Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor6699
I would have to agree with this thread for the most part.....but the one problem I have is that some of the people that are on this thread are young. One person that I helped the other day was complaining that they have been trying to get their parents to buy the right things for their tank but wouldn't. We have to remember this is an open blog and we attract all ages and races, not everyone is old enough or even from the U.S. so we have to work together and try and help out who we can. If a person don't want your advice just quit talking to them.
So right! Getting mad or angry at the younger crowd isn't going to keep them in this hobby. Yes some of them still will grossly overstock their tanks, ect. I gave a 10 gal away to a co-workers son because they are short on funds and the kid was thrilled with the tank. He's 10 years old and no's next to nothing about fish keeping. Of course he is going to believe someone from a LFS! I'm sure his first thought is not getting on the computer looking for a site like this. When I and my sibblings were growing up we learned from our parents the caring of a pet, the right way...if a person isn't taught and shown how to care for a pet properly more than likely they won't in later years.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there a way to put a automatic corrector on the Iphone app??

Because on the Iphone itself, when you are french the corrector is in french to...

I'm in the same oponion for fish but for language, without corrector and on an Iphone with this small keyboard, i understand that sometimes theres some errors!

But for youth that just cut word and put abbreviation i agree!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean

So right! Getting mad or angry at the younger crowd isn't going to keep them in this hobby. Yes some of them still will grossly overstock their tanks, ect. I gave a 10 gal away to a co-workers son because they are short on funds and the kid was thrilled with the tank. He's 10 years old and no's next to nothing about fish keeping. Of course he is going to believe someone from a LFS! I'm sure his first thought is not getting on the computer looking for a site like this. When I and my sibblings were growing up we learned from our parents the caring of a pet, the right way...if a person isn't taught and shown how to care for a pet properly more than likely they won't in later years.
You're talking about minors and they have parents for a reason. It's the same as getting your daughter/son a pony or dog for Christmas that then either lives in the garage or is abandoned by February.
Anyone that treats animals like things should be considered a criminal and treated as such and in a kid's case that's the parents that are liable, as bad as it sounds!

I mean come on, I take a 900 page book to the lfs every time I go there...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausfish

You're talking about minors and they have parents for a reason. It's the same as getting your daughter/son a pony or dog for Christmas that then either lives in the garage or is abandoned by February.
Anyone that treats animals like things should be considered a criminal and treated as such and in a kid's case that's the parents that are liable, as bad as it sounds!

I mean come on, I take a 900 page book to the lfs every time I go there...
Oh yeah!!!

100% with that!!

Animals did'nt choose anything so if you cannot do the right thing for them don't adopt any!!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had fish for over 40 years. Yes my spelling and punctuation are bad. Sorry some have been offended by it. BYE
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess I really haven't seen the grammar problems you guys are speaking of.

Is that really the issue?

People come here because they have discovered that they don't know what they are doing and they want help, but sometimes there is a lot of confusion. OR they came here and then discovered that they may have a problem and they want help.

And also, there is never just one answer to every problem. That is obvious.

I was one of those people who was clueless about cycling a tank before putting fish in it. I didn't get the info of plopping the fish in after 24 hours of running from a young kid at a big box chain, but a reputable independent fish store that has been in business for 30+ years.

That is even more concerning. (and actually the young girl at our local big box is more educated than this guy who has been in biz for 30 years - she's been very helpful...)

Being that I own holistic pet boutiques and am quite focused on knowing and understanding how to handle and feed dogs and cats properly - and educating regarding proper (mammal) pet care, I was inclined to trust another independent pet store w/o question. I came here to share my interest in my new pets (fish) with others and discovered that *holy cow*, I never realized that my tanks would require this much care. IMHO almost as much care as my kitties and dogs do! And anyone I asked personally who has tanks, didn't know what I have discovered here either. I have friends and family who have tanks and no one told me about the *cycle*, or about the cleaning, or about the sensitivities of certain fish, or that some are more dirty than others - and this fish needs this kind of environment that is specific to its needs... etc.

And also too, I have 6 books now on aquariums. There is conflicting information from book to book on fish, tank set up, cleaning, etc. It can be confusing to the new fish keeper as well as to the experienced.

AND there is conflicting information on this site from many people.

I am figuring that something tweaked the thread starter off over a period of time to encourage the rant.

Regardless, some people were (are) just clueless when coming here. If they are coming here for help, they are trying to do something to make their tank(s) better.

Help them or not - they are here for a reason and that IS to help their fish.

That is how I look at my customers. They're trying. Regardless of their means or ability, they're trying to do the best they can with what they have.

Janelle

PS - I did spell check. Should be good.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

ashleynicole, great post.

I don't really have anything to add to it. You hit my personal faves.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What happened to being tolerant and repectful of your peers....no matter what their age is? I'm not going to add fuel to the fire but everyone needs to lighten up!! I happen to like AA and it's been very helpful, but now having seconds thought about it.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
ashleynicole, great post.

I don't really have anything to add to it. You hit my personal faves.
ROFL, I really started something here. I will have to read the rest of the responses when I get home, but it is nice to know that I am not alone in these thoughts. I think this is a good thread to vent those feelings.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to agree with jmpgop... We come here (online) looking for help and find a lot of opinions and a lot of angry people.

I also started out rather clueless when I got my first tank, and I DID do research before getting it. My wife and I do research before any major purchase. We found lots and lots of information online that supported the idea that keeping fish is easy, cheap and nearly maintenance free. Then we got the fish. Tank looked good when we brought it home (we bought a used established tank from a local classifieds ad). We continued to do research, and stumbled upon forums. I have never been treated so badly in my life as I was by the first fish forum I joined.

Not too long after we got the tank, and found the forum, my wife had a couple medical emergencies. We are students and live on a fixed budget. The medical emergencies drained all we had left, and we had to live off charity for three months till the next set of student loans. During that time I was told multiple times what a horrible person I was for not owning a proper test kit. I personally find the idea that I should place the well being of my fish over that of my wife offensive and ridiculous. And yes I let those people know what my situation was. They didn't care.

I also find it funny that each online forum/community has their personal favorite equipment or setup that is "the only way to go". I appreciate seeing people who ask the question "why?". Certainly if you are going to ask a question, you should have an open mind and listen to the answer. We should just make sure that when we answer we don't expect people to follow our advice blindly. Give people reasons they can relate to and understand and they will be a lot more likely to follow the advice given.

I am sure this has been as much of a ramble as anything. I probably shouldn't be typing this early in the morning (didn't sleep much last night). I agree that people have a personal responsibility for the animals they keep, and that they should be ready and willing to take care of them. I also think we need to keep things in perspective.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com