Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 05:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

shawmutt...droool. Love the mobo, love the processor...and lurrve the corsair memory! busy saving for a 512mb corsair dimm. so jealous.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
It's basically the computer I currently have. Mines a little better, with a 3500+ processor, dvd dual-layer rw drive and the dvd-rom, and a sb audigy2 platinum card with 5.1 speakers. However the ram in mine, while still corsair, is the next step down, and the vid card is a 9800pro. My wife will be getting my ram and vid card, I'm taking the new stuff :P.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
So unless I want to play these games by myself online, I have to have a massive supercomputer that will calculate the physics of the swaying leaves
I have no problem playing modern games online. Unless you're serving the game in peer to peer environment over the internet, you don't need a supercomputer for most games. Most of the games I have, the graphical settings on one players machine are independent of all the other's players. There are a couple where certain items have to match (ie realistic fog, so that all players are affected by it), but not many that I know of.

The reason for the processor and video requirements are so high on newer games is because of the graphics rendering the machine has to do, not because of the physics of games. The physics haven't changed; games still use the same math to determine collision detection as games a few years ago did. The new bells and whistles in modern games are almost all graphical needing more "power" to let corpses fall realistically (there's not nearly as much math as you would think in that, it's more parent-child object control than anything else) and to make more realistic textures over top of higher detail wire frames.

Unless you're saying that a p3 933 Mhz is closer to a supercomputer than a 1.8 Ghz AMD...

Did you ever find out what the video card was (SE or XT)?

I'm not upgrading my pc until I can't play the games I want anymore. And I do have standards as far as what I'll accept graphically. But I've found that running clean and with a good video card makes up for not having a processor that's 3 times faster than what I currently have.

Most current applications (games included) don't even come close to making use of the processors that are currently out on the market. Not too many operating systems use much of that 2Gb of hypersonic RAM you have installed. And that sound card that can play 10,000 sounds at once; yeah, because I want to hear 10,000 sounds, all at once. It's like watching a 100 year old man drive a Lamborghini on the freeway. You know he won't go faster than 50 mph. He won't push the machine to it's limits. Such is most apps.

The only exception is with video cards and the reason is because graphics (not physics) are getting more and more detailed and require faster processors to render more details in a believable (animation-wise) fashion.

Just so you know I don't meet the required (let alone recommended) requirements for the following games. Links go to game homepage or screenshots so you can see the graphics I'm talking about.

Star Wars Battlefront
Dawn of War
Battle for Middle Earth

There are more, but I don't have time to list them all (at work), but I run the above at between 90-100% of graphics options cranked with no problems and without a supercomputer.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

2000+ means your AMD proccessor is the equivilant to a 2Ghz intel equivilant I believe.

Also, Video card. Is your Mobo's AGP slot 4x, or is it 4x/8x universal?

If its a universal, then just about anything you stick in it will work [ providing you have an necisacary power from the PSU ].

However, if its JUST a 4x slot [like my mobo] then you need to look for a AGP card thats 4x/8x and not just 8x [some cards out today only run on 8x slots]

So basicly, providing you have the right wattage in your CPU, and it produces a decent number of amps on the 12v and 3v rails...Then yes, your computer could handle a new video card.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think my problem with MOH Pacific Assault was that my Windows Updater was running in the background during a particularly graphics-intense scene - it worked fine when I tried it yesterday, though I'm not really enamored with the game. :|

How do I turn off all the crap running in the background? I can't remember where I can select that stuff. There's seriously like 40 processes running at any given time - doing Lord knows what.

I just reset the machine so I don't have any spyware or adware. I really do need to keep it cleaner than I have been.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[quote="deli_conker"]btw, how do you like this game? This is an online game, correct?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Battle for Middle Earth [ Build on the SAGE 2.0 Engine ] has a extensive single player campaign, as well as online play.

As for shutting down uneededs..

Start-Run-MSCONFIG

Click the startup tab, then start unchecking boxes of programs you're sure you don't need running at startup. Things you don't need on startup are thing such as media players like Quicktime and Winamp, Therea re many other things that arn't required....Just use common sense.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
my Windows Updater was running in the background during a particularly graphics-intense scene
That will do it. I don't let my computer automate anything. I'll update whenever I feel like it. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Start-Run-MSCONFIG

Click the startup tab, then start unchecking boxes of programs you're sure you don't need running at startup. Things you don't need on startup are thing such as media players like Quicktime and Winamp, Therea re many other things that arn't required....
Yeah. What he said. This will work unless you are running windows 2000 and NT. You have to do it a different way if that's the case. A lot of the names you'll run into might confuse you. Check the path name (ie where the executable is located) to give you some insight. For instance, if a program named rupdt.exe (just made this up, don't look for it for real) is listed, and it lives in a folder named Real Media, chances are it's not needed to run the pc. If in doubt, don't uncheck it and if you want to experiment, only uncheck one box at a time, reboot, and make sure everything you need is working.

I haven't spent enough time playing BfME so I don't want to comment too much on it just yet. So far it's cool though.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=324&dPage=1

not sure if I posted this yet, but this is the best guide I've found and it's easy to follow. I use this on all my computers.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
my Windows Updater was running in the background during a particularly graphics-intense scene
That will do it. I don't let my computer automate anything. I'll update whenever I feel like it. Thank you.

And, no offense, but thats why we have massive viral epidemics in windows systems like all the worms that have made news recently. Windows updates provides updates that protect you from the exploits the virus/worm uses.

Because people don't patch/patch as often as they should.

So, the best protection, is to let Windows update automaticly so it can grab patches soon as their ready. You can set it to do it at 3 or 4 in the morning so it dosn't interfere

Tags
video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com