Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Upset with petco

ok, i am a touch upset with petco.... yes we all know there short comings with the knowledgebase they have... some employees are fantastic and other know nothing.. plain and simple there just inconsistent with the info you recieve..... i have learned an amazing amount of info here and Im currently working with a 20G and a 5G. I have MTS really bad so I am still learning and have to go on others opinion and suggestions... with that being said I am learning how to have and maintain a planted tank (my 20G) and I find out tonight from a member that 1/2 of the plants I purchased from petco are not aquatic. due to my lack of knowledge I questioned the info I got and did some additional research and as usual the member was spot on!!! now I have other issues with my lighting (recently learned) but I am attacking that... My issue is how can any business give false info! Just plain wrong!!!! I want to set up a 125G but i must learn first....

The positive from all this is that I met a member more than willing to help and also pointed me in the direction of who to get plants from on this site!

Sorry just needed to get this off my chest very upset with the chain store... GOD BLESS THIS SITE!!!!!!!!

really wish i had an IFS near me.....

Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is hard to trust anything you hear from big box stores. The best thing to do when you are in doubt is to put up a thread here. Like you said everyone here is helpful and willing to give their input. I wouldn't have ever gotten as far in the hobby if it hadn't been for this site.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Look It Up

Same thing happened to me and it was at a PetCo. They had tanks with just plants, all the plants were submerged. Some I knew were Ok (anachris) but others I hadn't seen before. I asked the employee for low maintenance, low-light plants and he sold me two bunches of assorted plants in a pot. They were pretty and I saw they were in water, so I figured they were safe. I got home and took out the stick with the names of them. Posted on here and did some research and found that none of them were fully aquatic so I threw them out. I was mad but ultimately my own fault for not researching and trusting the employee.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

believe nothing you hear and half of what you see

You should do your own research before. A fish tank is an investment. Money matters and if spent foolishly it will never serve its purpose!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joschac2 View Post
ok, i am a touch upset with petco.... yes we all know there short comings with the knowledgebase they have... some employees are fantastic and other know nothing.. plain and simple there just inconsistent with the info you recieve..... i have learned an amazing amount of info here and Im currently working with a 20G and a 5G. I have MTS really bad so I am still learning and have to go on others opinion and suggestions... with that being said I am learning how to have and maintain a planted tank (my 20G) and I find out tonight from a member that 1/2 of the plants I purchased from petco are not aquatic. due to my lack of knowledge I questioned the info I got and did some additional research and as usual the member was spot on!!! now I have other issues with my lighting (recently learned) but I am attacking that... My issue is how can any business give false info! Just plain wrong!!!! I want to set up a 125G but i must learn first....

The positive from all this is that I met a member more than willing to help and also pointed me in the direction of who to get plants from on this site!

Sorry just needed to get this off my chest very upset with the chain store... GOD BLESS THIS SITE!!!!!!!!

really wish i had an IFS near me.....
Although i get great advice from people at petco, i always check up with the members here. Just my advice. And dont feel bad, alot of people get bad advice.

Tags
petco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com