warning- rant- read at your own risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one is complaining about posters who are not native to the English language, or have cultural differences, or financial challenges. However, it is simply the responsible thing to do to try to identify your situation and deal with it as best you can.

As well, I don't own a Porsche (insert any higher priced car brand here) and complain about the money needed when parts are required. I simply don't buy the Porsche. Take responsibility for your decisions and your finances. Everyone comes in and out of situations in their lives, financial, emotional, and etc. No one is telling anyone who should have fish, what kind, or how big a tank they should have. Just take responsibility for the finances that exist along with the expenditures you have undertaken. If it is too much of a financial burden for you to have a large tank with expensive fishes, or a small tank with a disease, it may be time to take on a different hobby instead of asking for others to pay for yours.
Johnny said that he was upset about people criticizing him for being on a tight budget even when he explained that. Sorry, but I do see this go on here and it frustrates me. What if you can't find somebody to take your fish? It can be hard to re-home fish, especially in small towns. Then the responsible thing to do is to ask for help in the meantime so your fish don't suffer. I agree about responsibilty being like advil. Thats a great analogy. And no, I am not saying that people should permanently ask others to pay for their things, but sometimes, situations arise. Its really hard to ask for help because you are met with judgement. I am only talking about this on a limited basis though. It is an expensive hobby, so people should do their research before entering it.

Your rant pretty decent. Hope I spelled that right. But this is a forum as I'm sure you know. I do plenty of research , but it's always nice to get info from people who are living the hobby. You for sure didn't offend me , but I would say if you don't like it don't read it. Peoples grammar is what it is and rather it's correct or not I'm sure a intelligent person LIKE YOURSELF can still understand it , so is it really worth all that. I would say not

Absolute angel, I should make clear that the criticism about the tight budget was on another forum. It was actually the reason I stopped using that forum (for the most part) and sought out another. This is the one I found, and the attitude here is MUCH better.

For the most part, people here are very kind and civil. I see a lot more of "when you can, it really is a good idea to get a test kit", rather than "you need to go get a test kit right now!". I have seen a little of the latter here, and that does bother me. So taking my own advice and keeping it all in perspective...people here are pretty nice and it would be really hard to get me to leave this forum.

That said, I must also agree with Eco. I have seen people on every forum I have used that simply parrot advice that they have gotten from others. I personally have a hard time taking advice from someone who cannot also help me understand WHY I am supposed to do something one way or another. I also think we need to be very careful about thinking there is only one way to do anything. We all have different situations, and it would be good to keep in mind that what works best for us, may not always work best for others.

I would also like to say thank you to all the kind people of this community. I got pretty fed up with forums and the people on them before I found this one. I have been in the hobby for less than a year, and honestly its been a while since I have had a hobby. It would have been really sad if I gave up on fish keeping because some cranky person half way across the nation doesn't like the way I keep my aquariums.

Dale_I said:
:agree:
I agree with both the original rant, and the secondary. It is important to realize that I don't think either member is talking in absolutes here. Just a reasonable expectation of communication etiquette.

For those who take offense, and others concerned that this offense will lead to members moving off the forum, I would like to propose that NOT recognizing that these issues are frustrating ARE causing people not to join, or to leave as well. I know I have stopped from posting in certain threads simply because I don't like having to figure out what words the poster means while abbreviating (or should I say butchering) the language, or trying to telepathically discern where their punctuation should have been to make sense of the sentence.

Responsibility is like aspirin, those who take it have less headaches.

Being a part/member of an open forum brings with it the responsibility to treat communication with respect. It is hard enough to attribute tone and emotion to posts without trying to figure out what is being said.

No one is complaining about posters who are not native to the English language, or have cultural differences, or financial challenges. However, it is simply the responsible thing to do to try to identify your situation and deal with it as best you can.

Are is not spelled r. You is not spelled u. None of us is saying you need to be an English major to post, just respectful of the time other members are giving to this community to be a part of it. If you don't have the time to write the extra two letters or insert punctuation, don't expect others to give you the time when you need advice/help.

Any forum is nothing more than a reflection of its membership. If small efforts to effectively communicate are above your effort level, I would suggest not becoming a member of a forum where the minimum level of effort requires written communication.

As well, I don't own a Porsche (insert any higher priced car brand here) and complain about the money needed when parts are required. I simply don't buy the Porsche. Take responsibility for your decisions and your finances. Everyone comes in and out of situations in their lives, financial, emotional, and etc. No one is telling anyone who should have fish, what kind, or how big a tank they should have. Just take responsibility for the finances that exist along with the expenditures you have undertaken. If it is too much of a financial burden for you to have a large tank with expensive fishes, or a small tank with a disease, it may be time to take on a different hobby instead of asking for others to pay for yours.

I wouldn't even mind if they would ask once and then those who decide to respond have an opportunity. It is the constant repetition of requests that get to me.

--- Hmmm --- is this a rant?

Very well worded. I know I am not the only person with some of these frustrations when trying to help others. If some are wondering why nobody responds to your question, maybe it would be worth trying to give more information and make sure you spell words out and don't use "text talk". It's not really about grammar and spelling. But more about the effort you put into trying to be coherent.

I really like the Porsche comparison. You have to buy what you can afford. Provide for your family first and if you have time and money for a pet that's great. But if you don't then you have no business buying fish or any living animal.

I agree with a lot of what has been said (written). I'd just like to add one more thing. It is when some one asks a question and no one bothers to reply. It has happened to me and many others. It may seem like a silly question that doesn't deserve an answer but usually the person asking the question is in real need if help/advise. Usually I find myself trying to answer their questions instead of someone more experienced.

