Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Waaah! My Betta died!

And it was all my fault.
He was in a bath of salt and AQ Quick Cure (new regiment because the many different parasites these guys had) while I was cleaning his tank. A a crisis arose with my daughter's tank. Her fish arrived early and I find that my son had contaminated the tank with sandalwood essence oil (and after all her hard work cycling it!)! 6 hours later after cleansing everything thoroughly and buying a better filter, I went back to the business of feeding and water changes. My daughter blames where we got them. Allrighty..then. I'll ask her why later.
As soon as something weird happened I should have just put him back in his tank and re-scheduled his appointment. I wasn't all that keen on switching meds, but was told that the version I had is not always good for entrenched cases, especially without heat. His tank was only 76 because of the undertank heat provided by a reptile pad. No where in town haas the little heaters ..still! A new situation and then leaving him alone..that is all on me. I was careless.
You don't leave the baby in the bath alone because your bacon caught fire!
He was arched, white-eyed. flared and stiff at the gallon jar bottom. Using both reptile recessucitation methods and small animal cpr for 45 minutes (you're supposed to try a max of 30 for reptile revival). i guess I just didn't want to se him go. Though I said he was ugly a lot, he was beginning to blossom out to be very lovely. And all his cute tricks! I never saw better on Amazing animals!*gets hanky* He did revive, but one eye was cloudy and he was swimming really weird. He was breathing hard too. When he lost color and sank a second time....I helped him a little, then let him go. reptile revival techniques are harsh and I wouldn't subject him to it again, nor did I have the heart to.. *sniff* I made an imprint on my finest ricepaper, ,wrapped his little corpse in a sheet of dried seaweed and then Blackbeard, the Christmasfish; was laid at rest beneath the forget-me-nots at 7:59PST.
Goodbye... cute, clever, amusing fishy-companion.
Now if you'll excuse me, I feel a little sick. I think I am going to mix a hot toddy.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Old 01-24-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So sorry, Christmasfish.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Sorry about your loss
Old 01-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry for your loss, Christmasfish. I sure know what it feels like.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh bummer Poor lil guy

I'm afraid to ask, but...I need to know...what was your son doing with sandlewood oil and your daughter's fishtank?!

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry for your loss.
Quote:
No where in town haas the little heaters ..still!
Mini heaters can be found on eBay--I just purchased a couple Thermal Mini 6" Compact Heater 25watt from an eBay store, Aquarium and Pond Store. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you if it's any good, but I did some research on-line and it looks like a good one, plus even with shipping, it was a good deal. I wanted a small heater for a desk tank for a future betta and for a QT tank. I hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2004, 05:05 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
I'm sorry for your loss.
Quote:
No where in town haas the little heaters ..still!
Mini heaters can be found on eBay--I just purchased a couple Thermal Mini 6" Compact Heater 25watt from an eBay store, Aquarium and Pond Store. I haven't received it yet, so I can't tell you if it's any good, but I did some research on-line and it looks like a good one, plus even with shipping, it was a good deal. I wanted a small heater for a desk tank for a future betta and for a QT tank. I hope this helps.
We are in a cold snap locally, even had a blizzard! Most small heater under 50 watts were snaped up by surprised and deserate fish owners.
The Thermal is great! That is the one that is in all our minitanks! It doesn't allow much variance once you stablize the temp. It stays at a solid temp, all the fish that have one are enjoying a comfy 80-82(the tank light can make a temporary variance). I drove out of town today to a town 30 miles away and bought some(all they had). E-bay type shipments can take too long and possibly get damaged in transit. I want to visually inspect it because the package come open easily causing it to drop.
Quote:
I'm afraid to ask, but...I need to know...what was your son doing with sandlewood oil and your daughter's fishtank?!
He was using it like cologne (bleh!) and had snuck in her room and played around with the decorations. Since he had it head to toe, he tainted the water....
I could smell it and see an oily film. I asked had he messeed with it or put anything in it. "no" Then admittance to moving something inside.
~sigh~ Needless to say sister is still mad, had banished him from using her computer (ouch-that is major for him) and caling him a "fishkiller".
Hopefully the battle dies down tomorrow.
I still have my gouramis and my new female betta, but they are not as interactive. And they don't know 7 tricks that are performed sans food.
uhwah, now I am sad again. I didn't even think I liked it!

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Closed Thread

Tags
betta, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com