Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll jump in here-

As far as those who "can't afford" or "don't have the time"- reminds me of those with dogs covered in fleas, have heartworms, and complain about the cost if heartworm treatment (and flea treatment, and....).

Responsible pet ownership, regardless if dog, cat, ferret, hamster, lizard, snake, fish or otherwise is still responsible pet ownership. There are certain needs and expenses that WILL come along, but good practices and upkeep will minimize those.

As far ad grammar/spelling/etc: we have folks from all sorts of backgrounds here, from highly-educated to near-3rd worlders. Some who have little background or skills with English, yet we can understand those difficulties and deal with them. The problem comes when people with no self respect or respect for others make no attempt at all.

I will note, however, that the iPhone users play a love/hate battle with their devices that want to autocorrect a lot of words that are actually correct, and we don always catch it!

Now- I will add my own rant/pet peeve- the constant threads of unhealthy/dying fish by PetsMart/Petco/other retailer customers who (supposedly under instructions from helpful employee of said company):
"I set up my tank and let the water circulate for 15 minutes before I dumped the fish in (with a sad list of often incompatible and way over-sized over the tank new inhabitants). Fish did great fir a day, then the fish started acting funny/gasping for breath/got spots/fuzz/et-al and then just died for no reason".

Our response- read these posts/articles on fishless cycling, or fish-in cycling.

And so often some excuse fir not being able to follow any of the directions.

Water changes? Every day? But....

Arrrgghhhh!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the HTC EVO and use the app as well. The auto correct and touchscreen keypad can be irritating. But over time you customize it and can add words to the dictionary or turn off the auto correct. My husband is forever posting crazy things to Facebook because he doesn't proofread before he posts. Proofreading and editing I am on my EVO right now actually.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Auto-correct on an iPhone is so annoying, you have no idea. I constantly switch between texting and going on the forums, and for some reason GBR and have are always auto-correcting each other whenever I type them into have or GBR! Quite annoying and you cannot seem to turn off the feature on the phone, grr.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpeckj View Post
Am tired of all the experts on here pipping up in threads saying your tank isn't big enough for your tank. All the original poster was asking is do I need water in a fish tank.. Sarcasm....

In grade school I did a science fair project on fish growth rate vs. Living space. I had three tanks of goldfish 1 gal, 5 gal, and 10gal tanks were used. Five fish per. I weighed the fish, down to grams, every other day. What I found is that in the largest tank they did in fact grow faster and larger. So I am a believer that a fish will grow to a rate that matches it's living space. Most ppl on here like myself know a blue hippo isn't supposed to go in a 65 I do but like most ppl here plan to upgrade tank or give it new home oneday.
Truth is...most people can't upgrade because they can't afford to, don't have the room, don't have the time, or some other big factors.

Grade school project? As in middle school?

Some fish don't stop growing regardless of tank size. A pleco will not stop growing to its inevitable size because it's in a small tank. That's called stunting a fish, which isn't good for the fish at all.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997
Auto-correct on an iPhone is so annoying, you have no idea. I constantly switch between texting and going on the forums, and for some reason GBR and have are always auto-correcting each other whenever I type them into have or GBR! Quite annoying and you cannot seem to turn off the feature on the phone, grr.
You can turn off auto correct! It is in the settings. The unfortunate reality for me - my typing without autocorrect is even worse!!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt4Christ View Post
You can turn off auto correct! It is in the settings. The unfortunate reality for me - my typing without autocorrect is even worse!!!!!
Aha I see I see! Thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt4Christ View Post
Me too, I love auto-correct!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a thought about the app/smartphone/iphone debate. Auto correct is annoying, and touch screens (mine especially) can be difficult. With people who don't text much I don't see this as a problem, but the bad grammar, and abbreviated words may be habit more than anything. I don't use the text abbreviations when I am texting, but I do shorten my sentences. If I can't say it in about 8-9 words, I usually don't text it, I just call. The few time I have tried to post from the app I found myself writing really short sentences out of habit, just because I was using my phone. Maybe those who text a lot and use text abbreviations do it out of habit when they use the app.

Doesn't change how frustrating it may be, and and the arguments that they should put the effort in. Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #99
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
Truth is...most people can't upgrade because they can't afford to, don't have the room, don't have the time, or some other big factors.

Grade school project? As in middle school?

Some fish don't stop growing regardless of tank size. A pleco will not stop growing to its inevitable size because it's in a small tank. That's called stunting a fish, which isn't good for the fish at all.
I think the biggest underlying issue is the way that people word their concern. It's sometimes a total 'freakout' moment with a 'OMGZ JOO BETTA GET A GINORMOUS TANK ASAPSTATOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' type response.

Of course, knowing many posters here will lead one to understand that the people are just concerned for the well being of the fish, but I could see how someone new could take it as an elitist overreaction.

I think it's important to mention the tank size issue, but also take time to say something nice and make the person feel welcome as well.

I'll give an example that I just came across recently. I recently joined a bird forum, since we have a room full of parrots now, and I asked a behavioral question about the pair of quaker parrots that I have.

I asked if the bonded breeding pair of quakers that we recently bought would ever warm up to us, or if there was anything we could do to make them more social.

One of the responses to my thread was literally "Omg, you bought a breeding pair, you cannot separate them. You should've thought twice about buying a breeding pair yadda yadda yadda"

The person was obviously jumping to conclusions with my post, and in the lack of response in general just turned me off from that forum completely.

So I definitely understand where some people are coming from.

( for reference, New Quaker Pair - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community , and the picture response was my girlfriend who happened to come across the forum as well and decided to intervene lol)
Old 10-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

What really gets me as far as grammar is concerned is punctuation abuse, rather than omission.

what am i supposed to do??????????????? My fish are dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why. The twenty question marks annoy me more than the capitalization issue.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com