Water Bill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the fish are the least of their offenses.

I found this house to begin with, i spoke with the landlord and got us all into it. I had a deal with the landlord to do a few odd jobs around the house and he would take the money off my rent. Then one of my roommates managed to piss off my landlord so much while i was away, that he took that offer off the table. The landlord refuses to speak with anyone but me, because the other kids are too childish. Anything that needs to get done around the house, like mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, etc. If that doesn't get done by me, it simply doesn't get done.

These kids have done stupid things many times and i have had to cover up for them, i have had to smooth it over with the landlord. The only thing my landlord was very devout about was getting the rent in on time. Of course, even though these kids are not paying the rent, mommy and daddy are, at least one of their rent checks is late every month.

Then after they throw these huge parties, they told me i needed to help them clean up because i am also a member of this household. I laughed in their faces, asked if i was a member of the household when this party was planned, etc. I of course did not help clean up :D

At first i was really really upset over them, and it was the cause of a lot of stress, but now i just think its funny. I'm currently looking for a new place to stay. When i find one, i will call the landlord and tell him that i will be moving out and giving him 2 months of notice. I have a 1 year lease, but i'm sure if it comes down to it i can easily get out of it by stating i don't feel safe living in an enviornment where illegal drugs are being used and in some cases sold (which is true.)

Fortunately when i woke up this morning i am left with 2 cherry barbs, my CAE has reappeared, and 2 corys. They all are healthy and have started eating. I'll do another water change and wait until after thanksgiving weekend to get any more fish.

Be careful what cards you play with your landlord. As right as you may feel you are, you signed a lease. When push comes to shove, that signature holds you to a lot of responsibilities. Also, it's a crime in some states to not report illegal activity that you know is going on, so be prepared to deal with the repurcusions of that one if you decide to mention it only for personal gain. I don't know what your financial situation is, but imo it would make more sense to enlist your landlord to kick out the roommates for the mentioned reasons and find new ones than to leave him with these schmucks. He may even be perceptive to helping with rent in the meantime since he doesn't have to deal with problem tenants. After all, why should you move when you are not the problem? Good-luck!

I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time i don't think i would be able to get 3 other tenants. My financial situation is not nearly able to cope with the huge spike in rent i would see.

I do not want to get these kids in trouble. I understand that the signature holds responsibilites and that is why i will not move out without my landlord's explicit permission. I simply need to remove myself from this situation.

Although it would really suck for my landlord to be left with these shmucks as you say, i am no longer willing to baby sit these kids. I work 6 and often 7 days a week, and have very little time to deal with everything by myself.

And to sum up the water bill- i tried my best but the water company will not reason with me. The previous bill was $52 for 1.5 months and this bill is $414 for 3 months. The only thing i can think of is that we use far too much water. I don't see it happening, but then again i am in the house for maybe 4 hours out of the day when i'm not sleeping, whereas my roommates are only OUT of the house for 2-3 hours a day. So who knows.

I really appreciate all of your guys support so far though. My roommate said "well i guess we're just going to have to cut down on our water usage." which is all fine and dandy, and thats what he says to me about everything but he still leaves the lights on, lights candles and leaves the house, windows open, etc.

They are fun people to hang around but i have realized they are not true friends at all, and are wholly irresponsible and arrogant. There's nothing i can do about that.

I am sure that however i go about this i will recieve the short end of the stick, as they say. Seems like that has been the deal this whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom