Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm a member on several forums and these moderators are very tame. If this is defined as overbearing, I don't know how a strict forum could be defined...

Dale_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #82
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

[QUOTE=jetajockey;1584438]I agree, but I don't really define it as bumping if someone just posts on their thread another question, or clarification, or if anyone else can help. It serves the same purpose, keeps some content flowing, and is more enjoyable to read than a post that says 'bump'.

This is exactly what the no bumping rule refers to. Thanks for clarifying that. Could not have said it better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree with all this. But it's funny how people reason with how they spend their money. Just today I was taking to some boatie, and notice that his liftjacket wasn't much of one. I told he should get a new one, but he replied saying it was too expensive. At that moment I notic he had a fish finder. I said to him, "nice fish finder." he replied with "thanks, cost 4,000 dollars."

And I'm all for grammar and spelling although I'm really bad at it, but make an effort. Everytime I see something like this "Omg, dat plox st8 h8" I think, well there goes the next Prime Minister
Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is interesting to see how people justify their spending. When a patient comes into the ER and tells me they cant afford their medicine, yet they have expensive shoes, designer purses , oh and their nails are done, how much does a manicure cost these days? I know I try not to be judgemental, they could be wearing knockoffs and costume jewelery, or they might have done their own nails, so I offer them the list of $4 meds at Walmart or target.

What's even worse is when people say they can't even afford the $4 prescriptions yet they have a pack of cigarettes in their pocket. How much do cigarettes cost. Priorities?

Woops , that rant was a little off topic

Serioously though, if you had pets and you lost your job or had an illness, then I completely understand that you have to do what you can to get by and provide the best you can for your animals. That's when you can do things like getting free water tests at the fish store and making sure not to buy any new fish or animals until your finances improve. Trust me I know have been there. The economy has been tough on everyone.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #85
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post

DragonFish mentioned how he went to the library as a kid and read all he could. I don't want to suggest that every book published is a credible source, but there was a little bit of a safety net in the publishing process. I don't think too many people published books that are just parroted bad information. I agree that you NEED to do research. But google doesn't fix everything.

Dragonfish is a highly snarktastic female I just have the picture of hubby and I because, well, I love the guy. He supports all my aquarium choices (*sigh* except for the 400g I could get for $200.00)

And no, google doesn't fix everything. I just completed about 3 weeks worth of research for some North American native fish I ordered. I found tons of info on 5 out of 6 species, on the 6th I found very conflicting info.

Soooo, I turned to my LFS first of all. They carry the fish in question (I didn't buy from them because of their pricing) I got a very informative answer on the compatibly of this fish. Then I went to my second LFS and got the same answer. Two for two. Lastly, when I called the company selling said fish, I went over all the same questions with the owner. Got the same answers. In talking to the owner I also confirmed my research on the other 5 species. Compatibility, temp, high or low current, feeding, water params, spacing, etc.

Only then did I submit my order (which is shipping on Monday *happy dance*)

My point is, google helps some. After you've gotten your core base of answers then you turn to where the practical knowledge is: the people who deal with these things on a daily basis.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rant

Am tired of all the experts on here pipping up in threads saying your tank isn't big enough for your tank. All the original poster was asking is do I need water in a fish tank.. Sarcasm....

In grade school I did a science fair project on fish growth rate vs. Living space. I had three tanks of goldfish 1 gal, 5 gal, and 10gal tanks were used. Five fish per. I weighed the fish, down to grams, every other day. What I found is that in the largest tank they did in fact grow faster and larger. So I am a believer that a fish will grow to a rate that matches it's living space. Most ppl on here like myself know a blue hippo isn't supposed to go in a 65 I do but like most ppl here plan to upgrade tank or give it new home oneday.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #87
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpeckj View Post
Am tired of all the experts on here pipping up in threads saying your tank isn't big enough for your tank.
But... having a tank that isn't big enough for your tank is a big deal

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #88
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpeckj View Post
Am tired of all the experts on here pipping up in threads saying your tank isn't big enough for your tank. All the original poster was asking is do I need water in a fish tank.. Sarcasm....

In grade school I did a science fair project on fish growth rate vs. Living space. I had three tanks of goldfish 1 gal, 5 gal, and 10gal tanks were used. Five fish per. I weighed the fish, down to grams, every other day. What I found is that in the largest tank they did in fact grow faster and larger. So I am a believer that a fish will grow to a rate that matches it's living space. Most ppl on here like myself know a blue hippo isn't supposed to go in a 65 I do but like most ppl here plan to upgrade tank or give it new home oneday.

Most people say they will upgrade, but honestly, many do not. It could be for many reasons, but they don't do it. Take a look at graigslist some time. You'll see set up like a 29g with a 10 inch oscar in it. It breaks my heart to see that.

If I see fish I like I start with the basic research:

what size will they get (average)

what do they eat

what special needs do they have (salt, low current, high current etc)

temperment/ compatibility

Then I plan the tank going by the adult size of the fish. Unless I already have the tank on hand. Then I research what can fit and be happy in it.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpeckj

That is an awesome science project! I went to the international science and engineering fair when I was in high school but my project was on bacterial resistance to .. well never mind that.

With any science project a significant amount of research is required from legitiment sources, and trust me those international people check the sources because these projects actually get published. (i guess that means I am a published scientist? Lol) I am curious as to what your research revealed on goldfish, because if I remember correctly, Goldfish secrete an enzyme or pheremone of some sort that when it reaches a specific concentration their growth gets stunted and they stop growing. However some fish will continue to grow and may become deformed if they are forced to live on a tank that is too small.

For your project to be credible you would have to do the same project with every breed of fish you want to apply the results to. In this case you can only apply the results to goldfish and to the specific type of goldfish you used.

Also you were limited to time and did you factor in water changes? There are so many variables. You could do one in one 10 gallon tank and only do a pwc every week, and do another one in another 10 gallon tank with daily water changes. Now that would be interesting to see of it made a difference!

Not to mention you would have to factor in water parameters and filtration.

Science is amazing.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #90
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A science project is fine and dandy... but unless you compare the lifespan of said fish, you're not going to see the detrimental effects. Sure, a big fish isn't going to grow as quickly in a small tank as it would a big tank. What you didn't consider is that it also isn't going to live as long, healthy, and happy. The fact is, you can get upset, mad, whatever... but none of us will willingly sit back and watch someone recommend a fish that gets too big for the CURRENT TANK, nor will we pass up on informing someone that their fish are too big. I don't care if you plan to get a bigger tank. I plan to win the lottery one day. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com