Water changes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How often do you do waterchanges?
how much water do you change out?
how big is your tank?
(if you want to share) what is your stock?

60g hex community tank-planted ... I change 45-55% every 7-10 days

29g with black Moor and calico telescope I change out 40-55% every 5-7 days

previously 10g ( now 20g extra high as of 2 days ago) I change about 80% every 5-7 days

30 Gallon long community tank; 25% water change once/week (it used to be overstocked and I did 25% water changes every 2 days with a 50% water change at the end of each month)

20 Gallon Tall community tank; 25% water change every 2 weeks

2.5 Gallon betta bowl; 85% water change every 3-4 days (don't like betta bowls; got three for free with bettas. 2 bettas have been moved (one in each community tank) and the third will be moved once our next tank is set-up)

70g heavily planted community - 50% every 5-10 days
40g goldfish - 50% 1-2 times a week
26g goldfish just set up - going to be 50% 1-2 times a week
17g community lightly planted - 50% once a week
10g Betta and rasboras lightly planted - 50% once a week
8g Betta heavily planted - 50% 5-10 days
2.5g Betta - 50% twice a week
I do have some sort of order when it comes to PWC but nothing strict. I rarely do more than three tanks on one day. It's too hard with two little kids hanging around your feet.
Stock list in my profile.

Water Changes

How often do you do waterchanges?
how much water do you change out?
how big is your tank?
(if you want to share) what is your stock?

Hello r...

This is one of my favorite tank subjects. If you're getting out the equipment for doing a water change, then I suggest you make it worth the effort.

The reason is your fish are living in their own waste products and need a constant flow of a lot of clean, treated water flushed through the tank regularly. A 25 to 30 percent water change isn't much better than no change at all.

The reason is that the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates build up in the tank every minute and the longer the pollutants stay in the water, the more it weakens the fishes' immune system. That's the reason, tank keepers have issues with sick fish and deal with parsites like "Ich".

I change 60 to 70 percent of the water in my tanks every week. By doing this, there's no time for pollutants to build up in the water before the next large change.

I learned a long time ago, that the more tank water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be.

B

40 gallon planted, 50% every sunday, no matter what. Stock in my profile

55 gal mbuna - 50-70% weekly
55 gal planted tropical - 50-60% weekly
20 gal planted guppy - 60-70% weekly

I used to vacuum/siphon all tanks, then refill them all to save some time hooking up to sink. Now I complete each before moving on. It takes a little more time but i can spend more time cleaning filter or rearranging aquascape without rushing, and take a break when I feel lazy. It's better for the fish and more relaxing for me.

Slade said:
55 gal mbuna - 50-70% weekly
55 gal planted tropical - 50-60% weekly
20 gal planted guppy - 60-70% weekly

I used to vacuum/siphon all tanks, then refill them all to save some time hooking up to sink. Now I complete each before moving on. It takes a little more time but i can spend more time cleaning filter or rearranging aquascape without rushing, and take a break when I feel lazy. It's better for the fish and more relaxing for me.

I do the same thing depending on my ambition and energy level .. either do one at a time or drain all then fill all

30 gallon about 50% every saturday gravel gets vacuumed at the same time because I used a water changer. 8 neons 8 zebra danios 1 adf and 3 ottos for now. As soon as I get another filter going I would like to get a GBR or some type of bigger fish.

Back
Top Bottom