Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean
What happened to being tolerant and repectful of your peers....no matter what their age is? I'm not going to add fuel to the fire but everyone needs to lighten up!! I happen to like AA and it's been very helpful, but now having seconds thought about it.
Don't take this thread too serious, the creator gave it this title for a reason. At the end of the day moat people always try to help and do their best to be supportive.

It's still true though that some people that ask for advice don't want to hear the answers but that's life I guess

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

To be fair , I did post 'warning rant' as the title of this thread. So anyone who is offended, realize it was a vent, and if you don't agree with the opinions expressed here, then you have that right.

As for life emergencies, of course our families come first and we have to do the best we can in tough financial situations. I am talking about people who don't have the funds to begin with to invest in this hobby.

Most of the members on this site provide information and advice in a very polite and respectful way. It is when people refuse to listen to the same opinion from several experienced people on the board that I begin to wonder why they would even bother to ask for advice if they aren't going to listen to 10 people telling them the same thing.

And as far as grammar and punctuation are concerned. I was not talking about those with English as a second language or normal typos and mispelled words. I am talking about shortening you to 'u' and purposefully mispelling things like - "wut shud I du, al my fish r ded,"

I understand that there are younger people here as well. Again, I feel the parents are responsible. My kids assist in the care of all of our animals, however i am ultimately responsible. For those kids, it would be just like the parents that get their kids a dog or puppy and dont get it shot or take it to the vet. I grew up dirt poor and was given kitten after kitten just to watch them run away or die. I went to college and now my kids have pets they can bond with and learn to care for properly.

The people here on this board offer excellent advice. I made all the classic newbie mistakes, but I listened to the people here instead of getting upset , I followed their advice and it has paid off.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
"wut shud I du, al my fish r ded,"
I do realize that that sentence is not funny, context-wise, but I have to admit, I spit up on my computer laughing at how you typed it. Does that make me a bad person?

That's exactly what I mean by spelling and grammer, too. Basically, text speak gets my hackles up. Language is a beautiful thing and we should feel blessed to be able to use it to express ourselves. Save your texting for just that, texting.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with pretty much all of the statements here. The grammar thing has always bugged me, and the spelling thing is a problem in some areas, although I fat finger more than a few words. Spell check is helpful to a point but it corrects in American not English. The future of the hobby is in the youth, and the fact is the youth of today seem terrible at spelling. I know more than a few university grads whose spelling is atrocious. As mentioned for many, English is a second language for many who post on forums that those of us who speak English frequent. Kudos to those people for being able to read and write more than one language. I will admit that on more than one occasion I have stopped reading a post because of the way it was written. These instances were clearly not from someone whose native tongue wasn't English. However, it is important to exercise tolerance and civility to keep the forum functioning as it is intended to.
To that end, we need to make sure we express opinions as such and not as fact. Facts need to be defended. There are a lot of myths in the hobby that are still floating around after the 50 years I have been in the hobby. These need to be challenged whenever they appear, as once read, they are repeated as fact.
The other thing that bothers me is the cavalier attitude some people have regarding other people's money. This hobby can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. There are almost always cheaper ways to do something to keep costs down. For many of the really young members, cost is a big issue, and we should keep that in mind when making recommendations. Personally, I think it would be a shame to lose a young hobbyist because of money.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

I do realize that that sentence is not funny, context-wise, but I have to admit, I spit up on my computer laughing at how you typed it. Does that make me a bad person?

That's exactly what I mean by spelling and grammer, too. Basically, text speak gets my hackles up. Language is a beautiful thing and we should feel blessed to be able to use it to express ourselves. Save your texting for just that, texting.
Exactly! There's the people who don't know English well and do their best, but when you start typing like "Wat R my fsh doin there nt lokin good????" then that's completely different.

As far as kids and their parents/money, I still depend on my parents to buy my fish supplies cause no one wants to hire me LOL. I stay with tanks, fish, and setups I know I can afford and won't go over budget though.

My own rant, the ones who buy fish who don't belong in small aquariums and come up with the excuse that they're going to upgrade to a much larger tank later when they can't keep the current tank running correctly.
Also the ones who receive the correct information but still go against it and look for one person to say it might be fine and justify their choice off of that.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with the grammar/spelling issue. Errors are one thing, but total lack of effort is another. I do understand that some people are using their cell phones to post, but still, the shortcuts normally only amount to 5 or so letters. So maybe an extra 5 seconds at most?

