Water Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
I don't know about you guys, but I use a lot of water for my tanks. That said, my sewer bill is based off my water meter reading. Now, I have a python, but to save water, I run the hose out the door or window and it siphons outside. Basically, I'm paying for sewer for the water I'm putting in my tank, then back outside.

I found out something interesting though. I had a guy over last night to buy all my africans. He was telling me that he has several buddies in town that called the water company and told them they have several aquariums and that the biggest portion of their water bill is from doing water changes. They also said that they do what I do and run the water outside. Apparently, their water bill was lowered about $10-15 on average per month. Of course, I forgot to call tonight before they closed. Anybody else called their water company about this? If they'll lower mine, that would be awesome. Mike, I'm sure you have some input on this.

For irrigation purposes and possibly for fish tanks even though I have never heard that you can get a companion meter that you will only get charged for the water that flows through that meter. In our county you get charged for water and twice the water charge for sewer. But with that companion meter just that water usually just for irrigation is not charged the sewer.

The way he said, they just told them that they use approximately x amount of gallons in water changes every week and they adjusted it accordingly. I mean, it makes sense in one way, but at the same time, I don't see them just taking my word for it. Either way, I'm going to call them as soon as they open. Not sure if that's going to be tomorrow or if they're closed until monday. I'll definitely post the results. If its something they do, it might be something more people should look in to.

In regards to the separate meter, yeah that would be kind of hard to do. For a sprinkler system or something like that I can see how that would work. It would be hard to meter the water for a fish tank. Especially since mine has to go through the hot water heater first.

We're lucky, our water is paid by the HOA (lawn care is on them) and as long as our usage is reasonable, no repercussions.

All our tank water (sans meds from QT) goes into our flower and garden beds and they love the nutrients in it. There's enough turnover, I haven't used the garden hose to water them since we moved in.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom