Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water Bill!

I live in a house in a Bristol RI, with 3 other roommates who go to RWU.

I recieved the first water bill for the period of something like 36 days. The bill was $56, most of which was the service charge, and the actual water usage amounted to 12 or so dollars.

This time, i recieved a bill for 3 full months, and the bill was $415! It shows gallons used as 56,000! That would mean that each person in my house used 220 gallons of water a day! Is that even possible? At my father's house in CT, he has a 15,000 gallon in ground swimming pool. Its huge!

I called up to make sure they didn't make a miscalculation or something, as i assumed they had read the meter wrong or something. They sent a guy out who assured me that there were no leaks and that this amount of water was normal.

I am at class from 8-12 and go straight to work from 12-8 every day, so i'm not even in the house using water very often. My other 3 roommates do not have jobs and do sit around in the house all day, but even so, isn't this amount of water a little bit obscene?

Any one have any clue?

Old 11-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats crazy! Our highest bill was $50 one month and we freaked out.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

18,000+ gallons a month does seem like a lot of water to me.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everyone i talk to says that the amount of water seems really high.

Hmm... i just went out to see if i could take the latch off and see what the meter read. It has a Pentagonal bolt on it so you need a special tool. I probably shouldn't even look at it anyway so i don't get in trouble. Anyhow, i noticed that when the guy went to look at it this morning, head to remove all the grass and dirt that had grown over the cover. Yet the bill says the meter was read on 11/06. Todays date is 11/16. So in 10 days, in New England November, they are telling me that grass was able to develop nice thick sod over the meter cover, about 2" thick?

I am almost positive that the guy who came out just checked to see if i had a leak also. He said that the meter was not moving at all, which is good because that tells him there is no running water in the house (duh). The guy was very nice, but i think his job for the day was to make sure i didn't have a leak. I know there are no leaks in the house, now we know there are no leaks in the pipe from the meter. SO WHERE DID THE 56,000 GALLONS GO?

They must have either read it wrong, or have been averaging instead of actually taking readings and just found out they forgot to charge $200 to the previous tenants based on averaging. I am tired of living off of rice and pasta because i'm paying so much for utility bills, which ironically both need to be boiled in water!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would check again and make sure you don't have a leak, where the water comes from the city hook up.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Dang, I have a leaky flush valve in my toilet (that I don't know how to fix LOL) and my water bill only went up from the usual $40 to $60. I think something's wrong there will your bill. Definitely.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know about CT, but in MI we have a state law that says the meter must be actually read at least once a year so estimations don't get out of hand. It almost sounds like they were billing you for estimated readings for a while then finally got around to actually checking it and this huge discrepancy came up.

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well here's the thing-

I've been in the house since July.

So that means the discrepency is from the previous tenants! I am definitely not paying for them!!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It sure could be... You should be able to get a billing and usage history from your water company. Each month should say somewhere wether the bill was based on a reading or estimation. I would go right to the water office if I was you... It will be a lot quicker than dealing with them over the phone or by mail; and, they should be able to pull all that info up while you are there and figure it out right away. They should have a record of whose name the bill for that address has been in, but bring a copy of your lease anyway just in case you need to prove to them how long you have been there.
Or it could be a leak as mentioned. You would think someone would have noticed something leaking thousands of gallons of water a day though... Good luck!

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd agree that the usage seems very high, but in my latest experience the amount isn't. We live in an area with some pretty strict water restrictions. The month of September (the month we moved here) we unknowingly went over our water "limit". In addition to the already jacked-up price of water, we were slapped with a "fine". Total bill came out to $600... we presented our case to the city that we were new to the area and weren't aware of any usage "limits" and they knocked off the fine. Bill was still a cold $200 (included service fees and the new sign-up junk). Bill for October was about $130 I believe.

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com