Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
one of the walmarts where i live does not carry cichlids anymore... wonder why? in their golfish and koi tanks, there are more dead than alive, and none of the other walmarts carry fish around here anymore. Its no wonder they dont, i went there once and it took 30 minutes of waiting to get somebody to come help, and when they did, it was a guy that worked in lawn and garden who had no clue what anything was... they had guppies, koi, and mollies in the same tank, asked for a molly, he started to catch a koi... at least petsmart employees have a general idea what each fish is, or a picture to tell the difference

mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
i know wat ya mean i was trying to do my job going to garden center to grab a grill to assemble for a customer when i overheard a sales associate and customer arguing he had given her one of those cleaner fish when she was asking for a guppy

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
lol, i thought everybody knew the difference between a guppy and a pleco lol
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to krap101
In their defense, at least they gave you the 24 hours to get the chlorine out of the water :P. Well that's about it... Chlorine would kill the fish way faster than ammonia, and as in every other rant thread I've replied to, I had to bring forth the problem isn't with the store, but it's with the consumer.
#1 you can not buy.
#2 99% (maybe I'm exaggerating, but it seems accurate) of Americans and most other developed countries want everything now. That is the basis of capitalism... basically...
#3, They don't like to be told something they don't like. If one store tells you to wait a month before adding fish, they will either. (this goes along with #2#
A. give up on the fish or
B. buy somewhere that doesn't make them wait
#4, people who buy fish from Wal Mart (no offense) generally don't know what they're doing. I bought my first fish tank (a five gallon set) from Wal Mart, my fish died, (I was around 7-8ish) and gave up. Started up around 5 years later, and actually know something about fish :P.
#5, (I'm not totally sure about this one) But Wal Mart doesn't have to pay for fish they kill. They count them, and tell the distributor, who adds them to the next order. And they buy in such quantity, that it is basically nothing to them.
#6, Wal Mart doesn't make money off fish, but the tanks, air pumps, filters, food, etc.

I could add another 14 and end at an even 20, but...
#1 you probably wouldn't want to read it
#2 I want to go to bed... :P
~ Danny
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

walmart reeally shouldnt even be a fish store in my opinion.
fishmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't even get myself to even go near the walmart fish section anymore...
Love pets?
A fun pet community
Talon242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
I went by one yesterday and it was REALLY sad. The aquariums had no sand/gravel, no decorations and the was was filthy! I looked at the poor bettas in their tiny dishes, and nasty water. I wanted to buy all of them to try and "save" them, but I figured it would be more trouble than it was worth. It looked like all of the males gills were falling apart from the inside, and they looked SO sad! I really, really hate animal cruelty of any kind, even kids ripping spiders legs off (although I pretty much just did it with my fish, and not cycling the tank, lesson learned!). My "local" PetSmart has a guy working there who knows what he is talking about. He helped me for about 2 hours yesterday finding stuff to take care of the tanks, and NOT trying to get me to buy a bunch of unnessary junk. He was even bringing stuff out of their backroom to show me how they do pwc's and stuff. I will keep going there. He also knew about all the different kind of fish and how big they would get, and who would get along. When my 20G gets done cycling I am either going to get some dwarf fish of some kind or some guppies. I was thinking about these certain goldfish but they get HUGE! I will probably end up getting some bettas too lol!
dkpate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wow I didn't know Walmart still sold live fish. I had hoped that their poor quality and terrible standards would have made them just do away with the section. Once I realized how deplorable their treatment and selection (not to mention the short life span of animals purchased from there) I stopped buying from them... I just assumed everyone else did too.

I guess I was wrong. I am not even remotely surprised that their employees aren't trained to understand the differences between each type of pet. They are understaffed and their sales do not revolve around quality. Regardless, whomever said it first in this thread, I agree: don't buy from Walmart! =\
29 gal- freshwater. 4 cherry barbs, 4 pepper cory cats, and an upsidedown catfish. <3
AAPE for Arizona | Aquatic Gardens in AZ | How I pay for MTS
Satrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
I got so mad when some asked about the cichlids, and they said they were sw fish. I just can't get over tht lol.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
ya dont ever buy fish from wal-mart! not to hate on the wallyworld i love to shop there for other items but no my animals. last time i walked over to the fish area there was ALOT dead, there was nothing in the tank (not even a substrate! just fish) it was really poorly run. i would only trust a fish place when buying my fish....

Planted tank newbie!

My Bengal cat loves my fish as much as I do!
ahollland92690 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com