Water change disscus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamingdragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
The right water change. Ok a lot saying 50% water change and some say 25% water change. Some say once a month water change some say 14 days water change. So i have put this to the test with my 3 tanks. 125 .55. 77 gallon tank. My 125 high over stock and good filters fluval fx6 fluval aqua clear 110 plus powerhead filter. I did first 50% water change i use api stress enzym and stress coat. 1 hour later i test the water nitrite 20 ppm nitrate 10 ppm from a stabele condition. 1 week later i did the same thing but now 20% water change. Before water change i did a test. 0 amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate ph 8.2. It had no effect on the test result.what tells me that a 50% water change every week is to much and from now on i do once in the 14 days a water change. Also it has to do with how much you feed your fish. But i always had a problem with a 50% water change what do you guys think.

Sent from my NX008HI using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't even get the hose out to do less than 50%. Unless you have 0 nitrates, you aren't changing too much or too often. Even if you did in fact have 0 nitrate, which isn't really possible unless you have a huge bunch of voracious fast growing plants and few fish. You really can't change too much water.

I have notice that there are alot of beneficial bacteria that is going to be lost with a 50% water change and that effect your water level. So it takes time to get them back. Right . Just my exspirance. I hear a lot after a 50% water change people run into trouble with there water level yes and 10 ppm nitrate is with in level. Not the point. You want the levels low as possible. Every time i do 50% water change i run in to trouble. Now with a 20 to 25 % water change i have np. Intressting why the most of you doin't have that problem.

Sent from my NX008HI using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is a whole lot going in here... You said 20 ppm nitrite and 10 ppm. Nitrate?? You sure ? Than you said 0 nitrate? What test are you using? Also 90% of bb is in your filter, very little if any us present in the water. Theoretically you could do a 95% wc without disrupting any bb. Do you use prime as a water conditioner? Some water will not be suitable for aquariums having not been treated with the proper conditioner..

Back
Top Bottom