Water Changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkeyboy0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 Gallon tank with 2 goldfish. They are both completely healthy and happy. I try to do weekly water changes, but find it sort of problematic, as my room with my tank is on the second story. I usually bucket up water to my room with the stairs, but for larger water changes, I end up having to take a hose outside, lower a rope, tie the hose up, and pull the hose up through the window of my room. As you can imagine, it is a very messy and wet process either way. I would like to do something to change this, but don't really know what my options are regarding it. I have slowly been putting off water changes more and more because of the hassle it is to do them. It gets in the way of my family, and I always feel especially awkward lugging around a giant bucket through the house splashing water everywhere. The fish in my tank are still healthy, but I don't want my neglect to affect their health in the long run. Does anybody here have any ideas with what I can do? I am pretty much willing to try anything at this point... Thank you!

Have you looked at a Python or similar water changing device? You can also just make your own.

I haven't changed water with buckets in.......a long time.

Investigate using a Python... It can connect a hose to a bathroom sink, if you have one of those on the 2nd floor with you?

Haha ordered my extra long python and it works like a charm! I have to connect it downstairs, but it works exactly how I needed it to! Thank you!

Hello Mon...

There are fish tanks that require no water changes. You immerse the rinsed off roots of the Chinese Evergreen house plant in the tank with the leaves above the water. You just top off the tank with Reverse Osmosis (RO) water that has the minerals removed.

The plant roots remove all forms of nitrogen the fish produce through their waste and the water stays clean. You do have to use RO water to top off the tank or minerals can build up to toxic levels. This build up takes many months, if not years before it becomes toxic to the fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom