Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Video Card Help!

I got my old computer working but the video card needs an upgrade - it's having trouble with half the new games.

The system is a 1.8 ghz AMD. I don't know exactly what mothercard I have but according to my store receipt it's a "2000+" - whatever that means. The video card is not integrated, thank God, but is a Radeon 9000 64meg 4x AGP.

What is the "4x" part? Can I use a newer card that's "8x" or "4x/8x"?

Can I buy a 256meg card? What are my constraints here?

It also has 2 RAM slots that have 2x256 in there. Can I put 2x512 in?

Can I upgrade the processor too? How much?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
So...

you want to buy a video card, RAM, and a processor

...ok, as long as you don't want a new computer

If I were going to go through all that trouble, I would go ahead and buy a new mobo to go with those new parts. I believe you can just use your old parts and put these new parts in and make it all work. I would, however, buy a quality power supply, 400-450W, to make sure you have enough juice for all your new parts.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate.

The computer works good except for certain games. Maybe I'll just upgrade the video card in the meantime...

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try a 9800 Pro.. it should complement the rest of the system nicely. Bear in mind most graphics cards need their own connection to the power supply now.

It's getting to the point where older systems are really starting to struggle with the latest games, and a major overhaul is the only solution.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #5

I don't know what games you are trying to play, but a radeon 9000 should be able to handle mid range graphic games.
Like atari said, the 9800 is a good one, but its going to cost you alot. ($350 US) Another cheaper alternative would be to get a nvidia geforce fx 5700. They are about half the price and are decent for high quality games. Make sure to get one with 256 megs of ram. You should be able to add more memory to your system. If you have 512 in there now total, you shouldn't be running into other problems. I'd say just search up on www.pricewatch.com for video cards. The fx series by nvidia are good, just make sure you get the 5700 or above based on your budget.
HTH
Stewie

Old 03-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I don't think its the video card (unless it's the 9600 SE which I've heard is the "value" version). I have a 9600 XT on a p3 933 512 Mb, and it smokes "modern" games. In all honesty, I would see what programs are running in the background on your machine, kill the ones that aren't required for gaming and then see how the games perform.

I would also check to see what resolution you are playing the games in. I know it "sounds cool" to play in the highest resolution, but you should let monitor size be your guide there. Playing a game in 1800x1600 on a 17" monitor doesn't make the game look better, it makes all the "cool graphics" look smaller. Playing in higher resolutions also taxes the cards performance. If you have a large monitor where the graphics look good at a high resolution, then go ahead and do it, but if not, then turn it down.

I would also check some of the other graphic detail settings from within the game. I always check all of them out to see what they are like. Well, I usually skip the low settings but I'll test the medium, high, and uber high settings. Some of the games I have the only difference between medium and high is something small that I don't bother to enable it. It's all personal preference though. If you have to see leaves on nearby trees swaying gently to and fro from the shockwaves coming out of your chain gun while laying down cover fire for the rest of the team, well, that's your perogative. I don't bother with swaying leaves.

I'm not against buying new hardware. Who doesn't like putting in that new video card and playing games on it to see what it can do? I just can't see a reason (for me at least) to "keep up with the jones's". If you have the time and money to buy the next great thing every time one is released then by all means, indulge. But my experience has taught me that keeping my OS clean makes up for not having the latest greatest hardware available.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Oh yeah. You can use an 8x card in a 4x agp slot. That's what I'm doing now. It will just slow down to the 4x speed. This is port speed and not card speed. Basically it's a measure of how fast information can move from the card to the motherboard and has very little to do with the processing that happens on either side.

Your motherboard determines how much ram can go into a slot. Most modern boards support large amounts of RAM.

One thing that I've always told people looking to build or upgrade is that your pc is only as fast as the slowest component. Having 2 Gb of RAM won't help you if you're running an old 3DFx card. Find out what's slowing you down (hardware or software) and start from there.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Believe me, Deli, I HATE keeping up with the Joneses. I remember playing the original Air Warrior when Gamestorm was around. Then it was Team Fortress. These were GREAT online games with simplistic graphics. I stress playability over graphics EVERY day of the week and twice on Sunday and those games were great then, would be great now, and great 100 years from now. To give you an idea of how much I care about graphics, I have a Commodore 64 emulator on my machine so I can play M.U.L.E.

Of course I don't get to choose what the rest of the herd does. Most of the people playing these types of online wargames are teenagers I would imagine and get all worked up with "awesome graphics". Who cares if the game plays like crap as long as it looks cool?

So unless I want to play these games by myself online, I have to have a massive supercomputer that will calculate the physics of the swaying leaves

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 03-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Erik_115

i just want to say this i want the new NVIDIA car its like the 6000+ you can play Doom 3 with it

it makes me drool when i see it

Old 03-09-2005, 04:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I just bought a new computer for my wife (well, the parts, I have to put it together) for a little over $1000. It's everything but the keyboard/mouse and software, which I already have. Here's what I got:

Quote:
1 Linkworld Black/Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with 400W power supply, Model "A319-C2628-P4" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16811164006
$40.00

3 Vantec "Stealth" Double Ball Bearing Case fan, Model "SF6025L"
Item# N82E16811999601
$6.55

1 ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813131510
$135.00

1 ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, AGP 8X, Model "N6600GT/TD/128" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16814121195
$230.00

1 AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor - Retail
Item# N82E16819103501
$159.00

2 CORSAIR XMS, Xtra-Low Latency 2-2-2-5, 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 w/ Platinum Heat Spreader, Model CMX512-320LPT - Retail
Item# N82E16820145521
$127.33

1 Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only
Item# N82E16822144122
$ 60.00

1 KDS XF-7BK 17" Xtreme Flat CRT Monitor ‚ÄďRETAIL
Item# N82E16824155031
$108.95

1 SONY 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1613, OEM
Item# N82E16827101125
$ 25.00

1 Logitech X-230 2.1 Black Speaker System -OEM
Item# N82E16836121123
$35.00

Subtotal: $ 1,065.31
Tax: $.00
Shipping & Handling: $82.82
Grand Total: $ 1,148.13

Closed Thread

Tags
video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com