*Update* The Museum of Natural History Trip (w/pics)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were you ever! It was all I could do to supress yelling out:

"Wow, Menagerie was right...you are a 'bombshell"!

I did manage to compose myself and behave in a typical AA fashion!

Jchillin said:
I did manage to compose myself and behave in a typical AA fashion!

Oh, thats saying a whole lot! :roll:

I think I've only seen her post a couple of times. Her poor freind looked like he didnt realize what he had gotten himself into until it was too late :)

hehe oh man guys, you are making me blush.. :oops: :oops:
i still have to upload my pics to my comp... but i worked all day and now i'm going back out

wow... jchillin is a huge guy. haha. i never knew! 8O

it's so weird what kind of picture your mind draws when you have no idea what a person actually looks like.

and bubbleyblue is cute. 8)

-brent

I just got back from my weekend in NYC, and though our flight was delayed 3 hours due to snow and de-icing issues, we had a great time.

It was so much fun to finally meet some of my online friends, and to be able to spend so much time talking fish. The museum was awesome and thanks to Jon for the round he bought us at the bar afterwards - I don't think I thanked him properly!

Also extra thanks to Bill (Jchillin) for the garlic knots he got us at the pizza joint - to die for 8) and for being so prompt to with the update for this thread.

My pics are on a disposable camera so I've got to get them on disk and I'll post them when I get them back.

Particular thanks must go to Brian and his wife Tara, for picking us up at the airport, showing us the town, and putting us up for the night - more gracious hosts will not be found anywhere! His discus and ancistrus are amazing and *smack* me upside the head for not getting pics of them.

I had so much fun talking with everyone and I can't wait to do it again - I LOVE NY! (y)

TankGirl said:
Also extra thanks to Bill (Jchillin) for the garlic knots he got us at the pizza joint - to die for 8) and for being so prompt to with the update for this thread.

Don't mention it Liz - Everyone should enjoy a unique little piece of NY

TankGirl said:
and for being so prompt to with the update for this thread.

Being a local sure has it's advantages. (y)

TankGirl said:
My pics are on a disposable camera so I've got to get them on disk and I'll post them when I get them back.

Can't wait to see your vantage point!

TankGirl said:
Particular thanks must go to Brian and his wife Tara, for picking us up at the airport, showing us the town, and putting us up for the night - more gracious hosts will not be found anywhere!

I echo that TankGirl - I actually had the opportunity to ride shotgun with Brian in his car in his quest to "Find Parking in Manhattan on a weekend" LOL

TankGirl said:
I had so much fun talking with everyone and I can't wait to do it again - I LOVE NY! (y)

And let's not forget, your husband was a lot of fun too! I believe he and Brian have a project that is under development - the 500 gal tank! You're both welcome to return to NY at any time (I will let you know when and if our Fire Dept. ever changes their colors to lime green...LOL

Thanks, Bill! If they ever do change their colors it would be a shame- tradition is such a big deal there in NYC and I can see why. Hopefully next time we will get to meet your wife, and do some more of the museum, since we hardly scratched the surface. We could have spent all weekend there.

In spite of the preponderance of fishy talk, Rick did have a good time and was able to participate in some non-fishy discussions.

Incidentally, since we got bumped to a later flight Rick and I got 4 free round-trip tickets to anywhere US Air goes, so we can bring the kids up there next time (*sound of Brian hurrying to change his address and phone number*:wink: ).

8O Houseguests??? Did Tara and I have houseguests? We hardly knew you guys were there Liz. You're welcome anytime. :D

One of these days my wife and I would love to spend some time in NY... might have to make it coincide with an AA get-together! Looks and sounds like you all had a lot of fun!

From the outside...

"Tank Girl's Husband" here...
Two things impressed me the most about this gathering; The amount of words that can be used to describe fish and associated equipment, and the closeness of a group of people that have never met in person.

I have not much more than a passing interest in Tank Girl's hobby so when I saw this group in action talking about absolutely everything that is even remotely associated with aquaria, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, I was a little overwhelmed. If you like to talk about fish and equipment and chemistry, you should have been there.

It is something to behold to see people that have never laid eyes on each other be familiar, fast friends. The warmth extended readily to S.O.s as well. I was made to feel welcome in a group that had not existed before outside of cyberspace. It is a bit frustrating to try to follow a sentence though..."I got different results from so-and-so" is tough to follow if you didn't read the thread.

Thanks to all of you that made a supportive S.O. (read "outsider") feel welcome in what is obviously a close-knit group.

Thanks to BrianNY for room and board in his beautiful party house. (Tell Tara I said thanks too)

Remember, "Water is key!"

Well, I owe all my thanks to everyone on the thread who brought this meeting together. Though I was participating when the meeting was first being planned, I've, ahem, fallen off the face of the planet due to my new job. Suffice it to say that I wasn't even aware that half of the ppl there would be there!

You guys wouldn't believe the amount of picture-taking going on throughout the meeting! I almost brought my camera, but I realized 2 minutes into the museum that it really wasn't necessary. There are some really great pictures up here. Lori, I'm especially impressed by your shots. That picture of Andy is phenomenal.

Somebody took a picture of me and Cat at MaryAnn's... Was it Brian? Or Lori? Or Daniel? Could somebody send me that/those picture/s??

Very glad to meet you all. Jackie (and David), Bill (and your wife?), you guys gotta try to make it to the Greater City Aquarium Society meeting next Wednesday at 7:30 at the Queens Botanical Gardens, since you're fairly close. I'm going, and I think several of us will. Andy, Brian? Sniff... Allison???????????????????????????????

Yes, Rick. Water is key. But so are aquariums that are properly equipped to hold it in. Grr........

THANKS, ALL!!

Hey Jon (was wondering when you get to this)! To say the least, my wife is soooo upset that she didn't make it (the pictures alone were enough to drive her nuts). I will do my best to make the meeting. Andy mentioned that there will be an auction in May also.

I did not get the pic of you and Cat, Jon (that was one loooonnnng table - I could not even see you guys!) but here is one of the bunch taking a break at the museum- from far left Daniel, Lori, Brian, Jon, Jackie and David. Who knows where everyone else was, but in retrospect it is interesting that we did not lose track of anyone in our group, even though we did not always stay together and the place was mobbed!

normal_AA%20gang%20at%20MNH%2C%20NYC%20Feb2005.jpg

I am not sure if we have the picture of you guys - I have been bugging daniel to upload his pictures!

It was very hard to get a shot of andy...and I do pride myself on finally getting one! 8)

Jchillin said:
Hurrrmpphhh...typical tourists! Sitting in front of the directional map of the exhibits without caring if anyone needed to use it....LOL

I think a couple of people did need to use it - we just kind a looked at them, lol.

oh i forgot to mention.. david did have a good time.. and we left MaryAnn's and were walking and he was like " you know after all that fish talk.. i don't even know what they are but now i want a snow white discus"

:D The summer get together in NY will be based on Menageries visit. We wouldn't want to hold 2 without her. Just as soon as you have the dates, let me know and we'll begin the preparations Meghan. :wink:

BillyZ, if you live near Buffalo, JetBlues' RT is just a bit over $100 to NYC. I sometimes fly there, rent a car and drive to Toronto. Very cost effective. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom