Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

One of these days my wife and I would love to spend some time in NY... might have to make it coincide with an AA get-together! Looks and sounds like you all had a lot of fun!

Old 02-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

From the outside...

"Tank Girl's Husband" here...
Two things impressed me the most about this gathering; The amount of words that can be used to describe fish and associated equipment, and the closeness of a group of people that have never met in person.

I have not much more than a passing interest in Tank Girl's hobby so when I saw this group in action talking about absolutely everything that is even remotely associated with aquaria, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, I was a little overwhelmed. If you like to talk about fish and equipment and chemistry, you should have been there.

It is something to behold to see people that have never laid eyes on each other be familiar, fast friends. The warmth extended readily to S.O.s as well. I was made to feel welcome in a group that had not existed before outside of cyberspace. It is a bit frustrating to try to follow a sentence though..."I got different results from so-and-so" is tough to follow if you didn't read the thread.

Thanks to all of you that made a supportive S.O. (read "outsider") feel welcome in what is obviously a close-knit group.

Thanks to BrianNY for room and board in his beautiful party house. (Tell Tara I said thanks too)

Remember, "Water is key!"

Old 02-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Well, I owe all my thanks to everyone on the thread who brought this meeting together. Though I was participating when the meeting was first being planned, I've, ahem, fallen off the face of the planet due to my new job. Suffice it to say that I wasn't even aware that half of the ppl there would be there!

You guys wouldn't believe the amount of picture-taking going on throughout the meeting! I almost brought my camera, but I realized 2 minutes into the museum that it really wasn't necessary. There are some really great pictures up here. Lori, I'm especially impressed by your shots. That picture of Andy is phenomenal.

Somebody took a picture of me and Cat at MaryAnn's... Was it Brian? Or Lori? Or Daniel? Could somebody send me that/those picture/s??

Very glad to meet you all. Jackie (and David), Bill (and your wife?), you guys gotta try to make it to the Greater City Aquarium Society meeting next Wednesday at 7:30 at the Queens Botanical Gardens, since you're fairly close. I'm going, and I think several of us will. Andy, Brian? Sniff... Allison???????????????????????????????

Yes, Rick. Water is key. But so are aquariums that are properly equipped to hold it in. Grr........

THANKS, ALL!!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Jon (was wondering when you get to this)! To say the least, my wife is soooo upset that she didn't make it (the pictures alone were enough to drive her nuts). I will do my best to make the meeting. Andy mentioned that there will be an auction in May also.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

I did not get the pic of you and Cat, Jon (that was one loooonnnng table - I could not even see you guys!) but here is one of the bunch taking a break at the museum- from far left Daniel, Lori, Brian, Jon, Jackie and David. Who knows where everyone else was, but in retrospect it is interesting that we did not lose track of anyone in our group, even though we did not always stay together and the place was mobbed!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I am not sure if we have the picture of you guys - I have been bugging daniel to upload his pictures!

It was very hard to get a shot of andy...and I do pride myself on finally getting one! 8)

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Hurrrmpphhh...typical tourists! Sitting in front of the directional map of the exhibits without caring if anyone needed to use it....LOL
Old 02-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Hurrrmpphhh...typical tourists! Sitting in front of the directional map of the exhibits without caring if anyone needed to use it....LOL
I think a couple of people did need to use it - we just kind a looked at them, lol.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:31 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

oh i forgot to mention.. david did have a good time.. and we left MaryAnn's and were walking and he was like " you know after all that fish talk.. i don't even know what they are but now i want a snow white discus"

Old 02-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

The summer get together in NY will be based on Menageries visit. We wouldn't want to hold 2 without her. Just as soon as you have the dates, let me know and we'll begin the preparations Meghan.

BillyZ, if you live near Buffalo, JetBlues' RT is just a bit over $100 to NYC. I sometimes fly there, rent a car and drive to Toronto. Very cost effective.

Tags
pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com