Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

**(Update)**Anything better than "Photobucket"?

I am a little annoyed and very embarassed! For the past couple of days, I've been uploading photos from Photobucket.com. I've used this storage site in the past (emails and such) and never had a problem.

Today, all the photos I uploaded from Photobucket are missing (little white dots left behind).

Has anyone had a similiar problem and is this problem limited to Photobucket and not the other storage sites?

If not, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

(Thank goodness I didn't delete my originals.)

***I finally figured out what the problem is. My place of employment "blocks" access to Photobucket.com. Very simple - I didn't think that the IT folks would consider it "highly likely to contain graphic material"...go figure.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use http://imageshack.us/. It is ok.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Ditto on imageshack.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I use Pricenetwork.com - not sure how I wound up there but that's where all of my images are, and I have some pretty old pics in there that still show up in old posts - never had a problem.

You definitely want to find a reliable source, Bill, you've got the kick butt camera and you are rapidly becoming an expert with it.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Bill, the images I posted from the gathering thise weekend in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=44395&start=0
are from photobucket, and they show up just fine for me...

I have never had a problem with photobucket...maybe they had a hiccup?

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Both http://imageshack.us and http://www.imagecave.com are good.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw80
Bill, the images I posted from the gathering thise weekend in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=44395&start=0
are from photobucket, and they show up just fine for me...

I have never had a problem with photobucket...maybe they had a hiccup?
It may very well have been a "hiccup". I just checked (just getting home from work - job will not allow access to these sites) and the pics have miraculously returned!

Thanks for the input everyone...I will try these also.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you tell my why you would use such a service, when you can upload directly to AA? I will admit, I wish I had a program that let me resize a photo so that I knew AA would accept it. Now I gradually reduce the pixel count, then try again. I find that AA accepts a photo for upload even though my resize tool still says it is above AA limits. Is there a better way than trial and error?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK2
Can you tell my why you would use such a service, when you can upload directly to AA? I will admit, I wish I had a program that let me resize a photo so that I knew AA would accept it. Now I gradually reduce the pixel count, then try again. I find that AA accepts a photo for upload even though my resize tool still says it is above AA limits. Is there a better way than trial and error?
That is precisely why. When attaching direct from your PC, it has to be the perfect size (100kb). This method also takes up space on the AA server. When you upload from a url, the AA server is not affected and you don't have to re-size your photos (sometimes your photo will be really small when you finally get it that it cannot be viewed the way you intended.) The other small reason is you may accidentally save the re-sized version and cannot correct it after it's been reduced. Oh, the service is usually free, so it's a win-win for everyone. IMHO.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so only slightly off topic, what is the best way to get a photo prepped for upload? All my photos, even the ones taken in VGA mode, are too large of a file. Is there a compression utility I can get so a decent sized file with decent resolution can be uploaded? Is there a resolution (dpi) that I should save the file at for best results? Is there a correlation between the "size of file" in the photo editing software on my pc and the uploaded file size? As I have mentioned, it gets accepted by AA at an amount that is larger than 250K (i ithink), so I am confused how it works. If I reduce it to 250K in my photo software, it is a really tiny thumbnail. Should I start a new thread for this? Is there already a thread or tutorial for this? Do I ask too many questions?

Tags
oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com