The lack of grammar/spelling usually goes along with an inability to use the search function and a refusal to use Google as well.

While I'm in a rant thread....

"Where did my fish go?"

Really? I don't see how anyone can help out in cases of missing fish. Maybe that's just me

I guess I could post when I lose my car keys as well. Perhaps some members are psychic.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I agree with pretty much all of the statements here. The grammar thing has always bugged me, and the spelling thing is a problem in some areas, although I fat finger more than a few words. Spell check is helpful to a point but it corrects in American not English. The future of the hobby is in the youth, and the fact is the youth of today seem terrible at spelling. I know more than a few university grads whose spelling is atrocious. As mentioned for many, English is a second language for many who post on forums that those of us who speak English frequent. Kudos to those people for being able to read and write more than one language. I will admit that on more than one occasion I have stopped reading a post because of the way it was written. These instances were clearly not from someone whose native tongue wasn't English. However, it is important to exercise tolerance and civility to keep the forum functioning as it is intended to.
To that end, we need to make sure we express opinions as such and not as fact. Facts need to be defended. There are a lot of myths in the hobby that are still floating around after the 50 years I have been in the hobby. These need to be challenged whenever they appear, as once read, they are repeated as fact.
The other thing that bothers me is the cavalier attitude some people have regarding other people's money. This hobby can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. There are almost always cheaper ways to do something to keep costs down. For many of the really young members, cost is a big issue, and we should keep that in mind when making recommendations. Personally, I think it would be a shame to lose a young hobbyist because of money.
Very well said. I just bought a 50lb bag of pool filter sand for $5 bucks as opposed to the prices of aquarium sand at the pet store being $20 a bag. There are always more cost effective avenues. But a good test kit is a necessity for the health and livelehood of any tank.
when I first posted this I was rather blunt. I am a nurse and I both work with and take care of people from all backgrounds. I feel the same frustrations when trying to educate patients and families about a healthy lifestyle. We cant make anyone do anything, all we can do is offer good information with solid facts and research to back it up. The rest is up to the individual.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

@ Ashleynicole - Posting **warning - rant - read at your own risk** certainly is attention getting. Most people WILL read and state their opinion. OR if really offended, leave the site. Not in response to my own threads realy, but I have seen some things on here that have made my mouth hang open. I am actually stunned at how disrespectful people are to others who have asked a question and requested help. Then they ask follow up questions and no one replies after giving them a little smack...

I would suggest that everyone consider that maybe you are talking to a friend or family member and realize that everyone on here has feelings and sensitivities that are their own. Regardless of how they type or what questions they ask, or their reasons - I believe that they ARE doing their best with what they have.

BTW - RE: Test kits, you CAN get a test kit online for around $22.00 including shipping. Far cheaper than the big boxes.

IF you have a credit card!

Amazon.com: Used and New: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 34 Fresh Water Aquarium Master Test Kit for Testing High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate Levels

However this is another thing I never knew I needed until I read it in this forum.

People come here because they are interested. Please be patient and understanding. If you cannot help for any reason (personal choices including) then don't - someone else will.

Janelle
Old 10-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgop
@ Ashleynicole - Posting **warning - rant - read at your own risk** certainly is attention getting. Most people WILL read and state their opinion. OR if really offended, leave the site. Not in response to my own threads realy, but I have seen some things on here that have made my mouth hang open. I am actually stunned at how disrespectful people are to others who have asked a question and requested help. Then they ask follow up questions and no one replies after giving them a little smack...

I would suggest that everyone consider that maybe you are talking to a friend or family member and realize that everyone on here has feelings and sensitivities that are their own. Regardless of how they type or what questions they ask, or their reasons - I believe that they ARE doing their best with what they have.

BTW - RE: Test kits, you CAN get a test kit online for around $22.00 including shipping. Far cheaper than the big boxes.

IF you have a credit card!

Amazon.com: Used and New: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 34 Fresh Water Aquarium Master Test Kit for Testing High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate Levels

However this is another thing I never knew I needed until I read it in this forum.

People come here because they are interested. Please be patient and understanding. If you cannot help for any reason (personal choices including) then don't - someone else will.

Janelle
I like this post very much so
Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to the lounge.

While it is fine to express differing opinions, please remember to do so in a respectful manner, and leave politics and stereotypes out of it. If you aren't sure what is appropriate to post, please review our rules here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ork&page=rules

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com