? Is there a correlation between the "size of file" in the photo editing software on my pc and the uploaded file size? As I have mentioned, it gets accepted by AA at an amount that is larger than 250K (i ithink), so I am confused how it works. If I reduce it to 250K in my photo software, it is a really tiny thumbnail. Should I start a new thread for this? Is there already a thread or tutorial for this? Do I ask too many questions? :)

I find most images in jpeg format smaller than 1024X768 will be smaller than 250KB. 250KB is the limit on the photo gallery. 100KB is the limit in the forums. Most images smaller than 800x600 will fit this limit. When you save an image into jpg format you can set the compression ratio. Lowering this from lets say 90% to 80% often has a very negligable effect on the acutal image but can lower the image file size by as much as 30-40% if not more.

Dont worry about disk usage on AA except for your personal quotas. We own or own server so disk space is not a concern.

most people my age use photobucket and so do i, but alot of other people use phototrail.com they seem to like it.

ok, I found the photo stuff on the site help forum. I still don't get where you get jpeg compression, my software has resize, but no compression. Ahh well. I am not very experienced with digital photo stuff. I do have a website host with comcast, and can put photos up there. Would each photo have to be its own webpage in order to link to the photo in AA? This is rather confusing to me.

Hate to double post, but after reading the site help forum again I came away with the opinion that I should just resize a photo to a certain pixel dimension. Is there a magic pixel dimension that will work with AA? like x by y pixels for posts, or l by W pixels for the photo gallery? Or is there a best resolution to take them right from the start? My camera goes from VGA to 4 megapixels. Will starting with too high a resolution just doom me to an ity bity image to upload?

If I go with uploading to my own webpage area, how do I know I am not making them too large for users with slower internet access?

If the photo gallery is formatted so that it can identify the url for separate pictures, then you got a home run. You would have to check it out.

As far as re-sizing pictures...all the information and steps on doing it is what prompted folks to utilize the storage webs to upload pics. It's a huge short cut and you don't have to worry about the re-sizing thing.

I would like to interject our limits are more for the sanity of those on thinband (modems) vs those on broadband. Modem users dont like to sit thru a 500KB+ image download just to view it for a few seconds.

I posted above that 1024x768 in jpg format is usually good for the photogallery and 800x600 is usually good for the forums. Now all that will depend on the subject mater in the photo. For best photo outcome take the image at the highest resolution you can and then crop the image to include only the subject of interest and then resize the image. Vary rarly does the subject take up the entire image.

I got it! My downfall was using the properties pull down menu in the microsoft photo editor or right clicking the full sized image in microsoft editor, which kept telling me the file was much larger than it was. However, when I hovered the mouse over the same photo's thumbnail(before microsoft photo editor opened it) , I always got a much smaller file size. For example, my 185KB photo is listed as 1098828 bytes by the properties menu. My 246KB file is listed as 2289168 bytes by the properties pull down menu, but only 253,952 bytes by right clicking the thumbnail. Why is this? Why are they different? Is there some obscure computer fuzzy math that I don't know about, or is microsoft photo editor just daft? You have no idea how confused this made me,and how much aggravation it caused. And now you know why I couldn't figure it out!

edit: Thanks FishFreek! 800x600 or 1024x768 ! Isn't is easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom