USA vs england stocking differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom14

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I wasn't sure where to put this thread hope this is the correct place.

I've asked several question about stocking. All have said your way overstocked for my marine tank and 3 tropical tanks. All the people that answerd are american.

So I asked my English friends and they said I am stocked just right or I'm under stocked . Wanted your thoughts on this?

Marine tank: 55l
2 clownfish
1 six line wrasse

Tropical: 110l
3 angelfish
2 pearl gouramis
7 rummy nose tetras
8 corydoras
1 orange barb

Tropical: 60l
6 rainbowfish
3 bristlenose plecos

Tropical: 40l
2 rams
2 honey sunset gouramis 5cm so not sure if that the exact breed but that their size
1 glass catfish (the rest of his shoal died)
3 guppys

That's my stocking for my tanks. All tanks have aeration and all have bigger filters than they should. I do regular water changes and haven't experienced any problems in any of the tanks for months.

Hmmm...you want english folk to answer...caliban where be you?

sk3lly, Ian, who am I missing...

All of them are slightly overstocked but nothing unfeaseable. No more fish but I'd say your fine other than that. The 110 liter and the 40 liter may be the only ones that's a little too over stocked but it sounds like you can pull it off without risking the fishes health.Thanks for posting the list!

Thanks for the responses I just thought it was weird how a lot of American people said there way overstocked. Whereas a lot of English people said their ok.

the 110l sounds about right to me, the 60 seems a big overstocked, and the 40 somewhere between. all my tanks i know are overstocked. (I'm english)

Reading from a reference book it states as a general rule freshwater tropical fish should be 1 inch per 2 L of water and salt water Marine one inch per 9 L of water and no more. And I'm from England

Reading from a reference book it states as a general rule freshwater tropical fish should be 1 inch per 2 L of water and salt water Marine one inch per 9 L of water and no more. And I'm from England

yes but that rule is considered antiquated. Even by my UK friends. :)

If you got rid of 2 angels in te 110 l it would be much more appropriately stocked. I'm from us btw. I have one full grown angel in my 29 and couldn't even imagine 2 or 3 in there.

yes but that rule is considered antiquated. Even by my UK friends. :)

You could be right there and is just a rough guideline in this day and age I personally think it depends on how you run your system some are a lot better than others and if you can maintain good quality water and healthy fish then you probably can have a few more fish then those who can't keep levels up to standard.

Back
Top Bottom