Video Card Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deli_conker said:
My point is that if you are behind a firewall or have otherwise closed all ports, then NOTHING can just enter your pc.

And my point is that most users are NOT behind firewalls and have NOT taken the steps to manually close ports that are open by default (nor would most even know how). Best Practices dictate that your operating system should be maintained with all current patches and service packs. I'm going to leave it at that.

But the patches still come out after the exploit has been used (usually). Patching (while a good practice for most) still allows foreign software to probe your pc. Makes more sense to not let any of the bad bugs inside in the first place.

Looky Here, It's A Free Firewall!!!

Any "official" word back from newegg?

I fully agree with you about "proper" protection. I'm not disagreeing with what's the best full route. Simply stating that many users see the terms "router, firewall, ports, probes!" and get chest pains. Most, however, can handle clicking on "Windows Update - Install" You and I both know thats not a 100% guaruntee against anything... but it at least covers the basics.

As far as newegg, I haven't heard anything yet. But you are right that most 8x cards will slow themselves down to work in a 4x slot. I'm just debating now if I want the 9600 or the 9800... 8O

I don't know, I'm auto-updating EVERYTHING Microsoft puts out there. I'm also running this "Ad-Aware" program that alerts me every time something changes on my machine. No changes to the registry without MY say-so - I like that. It catches and cleans every piece of spyware and won't allow anything to happen without alerting me first. I love it. They're gonna want $30 in 30 days and I think I'm actually gonna give it to them - my machine is smooth, clean, and fast as heckfire right now and I intend to keep it that way.

BillyZ said:
Simply stating that many users see the terms "router, firewall, ports, probes! and get chest pains."
Very true. But to paraphrase maddox, "Computers aren't supposed to be easy..."

I'm still going to write my own firewall. I'm in the planning stage right now as far as what I want it to do and how I think I should approach those challenges. I'm not a programmer by trade and only do it recreationally so it should be interesting.

Clown Monarch said:
my machine is smooth, clean, and fast as heckfire right now and I intend to keep it that way.
The cleaner you keep it, the faster it will go. Like I said, I don't meet the minimum req's on most games I play and still have no problems playing them.

Bah. I tell ya what. I re-format my computer every so often due to performance issues and junk. This last time I did it, the first piece of aftermarket software installed was pop up stopper and another highly rated security program. I then updated windows from their website and have had all security measures turned on full security since. Although I dont get popups, and homepage hijackers, My computer is now running worse than it ever has. It locks up all the time and requires ten reboots a day, and is just generally unreliable. Im going back to running no extra software that isnt required to run and maybe a popup blocker. Thats it. I just want my freakin computer back. Since my last reformat, it has only lasted 3 months before it started acting goofy. It used to last a good 6 months to a year before I felt like I needed to reformat due to performance. I dont keep any valuable information on it so Im going lean once again.

it should, the detail specifics on requirements actually even list a 4x, 4x/8x, or 8x AGP card slot required.

RADEON™ 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or higher with AGP 8X (0.8v), 4X (1.5V) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8X/4X)
128MB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive

Good call on the 9800 PRO btw. You'll be impressed. Mine really screams and I cant imagine needing to replace it for a long time. I can only use mine on 2X AGP with my little P3 1000 and it still screams. The new computer shopuld really let it do its thing. Good luck.

hmm, I may need a bigger power supply - I didn't even think of that. I've got a 250w supply right now. That means a new case... jeez.

I don't want this to snowball any further.

The 9600 doesn't have the additional power supply connection requirement. You shouldn't have to worry :wink:

youronlysin said:
Im going back to running no extra software that isnt required to run and maybe a popup blocker. Thats it. I just want my freakin computer back. Since my last reformat, it has only lasted 3 months before it started acting goofy. It used to last a good 6 months to a year before I felt like I needed to reformat due to performance. I dont keep any valuable information on it so Im going lean once again.
Just use firefox. Popup blocking is part of browser functionality. Not to mention the ability to "tab browse". Plus the fact that most "bad things" are written for internet explorer and don't work on firefox (or safari, or opera, or etc.). I always run multiple drives in my pc's. System on one, data on others. This allows me to reinstall without losing anything (aside from registry information from installed programs). PC runs faster too.

Oh yeah, get a firewall too. I posted a link to a free one earlier in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom