Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you guys think about water changes do you hate them? Love them? Or just don't really care? I actually like doing them its kind of relaxing...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I find them relaxing once I get started and into it. What I can never figure out is it takes me all up between 90 to 120 minutes each week on DT which is 150 gal but the 5 gal takes about 20 minutes or longer. I always think the 5 gal should be a 5 minute job but it never is.

I'm sort of in the middle on them. Not a hassle but I wouldn't say I love doing them.

I do them with care because I know it benefits the health of my fish. I study during the display water change because it takes like an hour+

Caleb

It is necessary. If well organized, (routine), it is no longer difficult.
Every morning a tank. One third. You always have healthy fish and beautiful plants. Check. TTS maximum 200 ppm.
Greetings

It is necessary. If well organized, (routine), it is no longer difficult.
Every morning a tank. One third. You always have healthy fish and beautiful plants. Check. TTS maximum 200 ppm.
Greetings

That's strange. My plants are always healthy and so are my fish. I change my water much less often and I have 150ppm TDS (I assume you meant?) :)

OP Water changes are 100% necessary but the frequency and amount really depends on the tank in question in my opinion. The more experienced you become and the more familiar you become with how your tank and livestock reacts to water changes you can easily devise your own routine with good reasoning.

Most people do 50% water changes once a week. I would advise the same to beginners. Now I do water changes much less often and little and sold one of my tanks. I don't mind water changes at all :D

Yes, you are right. It should not be generalized. It depends on the fish population, from feeding, from the filter and also on the quality of the tap water. If you have 150 ppm, it is very good.
Greetings

Yes, you are right. It should not be generalized. It depends on the fish population, from feeding, from the filter and also on the quality of the tap water. If you have 150 ppm, it is very good.
Greetings

My tap water is more like 60ppm it has risen and seems to have capped at 150ppm for now. I was just making a point that even with my less stringent regime TDS is still lower. You are right about not generalising though. 50% once a week would cover most bases.

I personally feel better after doing a wc because I can tell that my fish are saying "ahhh that feels better." Also it's my way of relaxing. I just put some jams on and go to town.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always DREAD water changes and then think "woah, that wasn't bad at all!" They take about 30 mins for a 29 gallon tank.

I hated water changes until I invested in a python style water changer. Its effortless now and no excuses. I can do 60-75% on all my tanks in about an hour total. 55, 65, 29, 10g tanks.

Jesse

I hated water changes until I invested in a python style water changer. Its effortless now and no excuses. I can do 60-75% on all my tanks in about an hour total. 55, 65, 29, 10g tanks.

Jesse

If you are one of the lucky ones with a threaded faucet for suction lol. takes me an hour and a half to do 50% on my 75g with a python just a good ole siphon.

Caleb

If you are one of the lucky ones with a threaded faucet for suction lol. takes me an hour and a half to do 50% on my 75g with a python just a good ole siphon.

Caleb

My faucet is threaded but its super old and weird and nothing will screw onto it that's older than 2003...

I'm sure you could use an Aqueon changer on it. It has several adapters. Haven't encountered a threaded faucet, neither internal or external threads, that I couldn't use it on

I'm sure you could use an Aqueon changer on it. It has several adapters. Haven't encountered a threaded faucet, neither internal or external threads, that I couldn't use it on

Thanks!

So I have deal with my mother when she's feeling well enough. I take the water out of the tanks and siphon the debris which she hates and she fills the tanks with the hose which I hate. That way I can siphon while she fills and it goes faster. Otherwise I siphon all the tanks and then fill all the tanks at once. Kinda of a pain because I use different siphons on different tanks to avoid cross contamination just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I have deal with my mother when she's feeling well enough. I take the water out of the tanks and siphon the debris which she hates and she fills the tanks with the hose which I hate. That way I can siphon while she fills and it goes faster. Otherwise I siphon all the tanks and then fill all the tanks at once. Kinda of a pain because I use different siphons on different tanks to avoid cross contamination just in case.

The hose? Wont the fish die from chlorine poisoning?

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I can't exactly say how I "feel" about waterchanges.
I change water,no doubt.
I like the signature of an friend;
"Change as much water as you can as often as you can"
Many breeders just do this without real attention.
It is water change day (again) and I will change as much as I can today.
I'll definitely do over 50% on over 600 gallons this weekend.
No PYTHON here and ALL water prepped before installed!
I still have a little automation to help,like rolling rubbermaids and pumps.
Pumps to pump in ,pumps to pump out,pumps just to circulate all the water!!

Most breeders list waterchanges as #1 in the program.

The hose? Wont the fish die from chlorine poisoning?

I dose Prime just prior to filling the tanks. I dose for the tank size not the amount of water I'm adding. I have a digital thermometer to monitor temp.

I dose Prime just prior to filling the tanks. I dose for the tank size not the amount of water I'm adding. I have a digital thermometer to monitor temp.

Good ta hear!

The water should a week stale be . Filled with the shower, (chlorine escapes). About a week it takes to room temperature and loses the residual chlorine. This is very well tolerated by the fish.

Back
Top Bottom