Walmart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So last night I was talking to a friend at work about fish. She wants to get her boyfriend a small tank for Christmas and was asking me for advice. She told me her last attempt at fishkeeping failed miserably. Apparently she went to walmart and saw the bettas, but didn't know anything about them. The guy working the fish section set her up with TWO bettas and ONE small bowl. So she was shocked when they tore each other apart. He told her they would do well together. I think this may be the worst advice I ever heard given about fish. Needless to say I set her straight, warned her about impulse buys, and I'm helping her shop for a tank and helping her set it up and cycle it. Not to mention showing her the very good LFS in town. And once again I am tempted to plaster information about the fish all over walmart's tanks. But at least I get to bring someone into the hobby with good information.

Good for you for helping a friend out with the right info! For a small tank I think a fifteen gal would be a great first tank or maybe a 20 gal long. :) with anything smaller it's so easy to overstock or get fish that won't do well in a smaller tank.

We talked about maybe a 10, perhaps 15. I'm going to set her up with some of my guppy fry, by the time she gets it up and cycled they should be mostly grown.

Alyxx said:
We talked about maybe a 10, perhaps 15. I'm going to set her up with some of my guppy fry, by the time she gets it up and cycled they should be mostly grown.

And multiplying!! Lol

I think that is the worst fish advice anyone anywhere has given about any fish...(the part about the two bettas)
But good job helping a friend. Did you refer her to AA?

Cornstar said:
I'm always curious. If Bettas can not be together, how do they breed?

You put a male and a female together strictly for breeding, and then take her out after she drops her eggs. They don't get along when they aren't breeding...

Bettababe1011 said:
I think that is the worst fish advice anyone anywhere has given about any fish...(the part about the two bettas)
But good job helping a friend. Did you refer her to AA?

I plan on it once we get together to start the tank. And I agree, that is pretty much the worst advice I've heard either, even beats hearing someone say 7 or 8 fish will be "fine" in one if those little 1.5 gallon deathtraps. I have one, but it is used for medicine dips and transitioning plants to brackish water only. Aghhhhh how I want to lecture Walmart employees in the pet section. I force myself to walk away whenever I'm over there when one of them is around the tanks, for fear of what I may do or say if one of them asks if I need a fish.

Back
Top Bottom