Was at our lfs today and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another customer was asking the fish person about one of his neon tetras/some kind of tetra... said he was swimming oddly and what could he do.

He was basically told not to worry too much about one fish, and that it is expected to lose one or two of neon tetras when you get some. He did say it could be swim bladder disease or something like that though.

That kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but, I dunno. I don't know how easy it would be to treat one little fish like that either. I know if we had to try to treat a particular pygmy catfish, we'd have a heck of a time catching him! They do NOT want to be caught.

Otherwise he is pretty helpful and seems to know a good amount of things, but, eh, I hate hearing stuff like that :( I wanted to tell the customer to go to this website!

What do you all think?

I know some people get very attached/emotional about fish, but personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over a couple of neon tetras. They're a fairly delicate fish, and unless the water conditions are pretty close to optimal for them they don't tend to last long. Even then the stress of importing them, moving among tanks between the distributor, retailer, and customers home takes a toll on them. I know someone who received whole shipments of them and lost every one in a couple days. They looked healthy enough, but they still dropped like flies.

That makes sense :(. Poor tetras :(

Sounds like he wasn't off, then :(

I'm glad the customer was concerned though.

Back
Top Bottom