Your rant pretty decent. Hope I spelled that right. But this is a forum as I'm sure you know. I do plenty of research , but it's always nice to get info from people who are living the hobby. You for sure didn't offend me , but I would say if you don't like it don't read it. Peoples grammar is what it is and rather it's correct or not I'm sure a intelligent person LIKE YOURSELF can still understand it , so is it really worth all that. I would say not

As has been stated many times in this thread, it's not so much the misspelling or grammatical errors as the text speak.

Which is easier to read, comprehend and give a good, informative response to:

" Sorry that all your fish look sick, what are your water parameters?"

or

" Sry al ur fsh lok sck wat r ur wtr par"

It's not a matter of "you don't like it, don't read it" for those of us who want to help people, much less those of us who's "job" it is to try and help. If you are asking for help, do it where a person can understand the gist of your question.

The only other thing I can add to this is: have you loved your mods today?

Think about it. You all are ranting about the very things we have to try and work with every day. We do not have the luxury of ignoring the post and hoping it goes away in a day or two. We constantly try to keep the standards up on this site.

So show a little love....

Mumma....the lack of reply(ies) could simply be that no one who has read the question knows the answer. Despite the years of experience here, new issues can still arise and the research has to start. That is when we all learn together. :D

As for spelling and grammar, I am the first to admit that my typing is terrible and I don't always catch switched letters..like ot for to nd fi for if..or like I just did, didn't hit the "a" key hard enough to get the "and" out. I try to catch them after I post and edit but sometimes miss. I speak very good "typoease" and for the most part, other than paragraphs with no punctuation, can understand what someone is saying..the one thing I do not like is using text speak...that is for text messages..not forum posts. :thanks:

Absolute angel, I should make clear that the criticism about the tight budget was on another forum. It was actually the reason I stopped using that forum (for the most part) and sought out another. This is the one I found, and the attitude here is MUCH better.

For the most part, people here are very kind and civil. I see a lot more of "when you can, it really is a good idea to get a test kit", rather than "you need to go get a test kit right now!". I have seen a little of the latter here, and that does bother me. So taking my own advice and keeping it all in perspective...people here are pretty nice and it would be really hard to get me to leave this forum.

That said, I must also agree with Eco. I have seen people on every forum I have used that simply parrot advice that they have gotten from others. I personally have a hard time taking advice from someone who cannot also help me understand WHY I am supposed to do something one way or another. I also think we need to be very careful about thinking there is only one way to do anything. We all have different situations, and it would be good to keep in mind that what works best for us, may not always work best for others.

I would also like to say thank you to all the kind people of this community. I got pretty fed up with forums and the people on them before I found this one. I have been in the hobby for less than a year, and honestly its been a while since I have had a hobby. It would have been really sad if I gave up on fish keeping because some cranky person half way across the nation doesn't like the way I keep my aquariums.
I apologize. I missed that. Sorry to all. I am genuinely glad that nobody here treated you like that.
Anyway, I typed something out, then deleted it. I guess this got too personal for me, and several people have genuinely offended me.
:) I know that sometimes people need to voice their frustrations and its my fault for letting something become personal when you are all just talking and venting. Anyway, sorry, my bad. I hope you feel less frustrated after this.:)

Mumma.of.two said:
I agree with a lot of what has been said (written). I'd just like to add one more thing. It is when some one asks a question and no one bothers to reply. It has happened to me and many others. It may seem like a silly question that doesn't deserve an answer but usually the person asking the question is in real need if help/advise. Usually I find myself trying to answer their questions instead of someone more experienced.

A lot of folk use "an app for that". Sometimes on a busy day/night a question may fall off the first page or two. This happens on all forums not just this one. Sometimes you just don't have the time to keep loading more threads. Don't be afraid to bump your question if you think this is the case. Someone will usually answer even if it is only to say "sorry, I have no clue why this or that is happening".

@mods: we love you guys. Keep up the great work!

A lot of folk use "an app for that". Sometimes on a busy day/night a question may fall off the first page or two. This happens on all forums not just this one. Sometimes you just don't have the time to keep loading more threads. Don't be afraid to bump your question if you think this is the case. Someone will usually answer even if it is only to say "sorry, I have no clue why this or that is happening".

Actually, bumping is against site rules.

Mumma.of.two said:

Whenever I "pass" on a thread, it's because it's a question that should be googled rather than asked. These are simple questions, like "Is my pH too high?" or such, answers that have been answered many times in many places. The AA collective should not be a replacement for personal research with google, but rather a supplement to it.

DragonFish71 said:

Really? How odd. I did not know that. I understand it can get out of hand. Just file everything I said in the circular electron bin. Not the first time and wont be the last. ;)

This is straight from the rules:

"Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is not permitted. Posts with violations may be edited or deleted without notification.

The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite.
"

:D

OK, so you can only post a question one time.
And if the first 5 people to see it cant answer it, and it gets flooded by new posts to the next page and no one else see's it, you cant bump it in hopes that others will see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you can only post a question one time.
And if the first 5 people to see it cant answer it, and it gets flooded by new posts to the next page and no one else see's it, you cant bump it in hopes that others will see it.
You certainly have a right to post your opinion... but try to keep your opinion civil, mature, and on topic please.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Participants may not post or bump threads to pad post counts or to keep a thread active. Bumping is posting useless information, posting one-liners or other 'content-free' posts to deliberately keep a thread hot."

To me that means you can't bump in order to increase your post count or try to keep a thread active for no reason
. But iff you can't find your answer any other way and you really need help and if your topic has fallen off of the first page, I don't see why you couldn't bump it just once. I'm not a moderator here, but I think that in some cases bumping would be acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom